Industrial Deals HPC Magazine Deals Casual Friday Style nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Stream your favorites. Amazon music Unlimited. Learn more. All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Prime exclusive: $24.99 for a limited time Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon marchmadness marchmadness marchmadness  Echo Dot Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop now TG18PP_gno

on April 13, 2011
Having read previous reviews, I knew what I was buying. This product does not replace a true dolly unless your shot is on a gymnasium floor. That had been iterated more than once in the reviews. My comments will concentrate on the product, not its applications.

DISCLAIMER: The following comments take into account the price of the item (~40 USD.) This is not a high-dollar item.

The tripod-"foot" locking hardware is plastic with threaded metal inserts. While not a machined piece of engineered aluminum, they work well and seem moderately durable. When locked onto my Manfrotto 3401, the dolly became one with my sticks and remained as stable as legs alone.

The wheel locks function at the touch of a toe and unlock just as easily. Very snug when engaged.

The base is metal yet lightweight. I wouldn't stand on it, but it seems durable. There is no slop when locked in the "open" position. Again, very snug/stable. The pins that lock the two moveable base "legs" snap into place and are pulled to release. The spread is adjustable. For my particular set of sticks, it doesn't quite extend to allow full separation of my tripod legs, but this does not affect the stability.

The dolly folds nicely and carries well with the integrated handle. The bag is what you would expect: minimal, but clean and well-fitting.

OVERALL: I recommend buying this dolly immediately after you get a good tripod. (Repeat: GOOD TRIPOD) A good tripod is a necessity. A good means to move that tripod efficiently and safely comes next in my opinion. This item certainly fits the bill.

BONUS!!! I also got (unanticipated) a free mini-tripod in the box. It has little telescoping legs, 1/4" thread, and supports my mini cams. Totally cool. Almost surpasses my affection for the new dolly.

I just finished a shoot this evening with the dolly. This was my first "gig" with it. Here's the scoop.

GYM FLOOR! Yes, bumps and shakes are evident on all but the SMOOTHEST of surfaces. I had a flat marble lobby with VERY tiny joints (the cracks between the pieces)to use for some venue shots, and it was pretty good. If you weren't aware that I had some roughness in the shot, you might not notice... but, now that you know, you would see the very slight bumps in the footage. So, unless you are running on a gym floor for dolly shots, there will be slight bumps (almost unnoticeable.)

HOWEVER, the dance floor shots with the dolly were magnificent. I'll try to post a link to a clip or two. But for now, take my word for it: this dolly will get you some VERY professional shots under the right conditions.

Lastly, simply for moving the cam from shot to shot, this was a time saver and total breeze. The carpet I was on was a tightly knit, Persian-style surface. The dolly moved freely and without much overall rattle. Still, not for filming, but great for getting around.

I recommend that you buy this. Period. (And I do not work for or have any affiliation with the maker.)

FINAL EDIT (this is getting long-winded....)
Here is a link to some test shots from the aforementioned shoot:
youtube(watch?v=fDIxOr2HSW8) Dolly begins at 0:11 and continues for about 20 seconds.

In the first scene, I was on the marble floor. Next you will see dance floor dolly shots.
88 comments| 122 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on January 13, 2015
 In this review I will be referring to the Ravelli AVT Professional 67-inch Video Camera Tripod along with the Ravelli ATD Professional Tripod Dolly.

Let me first start off by saying holy s*** the tripod and dolly combo is amazing! I saw a bunch of good reviews on this piece of equipment but I also spotted some really bad ones saying that it didn't come with the right stuff and was a piece of crap. I don't know what they were talking about because it came with everything that was advertised and even some extra microfiber cloths. Like a bunch of them. There isn't much more to say about this setup other than it is a wonderful hidden gem for budget film makers. You can get some crazy-professional looking shots with these. The tripod itself has a very respectable weight and sense of sturdiness to it. The head is smooth and the legs are easy to manipulate. Both products fold up nicely and take up little space when collapsed. I have attached a video of some test shots I put together after just minutes of opening them. Enjoy! ...and buy this s*** right now.
33 comments| 44 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Top Contributor: Campingon November 11, 2013
This sets up rapidly, breaks down quickly, folds up small, supports my heavy 3221 Manfrotto tripod, rolls smoothly and the casters lock securely. I have used it twice. During the second use, on several occasions, the locking mechanism that prevents the dolly from folding disengaged on one arm. As a result one of my tripod legs swung back and the tripod collapsed. This caused my camera at the end of a 4' jib crane drop about 10'. The pan tilt head protected the camera and the lens was fortunately undamaged. Initially, I thought I hadn't locked the arm correctly, but the third time I knew the thing was locked and the lock failed. There is a plastic tip at the end of the locking pin mechanism that is prone to shear if you bump something while rolling and the slop in the hinge allows the leg to become free of the locking pin. if you intend to use this product to support anything of value, unbolt the hinging arms at each hinge and insert a fender washer (large diameter washer)between the arm and frame and replace the bolt for both arms. This removes the slop in the arms, allows the arms to articulate smoothly, and even with the plastic tips of the locking pins gone, allows them to lock the arms into position with the metal portion. even with the plastic tips intact, the washers do not interfere with the locking pins. This modification is simple, requiring a 3mm allen wrench and 30 cents worth of hardware from the hardware store. I also recommend adding blue breakable thread lock to the screw threads when reinstalling them.
44 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 12, 2015
A pretty sturdy tripod from Ravelli. I actually stood on this and I weigh 120 pounds and there was no bend in it. I actually felt like it would hold a lot more weight than that.

