Salon Beauty Best Books of the Month Women's Block Sandals nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Unlimited Music. Always ad-free. Learn more. Electronics Gift Guide Introducing Fire TV Cube Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon theaffairS4 theaffairS4 theaffairS4  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now SWMTVT18_gno

Raw Meaty Bones Promote Health
Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 35 reviews(5 star). See all 57 reviews
on February 1, 2016
Great book written from the perspective of a veterinarian who believes in raw feeding. Really helped me to understand the link between periodontal disease in dogs and chronic illness all of which are likely caused by feeding our dogs commercially made dry dog food.
I wish I had read this book when I had my beloved German Shepherd Max as he suffered from chronic skin disease which I now believe could have been improved if I had known about feeding raw food. I am waiting for our new dog who is a Golden Retriever who is now 3 weeks old. I will definitely be feeding our new dog raw. Thanks for all of the information.
3 people found this helpful
on February 14, 2010
I fed my dog an expensive, "high quality" kibble for the first seven and a half years of his life. In return I got a dog with mulitple medical problems that overwhelmed his cheerful, happy, outgoing disposition and made him both miserable and miserable to be with. It also made my vet a lot of money.
Happily I read this book and my eyes were open to the cause of my dog's suffering. Mr. Lonsdale explains in detail in a manner that is easy to understand just how manufactured pet food harms the health of our companion animals. He then goes on to describe the ideal diet for our domesticated predators and offers tips for feeding the Raw Meaty Bone diet successfully.
I confess that I merely skimmed the parts of the book that dealt with his noble efforts to convince the veterinary profession to promote the Raw Meaty Bone diet to their clients. Although I feel that this was an important issue to discuss it is, perhaps, something that should be addressed in another forum.
After emergency surgery to treat an abscessed tooth and a doggy prophy (teeth cleaning) I put my dog on the Raw Meaty Bone diet. It has only been a few weeks but he is already starting to heal from the conditions that made his life on kibble so painful.
I would urge all of those who live with carnivores to read this book. Your pets will thank you for it.
18 people found this helpful
on September 10, 2009
Feeding pets raw meaty bones keeps their teeth clean, gums healthy, and prevents the common chronic illnesses pets suffer today, such as cancers, heart, kidney, and auto-immune diseases. By feeding the diet dogs and cats evolved to eat, pets do not develop infected mouths that send infection into major organs systems.

If you choose to keep carnivorous pets, Tom Lonsdale's books (see also Work Wonders)explain why you must give your friendly wolves and wild cats a diet that predators need to keep their mouths and bodies healthy. If you feed commercial kibbles and canned mush, pets' teeth are coated with gummy sludge that infects thier gums and creats chronic disorders.

This book is worth several reads. It's impossible to learn all the reasoning and information on one reading, in part because so much of it counters what we have been taught about pet feeding. As a breeder of Labrador retrievers, I can attest to the enormous health benefits of switching from commercial junk foods to BARF diets and finally to the right diet for dogs -- raw-meaty-bones. Not only do all those itchy skin and hot spots go away, the dogs have clean teeth and healthy gums without professional dental cleanings that often resulted in the loss of rotting teeth. The dogs have great vigor and overall health. They are happy to eat what Nature intended.

To get a preview of the book and feeding raw-meaty-bones, look at Dr. Lonsdale's web site, [...]
8 people found this helpful
on March 31, 2014
This is a history of how vets started rebelling against kibble. That is the bulk of the book. If you are looking for recipes you won't find them here. If you are looking for information to find what you should feed your carnivorous pets buy this for the appendix alone, it is worth it. A book that is about recipes and provides much more information (while the author disagrees with some small points), check out Raw and Natural Nutrition for Dogs by Lew Olson PhD. This book really is worth the time if you have pets.
6 people found this helpful
on March 29, 2008
Vets are good for medical stuff. I use them for drawing blood, running blood tests and prescribing medication when needed. Other than that, I would disregard anything a regular vet has to say about both animal nutrition and animal psychology*. Vets are brainwashed by these food companies when they are in vet school to push their unhealthy (but profitable) foods. There is a reason this author had to fight so hard to get his ideas out there.
Dogs survived thousands of years without bagged kibble, doing guess what? Eating Raw Meaty Bones. This book is such an eye-opener to something that should really be just simple common sense. Dogs are meant to eat MEAT, not corn meal, wheat or high-fructose corn syrup. Cats need meat even more so.
The DAY we changed our dogs over to eating Raw Meaty Bones, we noticed an astonishing difference. They are healthier and happier because they are doing what dogs should do!
READ this book, take the little bit of extra time to FOLLOW it and you will be rewarded 1000x over by your animals.
*My husband has been involved in animal training for years and follows something close to Cesar Millan's approach. So as far as dog psychology goes, if you can't hire my husband, read Cesar's book and watch the Dog Whisperer!!
11 people found this helpful
on October 9, 2015
A classic read for all dog owners who are considering switching their dogs to a raw diet. Although, I do believe in the everything the author states, I respect his passionate views. Especially, his opposition to commercial dog food that is killing our beloved pets.

I now feed my two Frenchies raw meaty bones every other day. They love it, and I see real benefits in their health. If you are a bit hesitate about feeding your dogs raw, then this book should persuade you otherwise.

Essential reading for dog owners who realize the food is more important than drugs.
on December 31, 2012
Lonsdale presents a logical, well documented case for using raw, meaty bones as your dog's daily food source. It is written in clear, concise language that is easy to process and is organized in a reader-friendly manner. I have applied Lonsdale's methods to the care of my own dogs with phenomenal results and strong urge all canine lovers to give his suggestions very careful consideration. Well-worth the price to achieve better health for your animal companion!
2 people found this helpful
on November 30, 2007
For those who have more time to read about raw feeding, this is your book. Dr. Lonsdale's book "Work Wonders" (in my previous review) is great for shorter reading. Since I have owned dogs all my life, I have also lost many to cancer and other related illnesses. With my new dog, I am trying raw feeding and reading all that I can about it. It's different and takes time getting the right diet and what agrees with her. I believe in being open minded, and this book really opens the mind.
4 people found this helpful
on March 23, 2012
If you're searching for the right food for your dogs & cats you definitely should read this book! Tom Lonsdale is a brilliant Veterinarian and should be commended for this book.

Feed your dogs & cats mostly meat, some bones, some organs and they'll be healthier than you could ever imagine!
3 people found this helpful
on November 16, 2017
Great resource for switching to raw.