Industrial Deals Salon Beauty Best Books of the Year Black Friday Deals Week nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Listen for a chance to win Electronics Gift Guide Starting at $39.99 Try it first with samples Handmade Gift Shop Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon soul2soul soul2soul soul2soul  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 22, 2014
Took me 15 days to complete this puzzle -- worked on it off and on, mostly alone, like 3 hours a day -- more on the weekends. It was not as challenging as I had hoped but the quality was exceptional. So I will have to get an 18000 piece Ravensburger or something.

I could not find a table large enough and had to work on it in parts -- first splitting the edges/frame vertically then once pieces started to collide, I split into quarters/corners. Removed large contiguous finished sections as I went in order to get more space. There are some very difficult sections: the whales (all black/grey), the turtle (really confusing and many textures), and the large section of blue water in the middle. In the end I was missing a single piece which I eventually found by looking under all my furniture.

Pro tips for myself next time to save time:
- carefully sort out the edge and corner pieces in one pass, instead of 2
- initially bin the pieces out further, at least 10 bins based on possible sections of the image (I ended up doing a lot of sub-binning, which adds time)
- If you are having trouble with the edge/frame, carefully go back through and check for incorrect pieces. I had this issue pop up a few times due to how close some of the colors/shapes are.

CONS:
- several pieces came stuck together already, they should scramble it up better
- the back of the pieces are blue, which is not very convenient with all the blue in the image, but I guess you'd run into same problem no matter what the color... actually bright PINK would work
- it should come with a sheet showing the image, the one on the box is not large enough and parts of their logo obstructs the view (although there are tiny images on the side to compensate)
- from the way it was made, every piece has a twin which is identically-cut twin but fortunately the colors are very different... perhaps this is unavoidable as there's a finite of distinguishable piece shapes possible
- I half-expected that it would come with a fold out board to work on which would extend normal table size, but it didn't
- they could have done an even better job removing the particles of cardboard from the manufacturing process (still, it is way better than other brands I've tried)

PROS:
- image is beautiful
- parts of the image are very challenging, without being frustrating
- great experience overall

Now I have to figure out to hang this up... plan is to laminate the back of it, and use heavy-duty 3M velcro hangers -- if that doesn't hold then resort to puzzle glue.
on September 18, 2014
Before buying this puzzle, I read all the reviews. Some reported missing and a few damaged pieces, so I was a little concerned, having not purchased a Ravensburger puzzle before. While I don't doubt that some experienced these problems, my product arrived in perfect condition. And I cannot emphasize enough the high quality of this puzzle. The pieces are sturdy, compact, and hard to bend. There were ZERO warped, "unseparated", or worse--uncut--pieces. Even those pieces with the tiny, thin extensions that are easily broken or torn were pristine. There was also very little dust in the bag, especially considering the number of cuts in a 3000-piece jigsaw. Bottom line: If you are a puzzle enthusiast, you WILL enjoy this puzzle for its challenge, quality, and beauty. If you'd rather fit pieces rapidly while solving an easy puzzle or if you hope young children (and most teenagers) will embrace the slow progress, you will probably be frustrated.
Of note, there was one curious issue when my wife and I assembled the edge pieces. There was a piece that SEEMED to fit in one place, but actually fit on the other side of the puzzle. It was a white coral piece, and it fit perfectly in two places, the color and shape were absolute matches. It took us about a half hour to locate and correct the mistake, and of course until we did the edging made no sense. Instead of being upset by this, we actually enjoyed the challenge. I suspect that some reviewers who mentioned "large sections of the edging were missing" had this same issue but may not have realized it right away. Be aware that pieces that seem to fit may not.
Experienced puzzlers will understand my point about edging. Because the number of pieces that fit to an edge piece is 3, except for the corners (unlike most interior pieces, which fit to 4), the chance of wrongly fitting an edge piece to another edge piece is greater than for an interior piece. I suspect this happens more often with Ravensburger puzzles since the shape of each piece is "unique". Much more information about their production process is on their website, which you should also check out if you're considering this purchase.
11 comment|Report abuse
on June 2, 2012
Another enjoyable Ravensburger puzzle. Took MUCH longer than one of their 1k pc puzzles (longer than three of their 1k pc puzzles). I would rate the pieces interlocking as "very good" whereas on their 1k piece puzzles I would rate interlock at "excellent". As others have mentioned this puzzle takes up a lot of space. And the loose pieces take up LOTS and LOTS of space. We ended up putting pieces in cardboard box lids on a rolling cart as well as having them scattered on the table. Colors from the picture on the box to the actual puzzle varied considerably in some cases. Also, because it isn't a photo, the exact same color would crop up in different places. In a high res photo, you never have exactly the same color. Also, some of the fish looked like the same fish copy-pasted and resized and scattered all over. The scale of various fish/critters is a little wonky too. But overall it was a solid 3.75-4 star puzzle. Expect to spend many enjoyable hours with it.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on January 4, 2016
This puzzle is great. Note (It is huge) This 3000 piece puzzle is a giant 32"x48" and it was clearly noted in the description. I had to run out and purchase a piece of plywood for it so that we could move the puzzle around and not lose the dining room table for 2 weeks. The picture is great and the pieces are a good quality. I would recommend this brand to anyone that likes puzzles. I intend on looking into other puzzles from this company. Again for the puzzle person I highly recommend this puzzle.
on February 15, 2012
I did this puzzle last summer. Shipping was amazingly fast (one day!) and the puzzle took me about 2 weeks to complete. However, I was disappointed to find that I was missing 4 pieces and had duplicates of 4 other pieces! When I contacted Ravensburger, they sent me a new puzzle right away. This was fine with me...but I would have been upset if I was planning to glue and display the puzzle. (From what I understand, they make puzzles in uniquely cut, small batches, so I would be unable to retrieve my missing pieces from the new puzzle they sent me).

