Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on April 6, 2016
This dolly is rather poorly packaged and relatively low quality. Repeatedly folding and unfolding it to travel with wears quickly on the locking pins and hinges making this best for a static set-up. If you have a lightweight tripod and camera that you need to move from spot to spot within a single space, it's great for that and adds some rigidity to your tripod legs. That being said, I found this dolly doesn't really suit my needs due to the low-quality build as I need something durable enough to travel.

In response to the reviews that complain about not being able to get smooth shots when filming, that is because as the name implies, this is a TRIPOD DOLLY and its purpose is to allow you to move your loaded tripod to a different positon. It's not intended to be used as a film dolly, nor should one expect a film dolly to be so simple and inexpensive.
3 helpful votes
4 helpful votes
11 comment|Report abuse
on November 16, 2014
UPDATE: Ravelli customer service was extremely kind enough to send me a new dolly after my mishap with the previous purchase (the lock on the legs) and have been very dedicated to making sure they provide the best product possible. This is a great starter product for those of you needing a dolly, but not the expenses to get a proper track system, this will do the job and do it pretty well. The shake mentioned previously seems to be reduced significantly with a more heavy duty tripod, so keep that in mind. There are plenty of uses for this. 4/5

ORIGINAL REVIEW:
As someone who consistently creates video content, I'm always looking to improve my production value. My next step was a dolly. However, I didn't have the money for a proper system, nor did I have the time to throw together a DYI build. So, I turned to Amazon and found this little deal. So, let's start by talking about the positives:

Pros:
-Compact, Easy to store
-Lightweight, has a convenient carrying handle
-Relatively easy to set-up
-Got several acceptable shots that were indeed very cool.
-I like the advantage of being able to do any movements I want.
If this were a typical track dolly system then I would be constricted to the path of the track. This allowed me to move around freely during our music video shoot and I could get several different movements without having to stop and reset. I was able to achieve decent arcs, dolly, and truck shots in a single take of the performance.

So, it does have some positives, however, the negatives are pretty problematic and will most likely keep me from getting another one.

Cons:
-The design is a tad confusing.
This is mostly due to my own ignorance, however, it was not specified on the instructions how this worked. I set-up the rig to test it out right when it arrived and the set-up was fine, it was taking it down when the problems arose. The legs lock into place, which is fine, however, the directions did not specify how they UN-locked. So, I tried to simply push them out of the locks, and wound up making one of the legs virtually unlockable. You have to pull up the locks and then they'll swing out. Again, my own ignorance is mostly at fault here.
-This will pick up any and every little bump on the ground.
We shot with it extensively on a stage for a music video. The stage had a few very small bumps in it (due to being painted many times over the years). The dolly picked up every single one of those bumps and made a couple of shots quite jittery. Now, most of the actual shake was successfully removed utilizing Warp Stabilizer in Adobe Premiere Pro. However, a few single frames were distorted and has slightly doubled due to the shakes and this I can not fix unless I remove these frames all together.
-The wheels don't turn well.
I mentioned in my pros that I liked the ability to move around and do multiple types of movements without having to reset. The exception to this is that the wheels are a bit stiff when it comes to turning. I could dolly backwards and it'd be fine, but if I wanted to go ahead and get a dolly forwards shot, the wheels either wouldn't turn around easily causing a brief very shaky moment before the next movement began and sometimes to movement would get ruined because one of the wheels still wouldn't turn. So, I resorted to manually changing the direction of the wheels every time I wanted to change the direction of the move. This may be fixable, but be aware of this problem. Ideally, the wheels would spin much easier.

Keep these things in mind before buying and using this extensively. If you're on an extremely tight budget, but need dolly shots for your project, this will help you as long as you test it and get used to it's feel extensively before going and doing the actual shots. If you wish to achieve completely smooth shots using this, you must roll it on an absolutely SMOOTH surface, it will register any bumps and potentially muck up your shots.

