Your Garage Beauty Best Books of the Year So Far STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning gotpremiere gotpremiere gotpremiere  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

The Real World Cost of Playing the Sims 3

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 57 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 11, 2009, 12:19:41 PM PDT
J. Clyde says:
I moved this from a comment section of a review on the base game to here. It might be informative for most people except the one Sims groupie who keeps voting any negative comments regardless of content a no. The Sims 3 may be the most expensive franchised game ever, even then those requiring a monthly fee to play on line at this rate. Even at that it would take a lot of months of game play to top these figures which at this rate will top $1000 in about a year or less.

THE REAL COST OF THE SIMS 3 and VIRTUAL ITEMS AT THE SIMS 3 STORE

Here is a quick rundown of what buying at EA's Sims 3 micro transactional store will cost you, keeping in mind the fact that the game was just released 30 days ago. I think PT Barnum must now be running EA (all dollars U.S. The stuff cost more in most other countries):

Virtual Furniture Sets:

Tiki Set: $5.75
Storybook Set: $19.00
Hewnsman: $20.00
Bayside: $14.50
Ultra Lounge (released today) - $20.00

Total Virtual Furniture Cost One Month after game release (only if buying as sets, much more bought individually): $79.25

Keep in mind that as high as those prices, if you buy items individually, the cost per item goes up even more ridiculously. A single door can cost you $1.00 U.S., as will a stairway, window or fireplace. And EA is sincerely hoping for these things: That you are a Sims addict who has to have everything Sim, that you can't do basic math, and that you will never ever stop to add up how much you have actually spent on this gaming franchise, and most of all stop to realize how little is in the game so that they can bring you what you always wanted; The Sims 3 store.

All of this over and above the content that you just paid for in the game, such as it was. Want more? You might as well be informed.

The True Cost of The Sims 3 by way of The Sims 3 Store.

Clothing Female:

There are 23 female every day tops available for Teens/Adult-Young Adults. Each will cost you 75 cents.
Total: $17.25

There are 8 female every day bottoms available for Adult-Young Adults at .75 each.
Total: $6.00.

There is 1 female everyday teen full outfit at .75.
There are 27 female everyday young adult-adult outfits at .75
There is 1 elder female outfit for .25.
Total: $21.25

There are 4 formal female adult/young adult tops at .75 each.
There are 2 formal female adult/young adult bottoms at .75 each.
There are 16 formal female complete outfits at .75 each, and 1 elder at .25 each.
Total cost to dress your sim females in formals: $16.75

There is 1 female adult/young adult athletic top at .75.
There is 1 female adult/young adult athletic bottom at .75.
There is 1 female adult/young adult athletic full outfit at .75.
Total cost for your female Sim to exercise in style: $2.25

Total Cost of Clothing Female: $63.50

Clothing Male:

There are 18 male adult-young adults & Elder everyday tops at .75 each.
Total: $13.50

There are 5 male adult/young adult everyday outfits at .75 each.
Total: $3.75

There are 6 male adult/young adult formal tops at .75 each. One Elder top for .25.
Total: 4.75

There is 1 adult male complete formal at .75.
Total: .75

There is 1 adult/young adult athletic top at .75.
There are 2 adult/young adult athletic bottoms at .75.
Total: $2.25

Total Cost of Clothing Male:
$25.00

Total Cost of all clothing at Sims 3 Store as of July 2, one month after game release:
$88.50

Hair Styles:

1 Female Toddler Hair Style at .25 each
1 Female Child Hair Style at $1.00 each
5 Female Teen/Adult/Young Adult/Elder (one size fits all) Hair Styles at $1.00 each
10 Female Teen/Adult/Young Adult/Elder (one size fits all) Hair Styles with accessories at $1.00 each. (Note: Even more ridiculous because after you take a closer look, these many of these "different" accessories are actually the same, only with different patterns or colors.
1 Male Toddler Hair Style at .25
4 Male Child Hair Styles at .50 each.
4 Male Child Hair Styles with accessories at .50 each.
5 Male Teen/Adult/Young Adult/Elder (one size fits all) Hair Styles at .75 each.
3 Male Teen/Adult/Young Adult/Elder (one size fits all) Hair Styles with accessories at .75 each.

