Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rayovac Platinum AA/AAA/C/D/9V Universal Battery Charger
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Celine Dion Water Sports STEM

on April 12, 2011
I was looking at chargers and rechargable batteries over X-mas and passed as I was not sure of battery life. I was given this Rayovac charger and batteries as a gift...I am hooked. The run time on the rechargable "AA" actually exceeded the private label Alkaline batteries I bought at a wholesale club. I thought the charger was very well designed as there is a spring loaded bar that accepts all battery sizes in the same compartment (9V plugs in differently). The unit is compact and you can charge 4 batteries at a time and you are assured of a full charge in 8 hours. It is also very compact which makes it perfect for travel. I do not know if the run time decreases based on the number of recharge cycles the batteries have been through. Regardless, I am in the process of switching to all rechargeable batteries. I am very impressed with this unit.
This charger offered here (Rayovac Platinum AA/AAA/C/D/9V Universal Battery Charger) is the PS20PL. It is inferior to the original Rayovac PS3 Universal Smart Battery Charger in many ways:

- The PS20PL is a timer-based dumb charger. It blindly charges all batteries for 8.5 hours and shuts off, regardless of their capacity or status. It is up to you to remove your batteries after certain number of hours to avoid over-charging. The PS3 is a smart charger that monitors each cell during charging, and stops automatically when each cell is full.

- The PS20PL forces you to charge in pairs (either 2 or 4 cells). The old PS3 charges batteries individually, which is the only way to ensure each battery is charged to its correct capacity.

- The PS20PL can only handle NiMH and NiCd batteries. The old PS3 can handle NiMH, NiCd, and rechargeable alkaline manganese (RAM) batteries.

On the other hand, both PL20PL and PS3 suffer from the following deficiencies:

- The maximum battery capacity is limited to 3000mAh. That means they cannot fully recharge higher capacity C and D cells, such as the Tenergy Centura C Size Low Self-Discharge Rechargeable Batteries (4000mAh).

- The AC transformer inside is bulky, heavy, and limited to 110V supply only.

Instead of this PS20PL, you should get a smarter universal charger that can handle larger capacity batteries. For example, consider the Tenergy Advanced Universal Charger TN190. The TN190 added a REFRESH function and a LCD battery status display. It is able to work from 100-240V AC, and can handle higher-capacity batteries up to 10,000mAh.
on January 14, 2012
In the family of the basic chargers and with such a price, this is the best deal i could find.
Pros : - charges 5 different sizes
- price
- compact
- efficient, easy to use
- automatic switch off after 8h
- Can be used abroad (240v)

Cons : - No indication of the charging state or battery condition.
- Doesn't switch off when charging is complete (only after 8h)
- Can only charge by pairs (except for 9v)
on August 6, 2012
This charger will not fully charge my Tenergy rechargeable C or D batteries. It will only charge up to 3,000 mAh in 8 hours, which is about a third of their capacity; then it switches off automatically. I have contacted Rayovac to see if I can get a refund and plan to order the Tenergy Advanced Universal Charger instead.
on March 1, 2011
this is the successor to the ps3 model by rayovac that everyone loves,(theres like 120 reviews averaging 4.5 stars) and it is far cheaper. at 1/3rd the cost you'll get way more than you expect. the only thing that i don't like is that you can only charge in pairs except for the 9 volt which will charge one at a time. this really does't bother me because i have a previous charger for just AA's and AAA's that charges individual AAs or AAAs. i bought this just for the Cs Ds and 9Volts. oh by the way this is spring loaded too and has individual sizing bays for the different batteries.
on November 24, 2012
I ordered this charger based on the very good reviews. I also ordered the same brand rechargeable batteries (8 D sizes) at the same time.

I used these batteries only for my flash lights. We had animal problem in our garden, that was the only reason I had to get brighter flash light.

But I did not know why the such good charger only could be used twice, then the lights went out, it also did not charge at all. That is really a bad quality products, if it is in store, I will not buy it. I did not recommend you to buy it.

4/5/2013, I replaced a new one, paid $10 shipping fee, now the new one did not work too, I only used it one time. this is an updated for the product.
on August 1, 2011
I have several battery chargers. I can't really tell you that one works better than another. This one works fine - put batteries in and the next day they are charged.
The one concern for some is that it uses a power converter wall-wart so that it takes up more space in a power strip than a plain plug, though this is one of the new, smaller wall-warts.
on March 10, 2013
First, I would definitely recommend the Rayovac rechargeable batteries. Now, this charger does indeed do its job and it's not expensive. However, it would be better if it automatically turned off after the batteries were done charging. Instead it continues to get hotter and hotter, so you have to make sure you take your batteries off if you've had them on the maximum 8 hours. It would also be nice if you could recharge an odd number of batteries without needing pairs (except the 9v). All in all, it's still a good price and does its job.
on January 11, 2012
Nice to be able to charge the different sizes of batteries in one small package. Before we only had AA and AAA chargers, then we had a baby, now we need to charge different sized, all the time. This solved all of our charging needs and still has a nice small form factor. Pretty good buy.
on November 16, 2011
I have been wanting to invest in rechargeable batteries for some time. We go through batteries like water sometimes with all the electronics in the home. I was buying a 16 pack of AA's every other week. I have only charged AA's with my Rayovac Charger. Between rechargeable and non-rechargeable I definitely prefer the rechargeable except for in things like my camera. I don't feel the battery last as long as a non-rechargeable batter but since you are able to recharge them each time they go out it is definitely a savings.

I keep it stored in my kitchen and the kids through the batteries next to the charger and grab charged ones out of the bag this way I know which ones need to be charged and which ones are already charged.