Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Customer reviews

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 58 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 60 reviews
on September 1, 2016
I have the first edition of this book (called "Reading the Water" (1988)) - which you can still find on Amazon, I don't know why - and while the text of it is fantastic, the diagrams and especially the photos leave a lot to be desired (perhaps in 1988 it would have been two expensive to publish a full-color book for what was then a very specialized field). I mean, seriously, the photos are black and white and of such low quality that they're pretty much useless. On top of that, the photos tend to be laughably irrelevant: The one on page 65, for example, is in the chapter called "Reading Riffles" and is simply a photograph of a guy _releasing_ a fish _near_ some riffles! That was the photo that made it clear to me that Mr. Hughes, who writes almost brilliantly about how to read the water and fish for trout, clearly didn't have a photo editor - or at least didn't have one who understood how to properly use photos in such a book.

Anyway I was reading my copy of the 1988 book and decided that despite it's graphical shortcomings, the information was pure solid gold, and so I bought another copy for my friend, a 'rising' trout fisherman (yuck yuck) who I felt had enough experience to really get what Hughes is teaching. Lo and Behold, I get the 2nd edition in the mail (now called "Reading Trout Water" - a more accurate title actually) and whoa! Color photos! Better diagrams! Wow!

I bought a second copy of this 2nd edition for myself even though I have the 1988 edition.

This is simply an excellent tutorial on what clues to look for on the surface of the water to catch trout under it, and why the trout are there, as well as what type of flies (dry, wet, nymphs) to use and why trout like them. It also delves somewhat into what kind of insect life populate trout rivers.

I think this book would make a lot more sense to a fisher-person who already has some experience fishing, but even a beginner would get a real good idea of how to fish trout on a crick, stream, or river.
on October 10, 2011
I already had the 1.edition of this book and found it ok, but lacking more examples.
When I got to know about the second edition and it's addition of diagrams and pictures I thought I just had to buy it.
A long review made short: Great!

The 2.edition has excellent diagrams which together with the text explains where the water is most likely to hold fish, or most probably not.
Both editions are well structured and has focus on reading the water. It does this really well and does not mix in too much about other topics, though it has some chapters on e.g. casting and river entomology. I find these to be just perfect with references to books on those topics as well.
Reading the water could be a mystery, but the book classifies water(river, stream, creek) and lies(primary, holding...), and also types of water like runs, riffles, pools etc...
For each of these the book explains where the water is most likely to hold fish and why.
The book also quite well explains how to classify they water yourself and from there it becomes more easy to understand how to approach e.g. a riffle.
Explaining why e.g. size of insects differ from riffle to runs are interesting. Also the text on why it is probably good feeding lies after a non holding shallow riffle(since insects get washed down into the run/pool).

All in all I do really recommend it.
on May 12, 2013
This book has made me a better trout fisherman. Before I even finished it I bought the author's book on aquatic insects ("Handbook of Hatches") and together they have changed the way I look at and fish trout water. I finished the book recently, and still haven't finished the Hatches book. Nevertheless, in the 4 times I've been fishing since reading the book roughly 25% of the fish I caught were directly related to techniques or ways of looking at the water I picked up from one of Mr. Hughes' books.
on March 7, 2015
I've liked both of the books I've read by Dave Hughes and have more that I've purchased and will be reading soon. They always well written, easy to understand, and have a wealth of useful information. My only complaint with this book is that I bought the Kindle edition and for some reason, the app crashes constantly when trying to read it. I have several other Kindle books and this is the only one that has this problem. I've opened a case with Kindle support and still don't have a fix, thus my recommendation to buy the hard copy. If it weren't for this issue, I would give it 5 stars and would immediately up my rating if they can get a fix for this issue.
on June 5, 2017
Great book I've been a river and stream fisherman for 50+ years. It never hurts to have another point of view, through new eyes
on February 16, 2012
Every time I read a Dave Hughes book, I wonder how he can pack so much information in one overstuffed book and have any hope of selling another. Then I open the next book and Dave has even more wisdom to impart! In "Reading Trout Water", Dave uses anecdotes to reinforce facts about breaking the stream down into recognisable section. Each type of water has places the trout inhabit and foods available. As always, Dave's emphasis is using the knowledge to make the fishing more enjoyable.
on January 7, 2016
Simply put: Outstanding. This book is very well written, thorough and thoughtfully put together. Just the first chapter alone is worth the price. If you are even thinking about this book (which you are), buy it. You don't even have to thank me later. Also would make a great gift. Had someone turned me on to this book years ago, I would have saved a lot of time and frustration and caught a lot more fish!
on December 28, 2014
If you want to learn how to read water, stop looking for other books! All chapters are devided in the same paragraphs. Systematically and with pictures of different types of water in which fishilies are phitoshopped; briljant!
Pieter Wijnand, the Netherlands
on March 7, 2016
Although I thought the information was somewhat redundant/repetitive and could have been conveyed as well in about one third of its present form, it does contain a lot of valuable information. I learned a lot from this book and
recommend reading it. Mr. Hughes really knows what he's talking about.
on December 2, 2015
I've enjoyed all of Dave Hughes books that I've read. Reading Trout Water is a great resource that has helped me to better understand trout and the streams that I fish. I'm much more confident of my ability to locate and catch trout thanks to reading and re-reading this book. The lessons have stuck well and changed how I see trout streams.