Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Rayovac UltraPro Alkaline D Batteries, 6-Pack (ALD-6)
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Size: D|Unit Count: 6|Change

on October 5, 2010
I tried to use a mag light that didn't work and when I opened it up, I found the batteries had corroded dreadfully. It took treating with mild soda water to remove the batteries at which point, I found that I had damaged the reflector in the process. The batteries were Rayovac Dec 2016.

A second mag light worked but I could only remove one battery due to corrosion. Again Rayovac Dec 2016. Their warranty requires sending the original packaging and the original receipt. Really, who keeps those things around for small purchases?

Update: I heard back from Ray-O-Vac via email and per their instructions, mailed the damaged flashlights with batteries included. I was pleasantly surprised to receive later a check to cover the cost of replacement. Then, a couple weeks later another package arrived with replacement batteries.

I am pleased with their efforts to reconcile the issue and must conclude that i must have bought a defective set of batteries.
2222 comments| 232 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 8, 2010
Old Review: These bateries seem to be seconds or rejects from the manufaturer.

I purchased two 12-packs of these "D" cell batteries. When I received them I opened both sealed packages and found at least half of the batteries in each pack were dented on the sides near the tops or bottoms and others were scratched. They all have expiration dates of DEC 2017, measured above 1.6 volts and don't seem to be leaking, so they might be just fine. I reported the problem to Amazon so maybe you won't have the same experience.

New Review: I decided to buy some more of these batteries, and this time they were perfect. Even the ones I received before, which were physically damaged on the outside, have worked very well and lasted a long time. I changed the rating from 3 to 5 stars.
33 comments| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 5, 2010
Pro: The price is right; I haven't found a better deal on 9V batteries

Con: The performance is light. I had these in smoke detectors for about 6-8 months and all went dead within a few weeks of each other.

Bottom Line: If you want a cheap, marginal performance 9V battery, this is the battery for you. I used these in smoke detectors which are wired for power, but require a 9V battery backup -- when the battery is low, the alarm "chirps", and then I replace it. Works fine for this purpose.

If you want long life and performance, you're gonna need to pay more for a better battery.
55 comments| 53 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 13, 2011
I have been so disappointed with these batteries. I change my smoke detector batteries every December 31st and never have an issue with them lasting a year but here we are April 12th and I have now replaced 3 with low power, mid you these are devices that have little current draw and should easily last a year. The last battery I took out even allowed some acid to flow out it did not hurt anything but it was trash. So I give these a VERY LOW RATING>
11 comment| 64 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 3, 2013
The description specifically states that these are for smoke detectors. There were way more positive reviews than negative, so I figured they'd be fine. I should have paid attention to those reviews that said to stay away from these for smoke detectors. I installed these into smoke detectors for our bedrooms, and they lasted less than a month.

Amazon should not be selling these with a description that says they are for smoke detectors. I hope I can help save someone else's time and money.
on September 30, 2010
I bought these in August 2009. They had an expiration date of Dec 2009. I ended up discarding half of them because by the time I got around to using them they were essentially dead. They would power a smoke detector for less than a week.
on October 6, 2013
Batteries were dented and some appeared to be cut and possibly leaking. I sealed them back up and returned them immediately... still trying to decide if I should order another package. Most of the reviews do seem good, but there is quite a few ones that advise of the leaking batteries. That is concerning! Also, I don't believe these were damaged during the shipping since the plastic container did not appear to be damaged.
on October 15, 2010
I was in line at S/n/F Thursday afternoon needing some D size for an automatic trash can. I looked down and saw 2 packs for $6.50 ea. and I need 4 batteries. When I got home I found this 12 pack for $13 on Amazon and immediately ordered them and had them on Saturday morning at my door with Amazon Prime. Such a deal.

I have been using the first 4 batteries in my automatic trash can for 6 months now. I bought and returned some duracells because they didn't have enough power to open the trash can lid for even 1 day. Rayovacs are just superior batteries because they don't waste millions of dollars on advertising like the other two. Rayovacs are just better. I have been using Rayovac AA and AAA rechargeable batteries all over my house for years. Many of them are over 5 years old and never had a failure.

HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE BATTERIES AND ALL RAYOVAC PRODUCTS. THEY ARE FAR SUPERIOR TO THE TWO OVERPRICED NAMED BRAND COMPETITORS.
on December 2, 2012
NOT FOR SMOKE DETECTORS!!! STAY AWAY!!! I purchased these to do routine battery replacement for smoke detectors in our home. After I installed these batteries into all smoke detectors I had a great sense of accomplishment. Until one night one smoke detector started giving warning signal. I had to take a battery out to find out it leaked. Then it happened again once in the evening and another time in the night. Just last night I had to pull another smoke detector out in the middle of the night. When I got to my battery organizer to get a replacement I found that one of the last two batteries leaked while sitting in a plastic storage box!!! STAY AWAY FROM THESE. Maybe Rayovac makes decent batteries but definitely not these. These are not worth a penny!
review image
on December 15, 2009
I keep these on hand all the time. I've replaced all my candles (tons and tons of candles) with flameless candles with timers (some with dual timers) that require 2 "C" batts each for 1,000-1,500 hours 'burn' time, depending on the style of 'candle'. I also have solar lanterns that hang from shepherd's hooks looped through my chain link fence Spring through Fall months that use "C"s.

Having said that, with this product, my burn time and brightness of the candles and lanterns last much longer than estimated by the manufacturers of those products (Candle Impressions), whether the candles are 'on' all the time or using them with the timers. The same holds true for the extended brightness of the stained glass (plastic) lanterns outside as compared to other C batteries I've tried in the past. They are wonderful for all those times I lose power here (and that's a lot) from wind, storms, rain, freezing rain and drizzle, snow, transformers blowing out, or sneezing. :)

I've also given the flameless candles as gifts to those who like the idea of eliminating the safety hazards of real candles that must be carefully placed and watched in their homes and always include these batteries with the gift.

Can't go wrong. I monitor this product regularly and pick it up when on sale so I never run out. Reliable, long lasting, dependable, good value. Can't go wrong.