3/5
2 helpful votes
on November 5, 2017
Well constructed and sturdy. Rolls very smoothly. Looks nice. Using it on a heavy Manfrotto tripod in our commercial studio. The tripod will, most likely, never be taken off this unit. Bag is cheap and I wouldn't expect it to hold up to any sort of travel, but at this price point, nobody should be seriously expecting a decent carrying case. I was a little worried given some of the negative reviews but it appears that those are from that small percentage of buyers who just aren't going to be happy no matter what.
on May 1, 2017
I just ordered my second set of wheels.

This thing is a great product for the cost. It lasted me through dozens of weddings but this last weekend one of the bottom bolts felt out causing one of the arms to come off. But i was in the outdoors and the group of dirty/rocky/grassy. I also don't keep it in the bag. I kinda throw this thing around since I gotta carry 2 other tripods plus all my equipment to carry around.

But yes a screw fell off of it so if You get one tighten all the screws at the bottom or check them every other time.

Also one of the plastic knobs broke off. I had to replace it with a regular bolt. But again I use my equipment pretty heavily and have been using it for years over the course of dozens of events. I think i might be able to fix it.
0Comment|Report abuse
This makes moving shots with a tripod a breeze. One of my favorite parts of this (besides it's sturdiness and quality build) is the rubber, smooth wheels, which produces smooth shots even when rolling across not so perfect ground. I bought 2 of them, for both of my tripods. I use them constantly. This thing is the real deal. Made with all quality parts, and comes with a handy carrying case with a strap to carry it on your shoulder. It's pretty light, so it wouldn't be difficult at all to travel distances with it around your shoulder. Recommended!
on March 23, 2015
Under $40, nice case, free lens cleaner, free led clip on flashlight, smooth like butter, wheels lock & unlock perfectly. Wheels are high quality, roll super smooth and swivel effortlessly. Don't hesitate, great value and nice to have in your gear bag. I use it for all my indoor work. Looking to get a second one. Take a tip from Snooch, use a couple of sand bags or ankle weights to make this super smooth!
<<<<<<MY FREE LED FLASHLIGHT WAS ALMOST DEAD ON ARRIVAL, IT DOES LIGHT BUT VERY DIM.>>>>>>>
It's not a deal breaker and I didn't buy the dolly for the flashlight, but if they include it I think it should work.
on September 14, 2017
Sort of a cheap build; not professional grade at all. I wouldn't put more than 15-20lbs to avoid having problems with its locking and adjusting mechanisms. Wheels are not very smooth so don't expect smooth moving shots if you plan on doing video work with it. It is, however, convenient for doing still work that requires you to occasionally move your tripod about.
0Comment|Report abuse
CAUTION: ON THE ONE I RECEIVED I DID NOT KNOW THAT ONE LEG DOES NOT LOCK/SNAP IN. THE WHOLE DSLR RIG FALLS!!
Also: I don't understand why this Ravelli dolly does not adjust wide enough to fit their own tripods.
Bottom line: good enough for the price.
2 helpful votes
on August 31, 2017
These aren't really smooth enough to use for a moving camera shot. Perhaps one could replace the wheels with better ones and get better results? I don't know.

They're intended for use as a way to quickly move a camera or light between shots. For that, it's great. I bought this with the matching tripod, ended up returning the tripod, but kept this for other stands.
on October 18, 2016
I'm glad I purchased this. I have used it to get some amazing video during weddings, especially during the dances at the reception. The wheels can be stubborn, so I learned if I am going to roll it, I need to first pull/push it in the direction I want to go, then the wheels are turned in the correct direction. I then lift it up off the ground, set it back to my starting point, and then start filming as I roll it. This has proven to give me the smoothest shots without the wheels getting tangled up. The wheels are hard and therefore sensitive to bumpy ground. I can have a perfectly smooth shot ruined by a divot in the floor or a pebble. That probably is a problem for other roller dollies. My camera has stabilization features, and you can also add stabilization in post-production. Although I feel the bumps, I don't always see them on the finished product. Regardless, I'd buy this one again and am very satisfied with it.