Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Raspberry Pi User Guide
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Ingrid Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon ElvisandNixon  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Shop Now

on December 26, 2013
I skimmed through the book in an evening. I have some familiarity with Linux, but not the Pi platform so I thought this would be a good intro. The book covers basics of the types of board(A/B), what is on the board, installing an OS, a little programing intro, some info on projects you can build, and additional parts/components you can buy. The book will give you enough detail to get started. It is not a step by step manual. It would make a good book for a younger reader who is just getting started with raspberry pi or someone a little older who is curious about the platform.
This guide is well written and contains very useful information for anyone new to the world of RPi. Further, the Raspberry Pi is simply the most awesome little device that I've found in a very long time. I read recently a description of the RPi that called it a "Computer Set", analogous to a "Chemistry Set": building blocks to allow anyone of any age to learn and build and discover... all in a tiny, inexpensive package.

I also purchased Raspberry Pi Hacks: Tips & Tools for Making Things with the Inexpensive Linux Computer which is an excellent resource beyond the basics.

My full Raspberry Pi setup includes:
RASPBERRY PI MODEL B 756-8308 Raspberry Pi B
Edimax EW-7811Un 150 Mbps Wireless 11n Nano Size USB Adapter with EZmax Setup Wizard
Multicomp Clear Raspberry Pi Enclosure (MC-RP001-CLR)
SanDisk Ultra 8 GB SDHC Class 10 Flash Memory Card 30MB/s SDSDU-008G-U46
AmazonBasics Wired Keyboard and Wired Mouse Bundle
AmazonBasics 7 Port USB 2.0 Hub with 5V/4A power adapter
SMAKN PL2303HX USB to TTL to UART RS232 COM Cable module Converter
USB to RS485 Converter Adapter ch340T chip Support 64-bit Win7
- GearMo® Mini USB to RS485 / RS422 Converter FTDI CHIP with Screw Terminals (I actually bought this RS484 adapter elsewhere, as it was rather expensive on amazon)

Be sure to check out some of the online resources such as adafruit (great project ideas), as well as The MagPi (a very good, online RPi Magazine - free!)

If you find yourself needing to login from your phone or kindle, be sure to check out the JuiceSSH app (you'll need to back load this onto the kindle after downloading from google play). Juice is a SSH telnet client. Very cool. Also - when you are ready to scale your linux project, be sure to check out the amazon aws! Create a virtual Linux machine from your browser on amazon servers!

Overall, the Raspberry Pi is an awesome device, and this keyboard was the perfect addition! I hope it will inspire the new generation to learn more about the inner workings of computers. There are very cool online resources, with project ideas such as the adafruit Raspberry Pi WiFi Radio. If interested in RPi, be sure to check out the eLinux (dot org) web site, as it has a ton of great information on compatibility.

I've been completely happy with my RPi & recommend it to anyone interested in learning more about computers!
on October 1, 2014
This is a must have book for quickly learning about the Raspberry Pi. It provides a thorough introduction complete with warnings to protect the hardware from misuse of settings and a series of small projects that lead up to use of the camera module. The book covered how to configure the features and software installation needed to complete almost any project. It will answer most of the user's questions and give you picture documentation.

As an experienced electrical engineer, I found this book to be just what I needed to rapidly prepare me to use the Raspberry Pi for an upcoming project using the camera. The book showed me a series of appropriate prototyping boards and some appropriate Python code to test the interfaces and electronics.

Although I am going to have to complete my project using a C++ program for much faster response than the Python, I now know what it will take to make a professional design possible and how to test the electronic interface to my project to make it reliable. I think that having this book is a requirement for successful design on the Raspberry Pi.
on January 16, 2014
Book holds essential information for first steps with Raspberry Pi. It's also a good reference for configuration and GPIO port.
on September 20, 2014
This book is superior to the "Dummies" book on the same subject. Seemed to better explain basic stuff glossed over. Not perfect of course. I'm still left wondering what to do with this little "miracle"
on August 7, 2014
Great startup guide. Whether you have experience with programing or not this is an excellent way to begin investigating the world of Raspberry Pi. I would encourage users to buy a unit and start here. They will be amazed how soon they can take off!
on March 20, 2014
This book may be considered the "base resource" for using the Raspberry PI with the standard Raspberian distribution. I use it as the first source for information, backed up by a web search if I need more details.

Well worth the money.
on June 1, 2014
I have been using computers since the days of the punch card and huge machines, but I had never used Linux. The Raspberry Pi presented an opportunity to learn. This book provided a clear path to finding my way on my tiny machine.
on November 4, 2014
I broke down and got a pi B+, but when I ordered this book I didn't relize there was a new version. I will have to struggle checking the differences between the 2 devices. It's not the books fault, but Amazon's search because it didn't initially give me both versions.
on March 20, 2014
I bought this one just for some basic working knowledge of the Raspberry Pi as I have never had one before now.
It was reasonably priced (Very Inexpensive) and I was more than reasonably surprised when I recieved it.
While it's not a 600 page "Bible" on the Raspberry Pi it has some very good tips and information.
I totally recommend it for a beginner as it is a very good starting point.