Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Book House Cleaning _fof _fof _fof  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Shop Now STEMClub17_gno

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 67 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 220 reviews
on November 6, 2016
There is something very special about this book. It's something that's hard to describe, yet I'll do my best to describe it anyways.

I can tell how he wrote the book, Robert Bakker doesn't just see dinosaurs and Mesozoic ecosystems as something he's studied as a paleontologist. He has this love for dinosaurs and this passion just oozes out of the book while you're reading it. You can really tell he doesn't just study them, he loves them, and he gets you to love them too.

The way he gets into the head of a prehistoric predator and narrates her feelings, emotions, and actions is an incredible idea and he executed it fantastically. He does a great job portraying Raptor Red and her family as a group of beautiful, intelligent, sentient creatures as well as a lethal carnivores. His insight and speculation into how he believes these animals may have behaved and interacted was fascinating, logically composed, and frequently silly.

Great books come and go. Raptor Red was more than a great book. It's an unforgettable book.
on October 5, 2016
This is a good book for teens/young adults written by the paleontologist who consulted on the Jurassic Park movie. It follows a female Utahraptor through her life and interactions with other members of her family, her species, and other species, including climate events and geographical shifts. There is a lot of information in the book which is accurate for learning more about Utahraptor in particular, without sounding like a textbook. The thought processes as they are explained are obviously just conjecture based on what information was available to the author. There is not a lot of violence/sex/profanity, but all three do make an appearance. I would let a young child read it if they were at (or close to) the appropriate reading level (I probably could have read and understood it in second grade, but I learned to read at 4).
on May 27, 2014
I am twelve years old, and I think that Robert Bakker writes an intense and intriguing adventure. An adventure about a Utahraptor. The story states many achievements and it is strangely relatable to our life as humans. The daily life of a Utahraptor is more complex than I would ever imagined.
I would not recommend this to a young child. The language is complex. There are also many violent descriptions. I think Robert Bakker wants to put the reader in the element of being a Utahraptor both physically and emotionally. The reader is bombarded with extreme situations.
One minute you are bracing yourself for the Utahraptors next kill and the next minute you’re sad because she is pulled in two directions emotionally. The family bonds in this book are just part of the story. The Utahrapture’s message is perseverance against all odds. She battles through all elements.
The author has a way of capturing the moment of giving you details that draw you closer to the story. Seeing the world through Raptor Red’s eyes is beautiful and terrifying. The sights she sees will follow you throughout your day. You will be drawn back to the book and it is hard to put down.
In conclusion I give this book four stars because as good as the description were sometimes you would get lost between a description and the story. Otherwise it is a very educational book. It is also original with the idea of a dinosaur’s point of view. I would recommend this book to those who are interested in dinosaurs, reading, action, and sadness
on August 25, 2015
The story is during the Early Cretaceous not Jurassic, as one of the posts say. The author discusses early stages in Jurassic as an evolutionary lead up to the story, as well as at the end as he summarizes the later stages of the Cretaceous as a conclusion to the story. Bakker does a good job looking at birds in and other living animals to predict the behaviors of complex apex predators interacting nearly 100 to 120 million years ago. Great story I loved it! He mentions Utahraptor, Iguanadon, Deinonychus, Allosaurus, Acrocanthosaur, Sauropods and the whip tails, Old and young Petrodactyls, Ankylosaurs. etc. Bakker also discusses some of the movements they made in the interim ice ages as they evolved and were thrust into brand new environments in the Laurasia split up and Isolated North America.
on October 11, 2015
I first read this book years ago when going through a dino loving stage. Saw this on Amazon and decided to try it again. I enjoyed reading it as much now as a I did while a preteen. The book follows a female Utahraptor as she travels searching for food, caring for her family, and keeping an eye out for a potential mate. Without humanizing Raptor Red, the author still manages to help the reader understand what is going on through her eyes. The reader also receives other dinosaurs' POV for a better understanding of her surroundings. Who knew dino drama was so entertaining? I definately suggest this to dino fans. Especially since it was written by a guy who digs up their bones and helped Spielberg with Jurassic Park. He knows his dinosaurs.
on March 24, 2016
There are not a lot of novels about non-anthropomorphic animal characters. Robert Bakker does an amazing job bringing the early Cretaceous to life, and delivers an engaging story about a family of Utahraptors caught up in a changing world.

