Top critical review
71 people found this helpful
Ravelli Professional Carbon Fiber 3 Axis Ball Head Camera Video Photo Tripod with Quick Release Plate and Carry Bag (Electronics
on July 13, 2011
Well, I have bought this tripod after the first buyer gave the tripod 4 stars. I was not buying one, but two, one for me and one for my brother. I have bought Ravelli APGL4 New Professional Tripod before, still using it, lost one of its plastic cover down in the leg (it's impossible to find spare parts!) I thought I have a deal of the century when a carbon fiber tripod is so cheap, but turned out I was wrong, WYPIWYG !
Everyone write about the good, the cheap; but I will write about the bad, and the ugly parts. I still give the seller the best rating with all possible star that I can give, since I receive the tripod very fast in the next day!
Here we come, the bad and the ugly:
1. The ball head is small, and the part attached to the head is loosed, you can move it from left to right about 0.1 - 0.3mm, for me, someone in the QC department needs to be fired; maybe the company has no QA department, just build, and sales. I don't use anything to tighten them; I just keep in my mind that was the first "strange" impression.
2. The plate is small with small metal twist which make you feel cheap, your camera will not falling down since it has a safety knob which will help to keep the camera on; but, you will have to take it out to tighten the plate every now and then, because it's loosing after a while under normal use. For me, this is bad, because we use tripod to keep the camera stable, to get the sharpest picture, but this tripod will not help much. I use the pistol head from Ravelli APGL4 (it fits perfectly) so the head is not bother me at all, however, my brother's hand got burn because he has to twist the plate so hard, so many time, to keep the camera stable (poor him). We use D40 and D90 for the photography class, just the basic ones, but the ball head is failed to keep the cameras stable for a period of times.
3. The tripod can hold my camera (D90 + 70-300mm) without falling, it's good but not stable enough, it got vibration (a little, but for taking picture, a little is a lot!) I don't use the bubble level, but it's not very well build and thought. The company can buy an expensive tripod, take it out a part, then learn to make something better, cheaper, that's a good way to go.
4. After we went to Victoria beach to take picture of the tower (we were standing still at 1 place, since that was a small spot, cannot moving much!), one of the tripod was bad, one of the legs could not expand any more, I think it got sand in somewhere between the plastic knob and the legs; one of the knob to tighten the plate on the ball head was failing too.
5. I have tried all the reason to keep the tripods, I don't want to buy something, try it, then return, because it waste my time, it's also make the seller feels bad somehow; but I could not find a reason, to be honest. Now I have to use the Ravelli APGL4 again, it's heavy when I go on to a field trip, but it will not fail on me.
Suggestion for buyer:
1. This is one of the cheapest carbon fiber tripods, if your main point is for travel, and save a little money, then this tripod is for you. Don't ever bring it to the beach (put the tripod down to sand), because it may fail on you if the sand somehow goes into the knob.
2. If you are looking for a tripod which can withstand a "heavy" use in any place and situation (beach, snow, portrait, etc..), or you want to take the perfect pictures without blurring them because of vibration from the head, from the legs; then you may have to look somewhere else (I currently do!).
Suggestion for the manufacture:
1. Instead of giving out the free aluminum tripod (it's a joke, and it costs you a lot of money), build a better ball head and throw in an extra plate. Redesign the metal twist under the plate so it's will attached to the bottom of the camera longer, harder (or until the user is twisting to release it). You have the engineers, they will know much more than me how to change it.
2. Build the spike for the legs, so user can twist out the plastic, and put in the spikes. I know you need to keep the price low, but build something that may last for a longtime, better build, for your company reputation. In the long run, you will get back all the little effort that you put in it.
3. Make replacement parts! You may sale cheap tripod, but you will get more profit when providing parts for the users.
Thank you for reading, and hope you have found something you need to know about this particular tripod. It may good for you, but not really for me.