Salon Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition $99.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on September 10, 2012
I loved this book. It was informative, surprising, and beautifully written. Even though i finished reading it a while ago, I keep it by my chair so I can pick it up sporadically and read just a sentence or two so I can be reminded about what I love in the world.
on June 9, 2016
Very disappointed in this book...not what I would call an enjoyable read at all. Why did she bother?
on March 15, 2004
The mindset of this author, as she panned across the realm of "so-called reality," was right on target. Looking at various instances, being seen as a production rather than a reality, is quite moving. She explores the question, "who are we?" Early on she mentions that we are cartoon versions of ourseleves. We create whatever we want. Life is merely a movie production in itself.
No matter what you read, if you do or not, this book has realizations that you have never explored this deeply. The author lets us know that we can be who we want, not literally, well almost. You start to analyze the way you present your- self to, for instance, a stranger, compared to how you act in front of a close friend. A person can perceive him or herself anyway that seems appropriate. They can also project an image that may not be consistent with their normal life. This is playing a part, merely acting within reality.
Within the book you get several perspectives, different eyes guide you through a world you may or may not recognize. No matter who you are, there is something to take from what has been written. The author pushes the question of why we do the things we do. Why do we submit to this, "order inside of chaos?"
In one of the chapters, a short entry titled "Phosphorescence," there is a line that reads, "She does not know what day it is and she knows what day it is precisely." This is an example of the author showing us what we need to look at life from different angles. Things aren't always as they seem. How we see it, isn't really how it is. Speculation cannot be grounded.
Overall, this book was a great read, excellent use of language. Her raw descriptions brought these ideas to a whole new level. The manner in which she tackled relations, love, sex, hate, drama, art, death, etc. was somewhat of an eye-opener As a reader, I could relate, and by the end I too was feeling her when she said that there is, "no distance between blindness and insight."
on May 10, 2003
I'm no sure what hits me most... not being a big fan of reading and all... but I was totally blown away by the language in Yuknavitch's book. I know that some critics can't think through three different voices on the same page, but I can, and I was amazed. Besides formalistic innovative moves, Yuknavitch was able to capture the esence of sex, violence, betraytal and love... love in sense of her man, her friends, her child not yet born... all of which are things I can relate to. I would suggest this book to everyone, whatever line of work you come from. There's something in it for you.
on January 10, 2006
Man, I don't find many women writers today critiquing culture with such finesse or courage--at the same time there is humor and artfulness and irony and beauty. The stories all take the reader to a place they either have never been, or try very hard not to think about, which is what books COULD be doing today but mostly don't.

I bought all of her books and they kicked my ass. Truly a joy to find.
on June 23, 2004
This was my first FC2 book but as I am an experimental poet I wanted to approach it open mindedly. I was immediately disappointed with the first story, whose three simultaneous voices were more theoretical than pratical and seemed to be devoid of imagery or concrete anything. Then I really enjoyed a few of the things in this book -- the story of an addict and her lover, told in images, in fragments, in memories. A man's lost eye. Departure from the vernacular, but in a meaningful way. Then, once again, I find she is abstractin' around.