Top positive review
Exceptional Quality, Took 15 Days
on December 22, 2014
Took me 15 days to complete this puzzle -- worked on it off and on, mostly alone, like 3 hours a day -- more on the weekends. It was not as challenging as I had hoped but the quality was exceptional. So I will have to get an 18000 piece Ravensburger or something.
I could not find a table large enough and had to work on it in parts -- first splitting the edges/frame vertically then once pieces started to collide, I split into quarters/corners. Removed large contiguous finished sections as I went in order to get more space. There are some very difficult sections: the whales (all black/grey), the turtle (really confusing and many textures), and the large section of blue water in the middle. In the end I was missing a single piece which I eventually found by looking under all my furniture.
Pro tips for myself next time to save time:
- carefully sort out the edge and corner pieces in one pass, instead of 2
- initially bin the pieces out further, at least 10 bins based on possible sections of the image (I ended up doing a lot of sub-binning, which adds time)
- If you are having trouble with the edge/frame, carefully go back through and check for incorrect pieces. I had this issue pop up a few times due to how close some of the colors/shapes are.
- several pieces came stuck together already, they should scramble it up better
- the back of the pieces are blue, which is not very convenient with all the blue in the image, but I guess you'd run into same problem no matter what the color... actually bright PINK would work
- it should come with a sheet showing the image, the one on the box is not large enough and parts of their logo obstructs the view (although there are tiny images on the side to compensate)
- from the way it was made, every piece has a twin which is identically-cut twin but fortunately the colors are very different... perhaps this is unavoidable as there's a finite of distinguishable piece shapes possible
- I half-expected that it would come with a fold out board to work on which would extend normal table size, but it didn't
- they could have done an even better job removing the particles of cardboard from the manufacturing process (still, it is way better than other brands I've tried)
- image is beautiful
- parts of the image are very challenging, without being frustrating
- great experience overall
Now I have to figure out to hang this up... plan is to laminate the back of it, and use heavy-duty 3M velcro hangers -- if that doesn't hold then resort to puzzle glue.