Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Ready For Confetti
Amazon Vehicles Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now

Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$5.99

on August 30, 2011
It seems that if you want intelligent lyrics, you have to listen to alt.country...but if you want fun, uptempo arrangements, you must resort to mainstream country. I'm quite thrilled that Ready for Confetti reminds us we don't always have to choose. The title track, "Ready for Confetti," "I Gotta Go" and "Who Do Man" are all just fun to crank up, and after just one play through the album I already was learning some of the lyrics and can easily see this being a sing-along album.

My personal favorite cut is "The Road Goes On and On," in which REK just completely tears into the kind of "countrier-than-thou-art" mainstream artist we've all come to resent. The lyrics are scathing, but the arrangement is sheer fun. Even if you don't have a vendetta against anyone in particular for whom this song would apply, I suspect many will adopt it as a vicarious sort of lashing out.

This is an album meant as much for a party with your friends as for the drive home from work. Those red lights and traffic jams will be a little more tolerable with Ready for Confetti.
on November 4, 2011
Short review: Another worthy album by Mr. Robert Earl Keen.

Mr. Keen and company continue where they left off with The Rose Hotel with a relaxed, organic style. The songs just flow, nothing feels forced. I get the distinct impression that he and his band are having a good time, and they prove capable of doing justice to a variety of styles. He even capably skewers Toby Keith dead on in The Road Goes On and On. (Toby would do well not to rip off any more of Mr. Keen's songs).

This is one album I've enjoyed listening to with high quality playback. The production is crystal clear and balanced, with some beautiful instrumental work. Each song on the album is worthwhile, and as a whole it's a solid piece of work. My favorite song at this point is Mr. Keen's cover of Todd Snider's Play a Train Song. You'd swear Mr. Keen wrote it himself it suits him so well. Black Baldy Stallion and I Gotta Go are also notable as fitting in the mold of other classic Keen songs. Beyond that it's a fun romp through different styles, with the exception of a re-recording of Paint the Town Beige. At first I didn't like having a song from a previous album included, but as I listened more carefully to the nuances of the performance I changed my mind. He's added something.

Over time Mr. Keen has distanced himself from his peers by putting out album after album, consistently great, neither quality nor productivity diminishing over time. I consider him the best of them all - or if I'm not qualified to say that, then at least my personal favorite hands down.
on September 16, 2011
Like most avid Robert Earl Keen fans, I anxiously await the release of any new REK album (CD), but "Ready for Confetti "is truly a disappointment. Listening to this record, I can't help but think Keen's best days are behind him. There really is a not a single song that is a strong standout, except possibly, the (slightly)reworked version "Paint The Town Beige" .His cover of Todd Snider's "Play a Train Song" is a close second, but nowhere as good as the original. However, I am sure Snider appreciates the nod from Keen, and whatever pocket change it will bring. "Soul Of Man", a bluegrass infused number, rates, but I'd contend that the remaining songs on the album would be culled from any of Keen's 15 previous albums. "Top Down" is just plain awful......................now I have a song I dislike more than "Daddy Had A Buick".
If you are a new REK listener, save your money on this one. Instead, start your collection at Gravitational Forces, and go backwards. These albums are pure gold. If you are an avid REK fan, like I am, buy it to complete your collection. It is still better than most of the stuff they are playing on the radio these days.
on October 6, 2012
I'm not sure I can bring myself to NOT recommend buying an R.E.K. album, I love him that much...but I have to say that if you are a first-time Keen buyer, don't let this be your first album...you will never get to know authentic Robert Earl Keen music through this one. For instance, Much of "Black Baldy Stallion" has a rhythm and beat that seriously sounds like it's being sung for a kindergarten class, I think if my preschooler heard it she would stomp her feet and clap her hands; the mainstream island feel of "Waves of the Ocean" (and even "Ready for Confetti") left me about as fulfilled as listening to Margaritaville and I would never want any REK fan to liken him to Jimmy Buffet! And unfortunately, although a catchy tune, "The Road goes on and on" is hard to listen to as it reminds me way too much of Taylor Swifts' jilted, I'll-get-you-back song "Mean". The really bad about this album: "Top Down"...enough said...yikes what a hard song to listen to! But, here's the good about this album: First, it's Robert Earl Keen, so there ya go, second, "Paint the Town Beige" and I can probably include a third, "Soul of a Man". (My advice, just buy those 3 as mp3's and add them to your already beloved REK playlist)
All-in-all this seems like an album that was put together just for the sake of putting together an album rather than to showcase the gritty, raw talent of the amazing Robert Earl Keen. I think he took a 3-week vacation to Hawaii and wrote these songs will in a blissful state of sun, sand and drinks with umbrellas and had temporarily forgotten about the guts, soul and grittiness of life in the lower 48. Buy this album if you love REK and will promise to still love him after the let down of this album. Otherwise, look for Gringo Honeymoon instead.
on February 22, 2016
Love the album; I purchased it as a present for my father. However, it took three tries for Amazon to deliver the correct album. Each time, the Amazon chat support workers were helpful and pleasant. This was the first time I had a problem with Amazon delivering the wrong item. I was surprised that the wrong item got sent twice on a single order, especially the second time since Chat Support helped with that purchase.
Ultimately, my dad got the album I wanted him to hear. It's a good album by a great artist and now we have a funny story about how it arrived.
on August 30, 2011
I was both excited and skeptical about this release. Excited because I have yet to find an REK album that is not worth having, and skeptical because of the title.

