Your Garage Luxury Beauty Killers of the Flower moon STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Book House Cleaning billions billions billions  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Format: Spiral-bound|Change
Price:$11.87+ $3.99 shipping

Showing 1-10 of 44 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 55 reviews
on July 13, 2011
I've had this book for less than 24 hours, and I've already learned a solution to a maddening cleaning problem I've been having; when I clean my toilet, I can get the whole bowl sparkling, except for a maddening ring inside the rim due to lime or rust or something. No cleaning or scouring product, brush, or sponge I've tried can completely remove it. Enter "Real Simple: Cleaning." The solution to this problem is to use a pumice stick/stone to remove it, which is not something that ever occurred to me. I can see why people who were taught to clean as children and teens might think this book is too basic, but I was never taught such things. My mother is a wonderful woman who passed down her love of reading, kick-ass study habits, and wry sense of humor to me, but house cleaning was not a priority for her while she was working on her degree while I was a kid. She then worked 12-hour shifts without complaint so I could go to the college of my choice. Housework fell by the wayside while we were both deeply engrossed in our respective schoolwork. So as an adult, the responsibility to learn such things is on me. I really do need to know a list of the basic equipment I need for most household tasks, which types of cleaning products and methods work for different cleaning jobs, and how often I should do each type of cleaning, all of which this book provides. I'm really late to the party as far as these skills go, and am thrilled that I have such an essential book from which to learn. I've been a big Swiffer/Clorox wipes/Soft Scrub/Mr. Clean user prior to finding this book, and will probably keep a small amount of such products as backups in my cleaning arsenal should I need to quickly clean before guests come over, but it's also great to know that I can use simple household products I already own, such as dishwashing soap and white vinegar instead of doing last-minute runs to the store for manufactured chemical products that release potentially harmful fumes and don't necessarily clean as well as the "recipes" this book suggests as substitutes.
VINE VOICEon September 26, 2011
Do you ever think, "I need to clean my kitchen." Then you go into your kitchen and just stand there trying to figure out where to start? Well, then this is a perfect book for you. Cleaning each room in the house is broken down into step by step directions. Have more time? There are additional directions you can do! This is perfect! It is also great for when you ask you spouse to help you by cleaning, say the bathroom. There are step by step instructions they can look at so the bathroom is clean without you having to tell them item by item what to do.
This book also has the handy little feature of telling you how to clean any room of your house in a quick 10 minutes! MIL stopping by? No problem! 10 minutes and your kitchen is guest ready.
Another thing I love about this book is the cleaning schedule. It has the RealSimple periodic table of cleaning. In chart form it lists what household cleaning tasks should be done weekly, monthly, every 6 months, yearly, etc.
The book goes into detail about how to clean your stove and other things like that. It does have some common household stain fixes, but not all.
Real Simple: Cleaning is also a pretty book. It is spiral bound with a clean plastic cover. Very pretty. It'd make a nice gift.
on February 17, 2015
Growing up in a household where the only real cleaning done was the "oh my gosh company is coming and this place is a wreck" type of cleaning, I have truly struggled my whole life to form some decent cleaning habits. I love this book and feel like it's helping! I like how it breaks down cleaning by rooms and tells you not only what to clean but how to clean it. I also appreciate some of the simple cleaners suggested like ammonia, vinegar, etc., not that I'm a big "green" person but every little bit helps, right? I think the only thing I wish this book had was some charts that could be copied and used. I can certainly make my own but a starting point would have been helpful. Other than that, great book, great layout, and great information!
on September 18, 2013
I am not neat, born organized or very motivated by cleaning. I seriously needed a jump start. I kind of know how to clean but I was looking for specific directions and plans to make my job easier. This book easily fit my needs. The first section of the book has a "room" 101 for each room of your house. Then it has a going deeper section as well as many sidebar notes on tips tricks and cautions. Unique areas such as your office desk or shower stall each have their own page or 1/2 page devoted to their specific needs. The second shorter section is all about the care required for different fabrics or surfaces. There is a clever chart in the back with a suggested frequency of cleaning from weekly to annually depending upon the task and it's dirt. Basic enough that it will help my teen to learn good cleaning skills but advanced enough to help out those of us who need better techniques and patterns.
on February 28, 2012
It was just what I was looking for!!! I was overwhelmed by just getting started, and this book helped point me in the direction I needed and guide me the rest of the way!
on April 28, 2013
Excellent resource for the unorganized. This book contains exhaustive lists of what to do in each room, frequency, and guidance on cleaning specific materials. Spiral-bound, it's made to lay flat to use wherever you're cleaning.

Trophy wives who can no longer afford their housekeeper should also buy this.
on January 27, 2008
I have no objection to the book -- it's in a nice format and attractive looking, however, the advice is a bit on the "lite" side. Advice like "Dirty switchplates? Use a Q-tip dipped in alcohol to clean them." Well, I'm no genius at cleaning (hence, I purchased this book), but I think I could figure that one out!!! Most of the book was like that for me. I don't mean to be totally negative, there were several worthwhile tips.

My advice? Try to buy the book used at a reduced price. It's not worthless, just not worth as much as I had hoped.
on November 9, 2009
This book is terrific!!! I love it, it is very detailed and gives the simple solutions that I have been looking for to clean my house. I don't have to run out and buy anything fancy or expensive to get the job done and done well! It gets right to the basics and the layout of the book is great. It would make a great house warming gift.
on January 14, 2008
This is a great book for a person who is out on their own for the first time. There are detailed instructions on how to test all flooring types, and how to best clean them. I fould this part to be most helpful. There are some obvious parts that are a little too basic, for example how to clean a toilet. I agree that the book is pretty basic, however, it is a great quick reference guide. The spiral bounding allows for easy referencing while cleaning.

All of the "Real Simple" books are helpful and user friendly.
on July 25, 2013
This book is such a delight to look thru....As a self confessed love of all things organized, I can tell you I really enjoyed this book. I loved all the different organizing ideas. It is very, very inspiring!