Wheels are nice and large with individual brakes on each wheel. Wheels move well across both high carpet, wood, ceramic flooring. I would replace the wheels if you want to use this as a track dolly outside. Looks as if this would be easy to do and one reason I got this dolly.

The brakes are strong. Once locked down, this thing isn't going anywhere.
Folds together nicely for portability just as shown in the image and pretty easy to break down and comes with a strong bag with handle for storage and carrying around.

Very strong and professional looking.

Securing my tripod in the clamps took a bit of adjustment but I believe this is more due to my super old tripod than the dolly. I wasn't able to open the legs of my tripod all the way when secured in this so keep that in mind- you may lose some spread and height on the legs but not much. By having it on the track, the height of the track actually makes up for it. **see image. Hope this helps!
review image
I feel like people who wrote negative reviews of this product either didn’t take the time to get used to it, or had unrealistic expectations. It does it’s job, but you have to get used to it. You also have to be on a smooth surface. If you’re dragging anything with wheels across say a wooden floor with gaps between the slats, you’re gonna get some bumps, same with a gravel driveway or anything of the like. It’s not a miracle device. However on firm carpet or any smooth hard floor, it really does help you get smooth cinematic shots. But to do so you have to do a couple of things: first, weight helps. I noticed it was harder to maneuver when I just had my DSLR on the tripod. When I had my DSLR in a heavy duty camera cage with matte box on it, which added some nice weight, it felt a lot smoother.

-comes with a carrying handle and carrying case, so it’s very portable.
-feels heavy duty and not like it’s going to break before I’m done using it.
-fully adjustable to fit any tripod any size.
-castor wheels seem well made and allow to move in any direction.

The wheels are a hard rubber-plastic, so though roll perfectly smoothly, they do not absorb much shock and require a smooth surface.

If you want a solution for your shaky handheld footage, and/or want to do more than static tripod shots with a bit of pan and tilt, this is a great inexpensive solution. It can sometimes be difficult to continue in a single direction for several feet without one of the wheels having a mind of its own, but I’ve been amazed with some of the shots I’ve gotten with this while filming a music video, and now I fully endorse it.
on April 25, 2015
Great tripod.....only think......the wheels could be softer.
On tile,recording every little bump sound.
review imagereview image
11 comment| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on November 15, 2016
After posting my scathing review, Ravelli contacted me and had GREAT customer service. They explained how this product is really meant for transport, not dolly movements. I guess I was using it wrong lol either way, they completely refunded me from a 3yr old order, including shipping fee, and let me keep the product! They were extremely nice and helpful, and the dolly works nicely for transport work. It also comes with a carrying case.. I think I'll hang onto it and give Ravelli a 2nd shot. They've earned it.

I don't know how this thing gets so many good reviews. I bought it years ago and I've never been able to use it. The steering is all over the place and it's super jerky, clunky and kind of heavy. God help you if you want to use this on anything but smooth glass.. get carpet, grass, tiles, or hardwood floors out of your head..Just pony up the dough and get a stabilizer or just use a tripod with video head.
Good product for the price. Easy to assemble and use. The wheels come attached to the legs. The legs just have to be snapped into the middle connector assembly.

Great customer service! I got a copy of the dolly that had a defect: the hole for one of the locking pins wasn't drilled far enough so the pin would snap in place. Thus, you could easily pull out one of the legs without depressing the locking pin. I submitted feedback to the seller that I was intending to exchange it, since I thought it was a good product and just received a bad copy. Ravelli promptly issued me a refund.

The only negative design issue in my opinion is the locking pins that keep the legs locked in the spread position when rotated from the initial storage position. You can see in the photos that underneath the knob that you pull out to unlock the positioning of the legs, there is only a small white piece of rounded plastic that serves as the locking pin. One of those has already snapped off within a month of use.

Also, the bag it comes with is small. You have to pack the disassembled pieces just right to fit back in the bag. (It ships with everything inside the bag, so pay attention to how they placed it in there so you can repack it the same way!)
review imagereview imagereview imagereview imagereview image
on April 6, 2016
This dolly is rather poorly packaged and relatively low quality. Repeatedly folding and unfolding it to travel with wears quickly on the locking pins and hinges making this best for a static set-up. If you have a lightweight tripod and camera that you need to move from spot to spot within a single space, it's great for that and adds some rigidity to your tripod legs. That being said, I found this dolly doesn't really suit my needs due to the low-quality build as I need something durable enough to travel.

In response to the reviews that complain about not being able to get smooth shots when filming, that is because as the name implies, this is a TRIPOD DOLLY and its purpose is to allow you to move your loaded tripod to a different positon. It's not intended to be used as a film dolly, nor should one expect a film dolly to be so simple and inexpensive.
22 comments| 4 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on August 5, 2017
This Tripod Dolly was a life saver today. The charity I volunteer at held a volunteer at asked for me to shoot some video today. This dolly made it very easy to move my Manfrotto tripod with a Neewer Film Movie System Kit Video Making System for Canon/Nikon/Sony and other DSLR Cameras, includes:(1)C-shaped Bracket+(1)Handle Grip+(2)15mm Rod+(1)Matte Box+(1)Follow Focus+(1)Shoulder Rig mounted on it. I left the back half of the Neewer rig attached and had my PANASONIC LUMIX G7 4K Mirrorless Camera, with 14-42mm MEGA O.I.S. Lens, 16 Megapixels, 3 Inch Touch LCD, DMC-G7KS (USA SILVER) mounted on it. I was able to easily and quickly move the entire setup to another location. This made it a lot easier to do some walking shots that I wouldnt have been able to otherwise.