I will be purchasing from Ravensburger again, because the quality was just so great. The pieces lock together with a satisfying snap and there are only a few "oddball" shaped ones.
4 helpful votes
5 helpful votes
on April 24, 2013
Just finished this great looking puzzle. Took about 3 weeks, about 4 hours a day. Compared to other puzzles, I say it was pretty easy except for the porpoises . There are a lot of different colors and patterns which make it easy and not boring. When one section got hard, I just moved to a different part of the puzzle.

I calculated there are actually about 3168 pcs. The quality is great with each piece's picture firmly glued to the base. There were no missing pieces although at times I placed a piece in the wrong spot and it looked right until I placed the adjoining pieces. Then is was obvious it was wrong. Some people who think they have pieces missing may have just put a piece in the wrong spot.

Only 2 negatives about the puzzle. One, the darker colors are slightly off. The dark grays in the photo on the box look more brownish in real life. Second, there is no fold out large photo to help you. All you have to go by is the photo on the box cover which with a puzzle this size is like 1/3 actual size and therefore hard to see detail.

This puzzle is 48"x32" and easily fit on my kitchen table and was a lot of fun to do.
11 comment|Report abuse
on March 19, 2017
This was a fun puzzle to put together, but it was super challenging. I would say it is one of he most difficult puzzles I have put together, but the most BEAUTIFUL so it was well worth it! It captivates you,sucks you into the ocean world, frustrates you at times, but keeps you coming back to finish it. This puzzle is definitely worthy of gluing and framing in any household. I haven't done it yet with mine, but will do so because I can't bring myself to taking it apart.
The only complaint I have regarding this puzzle would be even though the puzzle has interlocking pieces it is flimsy and falls apart easily.
on April 14, 2012
After attempting to build the border on this puzzle, we noticed two sections of the border were missing (app. 10-15 pieces total in two sections). We looked and looked and sorted through multiple times and there was no mistaking that these pieces were missing. Checked reviews and saw that this is not an uncommon problem with Ravensburger. Bummer. We had already spent hours on the puzzle and had sorted everything out. Emailed Ravensburger and was told to cut out the UPC, mail it to them (snail mail) and "if" it was a manufacturing error they would send a replacement IF the puzzle was still available, in about 4-6 weeks.

I wrote back that, if they were able to determine that it was a manufacturing error from the UPC, couldn't I just email it in to expedite the process? I received a curt reply to mail it.

This company has clearly had to deal with missing pieces before - a problem that is probably the ONLY problem that can occur with a jigsaw puzzle and the ONLY problem that kills the entire experience and has the potential to create ill will. Yet they obviously have not seen fit to alter their business model in a way that will mitigate the problem.

I don't get it.
27 helpful votes
28 helpful votes
55 comments|Report abuse
on April 19, 2017
Absolutely beautiful puzzle. Incredibly stunning and gorgeous colors. Ravensburger is my absolute favorite puzzle brand and has top-quality puzzles at an amazing price. This one being 3000 puzzles was super difficult, but ultimately worth it. I love it.
on August 26, 2015
I spent an immense amount of time on this puzzle only to find that many pieces are missing. Also, I've found some areas that are shifted incorrectly and thus impossible to connect. I'm very disappointed that I wasted my time. Hopefully Ravensubrger will give me a refund or replacement, although I have no intention of re-starting this puzzle, or any other Ravensuburger puzzle.
0Comment|Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.