Amazon Vehicles Beauty Return your textbook rentals STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB DG Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Shop now Shop Popular Services masterpiece masterpiece masterpiece  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon Ellen

Showing 1-10 of 74 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
David is one of my dessert heroes. Like a guitar hero he can rock. He knows his way around the chemistry of fundamentals. So you really learn the foundational techniques and the behavior of core ingredients. Work through this book and it transforms you into a power cook of the sweetest sort.

I chose the kindle version. It is a great buy, and even more portable than the printed format. I can slip it into a zip bag to brave the sloppiest cooking space (my battle kitchen).

He talks you through the recipes. The right hints at the right time. After a few, you actually know what you are doing, not just following directions. And he really tests his recipes. They all work. And he has the skinny, as it were, on using chocolate, coconut, gelatin, eggs (in whole or in part) and all the sweeteners. And he is not a gadget nut. You do not need an arsenel of high tech kitchen weaponry to make devastating deserts from the casual to the show stopper.

Way beyond an ample selection of cakes (Gateau Victoire will slay your guests, or how's about Guiness-Gingerbread Cupcake grenades?) and fusillades of cookies. Puddings and Trifle and tarts, oh my...
on July 2, 2016
This is a good book packed with recipes that are tested and dependable with good pointers on process from a pastry chef who has worked for and with the best. He certainly is one of them. David has become an interesting contributor on good circuit and lives the dream of blogging about food, fine dining, cooking and more from the city of light--Paris. I love this guy!
on January 7, 2014
I really enjoy this book and would rate it slightly above 4 starts. At this point, I've tried four recipes (marjolaine, persimmon cake, financiers, and chocolate chunk cookies) and they all came out very good. There is a good mix of unique and familiar recipes but even most of the familiar recipes come with a twist. I find the weight measurements of ingredients to be a big plus. I have found the recipes to be a bit too sweet for my taste so I've been reducing the sugar by 20-25%, but that's really a matter of personal preference. David's writing style is wonderful and light-hearted and his passion for baking really comes through in the book. I've already marked a bunch of recipes to try so I'm sure this book will continue to be well used in my house.
HALL OF FAMEon June 3, 2010
Unaware of Lebovitz till obtaining this cookbook, I was stunned by its diversity and creativity. It is right up my dessert alley, having a nice selection of what I like to make, with lots of tarts, pies, sorbets, crisps and cobblers, many of them fruit laden. The author describes this as the best of his repoitoire and then some additions and corrections.

I have had time to experience three of a mounting list of the "have to try" category: Pear Tart with Brown Butter, Rum and Pecans; Red Wine-Raspberry Sorbet and Banana Butterscotch Cream Pie (which uniquely has an unbelievably good toffee smoothness and taste with its chocholate-cookie crust. These were not that difficult to pull off and had amazing success and raving compliments from guest diners. That makes about 167 more recipes to try!

It comes with excellent sections on ingredients and equipment, along with tips and alternatives on many recipes, all with Ten Speed's 'par-for-the-course' nice large format and exquisite color photos of most of the dishes.

Sure to become one of my go-to's for great dessert!
on June 15, 2016
Lebovitz' recipes and descriptions are always excellent. Some purists seem to dislike the simplicity and thoughtfulness of his writing and/or recipes but, of course, that type of writing and testing and thoughtfulness are the most difficult to accomplish for a writer. He pulls it off all the time.
on December 12, 2016
I just love David's cookbooks. He does so much testing that the recipes work every time. That cannot be said for many recent cookbooks. I can never find his books at book sales because no one gets rid of them...good sign!
on November 9, 2016
This book has great recipes! The recipes are approachable and well explained. It is a reminder that good baking/desserts do not necessarily need to be overly complicated and involve millions of different ingredients. I enjoyed the descriptions of each recipe and the affable tone in which information/instruction is provided.
on July 3, 2012
Since I bought "Ready for Dessert" I have purchased a great number of other dessert books, but David's is still one of my very favorites. His recipes are interesting and unusual, and I have yet to make one that I didn't love (my favorite is the ginger cake - incredibly moist and flavorful). Most of the recipes are relatively straightforward to make, and the section on "extras" like sauces and caramels gives you a nice option of dressing up your dessert if you have the time and energy. I also love to read David's little introductions to each of his recipes; he's always charming and funny. If you're looking for a great dessert book with a wide range of recipes, from cookies to souffles to caramel sauces, "Ready for Dessert" is it!
on December 13, 2016
David likes to cook things he likes to eat. Me too! Lots to love in this book.
on July 10, 2016
I wish all recipes had photos but still a great book. If you are fun of deserts I recommend this book.