Total Cost for extra Hair: $26.50

GRAND TOTAL of SIMS 3 STORE CONTENT ONE MONTH AFTER GAME WAS RELEASED WITH MINIMAL ITEMS, AND AN ATTEMPT BY EA TO SHUT OUT CUSTOM CONTENT MAKERS OVER AND ABOVE INITIAL COST OF GAME:

$194.25

Is it no wonder that Sims player, above and beyond all others, have given new meaning to nickel and diming game players to death with micro transactions? Sure, people pay a monthly fee to play World of Warcraft, but to play the Sims, EA wants you to invest for an eternity and not give you a whole lot of improvement in gameplay at all. There are some games that charge you for micro-transactions, but they don't charge you for the game either. That's what a base game is. Some Sims try to pass off Sims 3 as a base game, but should a basic game with nothing really cost you this much?

Every improvement in the Sims 3 is very superficial, and it gives new meaning to the term redundancy. It reminds me in many ways why the Sims On Line Never caught on. There you paid a monthly fee to play, and all you did was what you pretty much do in this game, and oh yeah you could communicate with other players. And speaking of messaging, EA has taken that option out of The Sims 3 official site (as soon as someone found a work around so that you could message another, EA quickly shut it down. I guess they figure we'd all start conspiring against them) and pretty much dumbed down that site as well.

But maybe some parent will figure this out before buying the game for their kid and then later finding out what they are really in store for. And frankly, EA's sorry attempt to kill the free custom content community that has always been a part of the Sims, and was what the real Sims community was all about, was the last straw for me.

Now I'm sure someone is going to bring up the 1000 points you get to use at the store for buying the game. Be aware of this: That is nothing more than an advertising write off for EA to entice you to spend real money at the store. In essence, they will get their money out of those points buy using it as an advertising expense at the end of the fiscal year. So they will collect from the government, in the hopes of collecting more from you. What a joke.

9/8/2009

Items added to the Sims 3 Store since the Ultra Lounge Adult/Young adult Furniture Set:

Furniture:
Regal Living $24.00
Steampunk $3.25
Ultra Lounge Youths: $16.50
Ultra Lounge Teens: $9.00
Castle: $5.25

Clothing:
Victoria Fashions $9.50
Jet Set Adults/Young Adults: $6.75
Jet Set Teen: $5.75
Jet Set Elders: $2.50

Total New Items: $82.50
And the Grand Total to stock your game from the Sims 3 Store as of 9/8/2009, just three months after game release and over two months from an expansion pack (whose price has been jacked up also, more about that later) :
$276.75

And remember, when you download and buy items individually you are not saving money. You are actually paying an even bigger markup. If you were to price all the items individually, it would probably be closer to $400.00. The price quotes I have are only if you buy the items that come in them, in a set.

9/12/2009

In another example of EA overkill and greed, today they released some new items to the Sims 3 store. You get these items and which ones you get depends on how many points you buy at the store from $5 to $20. But there is a catch. A big one. This offer is only good if you have never bought any points at the store before. In essence, EA gives the middle finger to those who may have already spent a small fortune. (What? You spent $20 last week? So what? We have your money already? What do you expect, fools? Gratitude?) Frankly, I think anybody who spends a single cent at that store really needs their head examined. The whole Sims 3 franchise has become only about the store while the game suffers because of it: 1000 points used as a tax write off to entice you to spend more money if you buy the game, 1000 points if you buy the expansion pack to entice you to spend even more money at the store (so what if we're jacking up the price of the expansion pack ) But the expansion pack and get 15 items at THE STORE. The store. Even in interviews about the game, a good portion of the talk is always about the store, very little about game play or improving customer service. Heck, it's never about customer service. Maybe if CEO, John Rottenchilli would spend less time on his gimmicks and more time communicating and improving customer relations, then EA's sorry reputation might not be in the toilet.

New stuff addded in the Sims 3 Store 10-02-2009
Steam Punk The Return: $3.25
Steam Punk Savvy: $10.00

Total cost to play the Sims 3:

$290.00

Expansion Pack World Adventure: $39.99 (MSRP)

Total Cost Now Stands at $329.99 for a game released just four months ago.

