Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle MozartintheJungle  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno
Customer Discussions > To Kill a Mockingbird forum

Real-Life Atticus Finches and Tom Robinsons

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-1 of 1 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 7, 2010, 6:15:48 AM PDT
D. Hunt says:
I suspect that other readers of To Kill a Mockingbird have been inspired to investigate parallel real-life racial incidents in their own communities. In my own town of Columbia, Missouri, a black man named James Scott was accused (wrongly, I think) of raping a white professor's daughter in 1923. The local newspaper called for a lynching, and a mob soon formed, including a crowd of several hundred spectators. It is a shocking story. There was some attempt to hold the mob at bay, and then to prosecute the leaders, but Columbia had no Atticus Finch, and the smaller men who were put in his role were ineffective.

I would be very interested in hearing about parallel episodes in other communities, and I'm sure other readers would as well.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  1
Total posts:  1
Initial post:  Jul 7, 2010
Latest post:  Jul 7, 2010

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
To Kill a Mockingbird
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (Hardcover - Sept. 1995)
4.8 out of 5 stars (10,136)