Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Shop Now PSFF17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 94 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 155 reviews
on December 26, 2014
My 8-yr old son just received this for Christmas. He was excited to build something but was very disappointed because there aren't any instructions on how to build the items shown on the box. The Building Idea Guide book, the paper manual in the kit, is of no use whatsoever!!!! It only shows labeled pictures of the tools, and a couple pictures of using a couple of the tools, and diagrams of "pieces" of the objects to make, but there is no way to make the "pieces" of the objects because there are no instructions on how to!!!!! Usually you see these type of diagrams in a ready-to-build desk kit where all the pieces are already cut and drilled with the holes to inserts the screws. This would be fine if the 'pieces were cut already or at least have an outline if what to cut. But we just have blank sheets of the material!!! How can this toy manufacturer not put templates or instructions? How stupid!!!!!! I had to select a star for this rating to be submitted, but wish there was an option not to select any!!
on January 19, 2013
First off, my kids loves this so I gave it four stars. But my husband HATES this!! I tried to build something with my kid but there are NO directions and NO plans. They show you pictures of what an engineer could make and tell you what parts you need but it is 100% up to you to figure out the dimentions. In my opinion, this is a parents worst nightmare. Took my husband 2.5 hours to build a 6"x6" tank. Hah, I would recommend it to kids that are about 12 and can figure it out for themselves. My kid is 6... so he was absent for the entire process unless he was able to hammer/screw something in.
on December 26, 2013
My seven year old got this gift from Santa. He was incredibly excited to get it, and anxious to start building the pirate ship. Wow. This is not for lazy parents. :) Instructions for building are on the website, located on the instruction manual. The website is pretty good, but it definitely requires a lot of work. I figured the best thing to do was to copy down the instructions first, then draw the places onto the wood for my son to cut. Lots of measuring is required, as well as some guesswork. I marked the measurements on the wood with pen since pencil didn't work. Luckily, my mistakes could be erased with a pencil eraser. My son struggled to cut the wood, and when I tried, I found that it was pretty difficult. It can be done, but not as easily as I had hoped. Actually building the ship wasn't as difficult as figuring out the measurements.

However, with all of this said, my son absolutely adores this gift. He feels proud of his hard work, and I think it will build his confidence in building things in the future. I wish the tools were a bit sharper, but since this gift was for my son and not me, and he loves it so much, I gave it 4 stars. If you think your child would be interested in building the ship, more wood and nails are definitely needed for other projects.
on September 15, 2014
This is a blast for kids. My son has put many different models together without using a how to booklet. It promotes creativity and imagination in kids. Its not messy at all. Set comes with 120 pieces including tools. Tools are very realistic but are just plastic. They still work well on the material. Includes Saw, Hammer, Screw Driver, Hole Borer, Small Detail Saw, Nails, Screws, and Multiple Pieces of Kid Wood. All tools are safe for kids to use. They are not sharp at all and again they are all plastic pretend to play toys. The material used to cut is real easy to manage with plastic saw. I think your little ones will truly enjoy making their own creations. If you feel uneasy about spending $30 something dollars I would suggest starting with a smaller set and see if you like it. Smaller sets run between $10-$20.
on November 9, 2013
I bought this for my 4 year old grandsons and they have not played with anything since.
It is a fantastic learning tool. My grandsons always want to do woodwork with me and they do learn a lot but with very strict supervision. This teaches them all they need to know but completely safely. They can also build things without my supervision which they love.
We had no problems with the instructions as they can follow the simple pictures. If you want more detailed instruction simply go to YouTube and they have great instructions for all sorts of "real construction" projects. We just finished a couple of tanks and the kids were able to do 90 percent of it themselves.
I also bought them the RC electric drill with screw driver attachments. Again, fantastic. It worked really well and is nice and study. I am off to watch them make a plane now.
on August 15, 2014
My 5 year old son absolutely loved this. He was so excited that he could cut his own wood and use the different tools. He prefers to make up his own creations, so the instructions weren't an issue. His first project was to use the hinges to make a door for his bunk bed, which he was thrilled with. He needed some help from my husband at first but is now able to create all sorts of "inventions" on his own. But yes, the wood is really just foam, so if you are looking for real wood or durable creations, this is not for you. But if you have a creative little one who is always begging to use tools, this is a safe, dustless way to start them learning the basics.
on February 1, 2016
Great product. I don't recommend for kids under 7,8. My son is 5 and thinks that he can use the saws on our furniture. We have enforced regulations (he ha), we used the set together and have great fun making different projects. Saws are somewhat sharp, but not dangerously sharp. Supervision is recommended. Expect the younger kids to waste a lot of the Styrofoam! I purchased the added Styrofoam pack, well worth it! Lots of fun building with my son!
on March 7, 2012
This was not what i was expecting for the money. I gave it as a gift and watched as it was opened and played with for the best part of just 10 minutes.
The kids took one look at the instructions and decided to have a go but soon decided they were not clear enough to follow and so not worth it.
So they just set about sawing and nailing for a few minutes until they had lots of little pieces of foam all over the place. The educational value of this toy came about in the form of learning to clear up your mess.

Instead of buying this i had just purchased a saw and hammer from the dollar store and brought some foam packaging material from work.
on March 13, 2011
There are many reviews on the product being to hard for the kid to build things, or no directions on how to build the item. I am here to tell you that my 7 year old loved this and all kids will. This is the main reason I feel the parents who are dissatisfied are, they are not willing to take the time to try to build an item with thier child. My son's father sat down with him and let my son do most of the building by giving him direction being some what of a carpenter himself. My son managed to build the tank, he plays with it all the time and it is still going strong. I think aside from that he was very proud of it and tells everyone about how him and his dad built it together. That was the most satifying fact about the toy. SO to all the parents out there if you are willing to sit down and take the time this is a great toy.
on January 1, 2011
Well, I saw the Real Construction Workshop advertised on television and I thought it was a very cool toy. Enabling kids to construct stuff from play wood that seemingly imitated the real thing and using close-to-real-life tools. It does live up to those descriptions, but to actually construct something is quite difficult. I can understand getting diagrams of objects and layers (only layers, nothing labeled) of puting the thing together... but it's not enough to keep the fun factor in there. The educational value would've been so much higher if they actually gave dimensions and measurements to follow. Instead construction in itself is entirely frustrating and you spend every minute trying to figure out which piece to use and how big it should be cut. Through all this, you waste a lot of the fake wood and a lot of time. Bottom line, this is not something your kid can play with on his/her own, maybe a tweeny can figure it out... but I think the excitement value for an older child would not be there for this toy. Overall, it's an ok toy, but you'll need lots of wood to work with if you're building blind. It does look cool once everything is put together right though.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.