You get into the heads of the characters, see their personalities and their perspectives on things (i.e. Raptor Red and her consort first encounter Kronosaurs and learn to make a game of baiting them.) Bakker also provides excellent scientific knowledge, suitable for beginners or professionals.

If you like dinosaurs, this book is for you!
on August 31, 2010
This book surprised me in a good way. I was familiar with Bakker's reputation as a palaeontolgist so I knew the information would be scientifically sound but I was worried it would either be too dry and factual to be interesting or be too over-dramatised. In fact, Bakker's background gives a wonderful richness to the Cretaceous environment without detracting from the main storyline.

The main character is a carnivorous dinosaur known as 'Raptor Red'. Raptor Red and her mate have just migrated into new territory when her mate is accidentally killed. It's slow to start but the book really hits its stride when she reunites with her sister and they deal with the challenges of their environment together. It is clear that Bakker has gone to lengths to make sure these are not just human characters in dinosaur skins - they behave like real animals. They have their own distinct personalities and give the feeling that this is a written documentary following a real pack rather than a fictional reconstruction of an animal that we have never had the opportunity to observe directly. I love Raptor Red's curiosity and playfulness and her relationships with the other Utahraptors. Anybody who's interested in dinosaurs should definitely read this.
on July 28, 2014
I was in love with this book from the very beginning, and I'm delving in for an immediate reread once I've passed my copy along and forced it onto all of my friends. It was funny and well-written, and the elements of humor and humanity weren't excessive - nor did they distract me or draw me out of the story. Raptor Red is definitely a new favorite, and I will now spend the rest of my life hunting for another dino-POV novel since I now have a hunger for more. I loved it so much I mailed it to a friend of mine that lives in another state just so she could read it!
Robert Bakker's "Raptor Red" is unlike most dinosaur fiction because it is told from the point of a Female Utahraptor, a concept unusual for books of this type. When I first heard of this, I thought the idea sounded strange and I didn't want to read a book filled with "Hungry, must kill something!" however I relented based on the great reviewer rating here, and the fact that Bakker was a consultant for the raptors in Jurassic Park, so he must know what he's talking about.

I was pleased that I did decide to read the book because while it was unsual, I did enjoy it. Bakker takes us through what he imagines the life of a raptor must have been like. We follow Raptor Red through her life, which is filled with much more than killing and eating. The life of Raptor Red, as viewed by Bakker, could almost be the life of any of us. She experiences pain and loss, family conflict, romance, and love.

As I said, I certainly found many of the concepts presented in this story interesting, however I have to wonder how Bakker came up with his research on Raptors. Not being a paleontologist, I don't know much about what is accepted scientific fact and what he just completely makes up or is based on conjecture. I find many of the events in the story inplausible, such as the part where Raptor Red and her family basicaly go sledding down a snow-covered hill. I almost expected them to break out into a snowball fight at any minute. To believe in Bakker's concepts definitely takes a strong consideration that either we know nothing about animal behavior, or that Raptors were quite possibly one of the smartest animals to ever live.

Overall, Bakker provides a very thought-provoking story that really changed my outlook on Dinosaurs from the view of ferocious cold-blooded predators that spent vtheir lives hunting and killing. He also fills in the story with excerpts that give the reader a look into several other animals of the era such as an Aegialodon and a Pterodactyl that likes playing jokes on the Raptors. Although many of these ideas sound ridiculous, they work in the story and it comes off as a serious look at what a raptor's life "could" have been like, rather than a Disney story filled with talking animals who cook and drive cars. I defintely recommend this book if you are interested in looking at a radically new view of dinosaur life.
on May 10, 2012
I found this book a long time ago at my local library and loved it as a kid. I was finally able to get my own copy and it's still as good a read as it was then.

Whether you're a hard-core dinosaur buff or a simple fan, this story will keep you turning the pages to the very end. With a rich blend of scientific facts, biological processes, and visual story-telling, Bakker tells the story through the eyes of a young female Utahraptor as she struggles to hunt and stay alive in the early Cretaceous. Over the course of her journey, Raptor Red encounters many different dinosaurs, some more dangerous than others in a few surprising ways.

It's a great read and the chapter images will help bring Red's world to life in your mind. The dinosaurs in this book are not simply characters. They feel, they breathe, they hunt. They live.