For me at least, there are no tracks on this album that will make my personal Keen Top 10. In actuality, there may not be a track worthy of the Top 20. But when you're talking about a songwriter like Robert Earl Keen, it is always tough to top previous successes. I think the cover of Snider's "Play a Train Song" is absolutely outstanding, and "I've Gotta Go" is pretty classic Keen. Personally, I think the weak points on the album are the title track, "Show the World" and "Top Down," but even these cuts may grow on me. Also, I'm sure there are plenty who will find these songs to be their favorites.

It is obvious that Keen enjoyed making this album. It isn't pure cowboy music or pure Americana, but it is solid work that is weighty without taking itself too seriously. I appreciate that Keen engages in thought-provoking work, but doesn't disrespect his audience by regurgitating banal political diatribes. I wish other Texas songwriters would emulate REK in this regard.

Also, "Road Goes On and On" is about Toby Keith, according to some of the pre-release interviews I've read. Scathing and hilarious.
on September 3, 2011
Well, it's finally here, all the hipe on REK's facebook page about "Ready For Confetti".....woo hoo!! Takin from the notes from the cd insert, "It doesn't matter if you are cosmically connected or have you head in the sand, the world is changing whether you are ready or not.".....And that would describe this cd....it's not like anything REK has put out before "like it or not."
on August 30, 2011
... came up with that title!

On second thought: If it was Robert Earl Keen himself or whoever is responsible for releasing the album, let him live. :-)

But seriously folks: Ready For Confetti? What title is that? Still, don't let it scare you away from the album. REK's latest release is some fine Americana singer/songwriter CD. Saying that the title track is even one of my least favorite tracks on the 12-track CD doesn't say much because it is still a fine song. It's just that there are plenty of better ones on there: The Road Goes On And On, Lay Down My Brother, Soul Of A Man and a cover version of Todd Snider's excellent Play A Train Song to name my favorites. Every now and then you wish REK would delve a little deeper into the vein of American music. A gospel choir on Soul Of A Man for example but just as I'm about to suggest some spoon playing on I Gotta Go it occurs to me that those may actually be spoons I am hearing :-)

To sum it up: Great album, which I can reccomend without any hesitation!
on February 18, 2013
We like Robert E. Keen as an artist, and have his recording collection. However, his last couple CDs seemed relatively mediocre. After purchasing and listening to Ready for Confetti, we were very happy to feel that "he's back" again. The variety of song styles was especially "note" worthy. Although "Paint the Town Beige" had been previously released on " A Bigger Piece of Sky," it fit well in the song assortment. Nice Job.
on March 7, 2012
On this album REK follows the trend of his most recent works in having one or two experimental songs, a couple of outlaw toe-tappers, some hot bluegrass and slide guitar, a healthy dose of self-reference, and at least one song that is so sublimely sad that you simultaneously wish such melancholy didn't exist in this world while hoping for even a single day of your life to be filled with so much beauty.