10-11-2009

Just released. Animals Abound temporarily on sale for $8.50. Regular price will be $9.90 as of 10/15
New Cost for Playing Sims 3. $339.89

Posted on Oct 12, 2009, 2:06:49 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 12, 2009, 4:59:33 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 12, 2009, 8:13:34 AM PDT
Echo says:
All this is very true and its sickening how much one could potentially wind up paying while playing ts3. However, None of the items in the store actually add to the playability of the game or add anything besides asthetics. So, if you're smart, at realize, no, you don't, need all the "cool" new clothing or furniture sets because at the end of the day, they will provide the same functionality as the ones included in the game, then you could easily avoid wasting cash in the store. Plus, there is still custom content.. so....

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 13, 2009, 3:20:49 PM PDT
Uncle Schuft says:
There's no requirement to buy anything at the offiical Sims 3 store. There are plenty of third-party content makers who create content for free. There will be even more in the future as the third-party content tools improve and become more user friendly. Search for "sims 3 mods" or "sims 3 content" and enjoy.

Posted on Oct 16, 2009, 8:38:39 PM PDT
I never pay for the stupid crap off EA's website. They just rip you off. It's really a pity because I had always loved EA's games before and they're just really disappointing me. Their greed is unbelievable and it's lowering their quality in masses. A few years ago, if I found the creator to the Sims, I would have given him a hug...he'd be lucky to not get kicked either in the shins or somewhere more sensitive.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2009, 9:45:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2009, 9:46:26 PM PDT
J. Clyde says:
"Their greed is unbelievable and it's lowering their quality in masses"

Somebody who gets it. I've been tempted to come back and explain why I posted those figures but was hoping somebody else would understand that it goes beyond how much content is in the store. You certainly get it.

I fully understand that most sane people wouldn't think of stuffing that much money into EA's pockets for what amounts to nothing but game decoration. And when you look at the stuff, most of it is from rehashed meshes from Sims 2 or stuff already in the game.

Now, I know there are micro transactions, but for The Sims 3, EA has taken them to a whole new level. It is no longer about the game or gameplay. Instead it is about how many things can we market to squeeze every last dime out of the customers. And the cost? That comes in many forms. Everything from customer service to quality control (how else to explain that Sims 3 was released totally borked with one of it's major advertised "improvements" not even working properly?) is placed way on the back burner while CEO John Riccitiello and his minions continue to come up with more and more money making schemes instead of making a better, more pleasurable game experience for the customers. I guarantee you that when they decided on World Adventures as the first expansion pack, one of the first meetings was how they could use it to sell more items at the 3 store in which the markups are incredible. Everything else was secondary.

It's already been proven that they left things out of the original game when it launched simply so they could sell them at the Sims 3 store when it launched at the exact same time. All you have to do is go back and look at the many videos and pictures that were placed out there months before the game hit the market. You will in fact, see stuff that was sold in the 3 store but not included in the game, a game in which after you play it for a while, you discover how many short cuts they really did take, from the rabbit holes to the lack of content in CAS and Build mode. Go back and read all the interviews and articles leading up to the launch of the Sims 3. In practically all of them, they always find time to promote the 3 store, and often talk about it as much as they do the game itself. In the very first interview for World Adventure, fully 1/3 of the interview was about buying from the 3 store. And yes, there are totally addicted Sims fans who have bought everything at that store (I've met them), which may be great for Riccitiello's stock but awful for the game, game play, and reasonable customers.

There is absolutely no reason for a ten dollar price increase in this expansion pack. "But we are giving you 1000 points to spend at the store," EA says gleefully. I say, "Keep your crummy 1000 points and reduce the cost of the game back to $29.99." But they won't. They won't because they aren't losing anything by giving you that 1000 points and in fact can make money off of that by declaring each $10 worth of points given away as an advertising expense. And this I will stake this post on: At the launch of World Adventures you will see a huge influx of items that go with that particular expansion pack put on sale at the store.

What EA will find out though is that many of us who love this franchise have our limits. If you don't care about the game other than using it to penny ante your customers to death, then why should we care?

Posted on Oct 19, 2009, 7:19:28 PM PDT
Shik says:
I personally only find it disgusting if you're dumb enough to buy into it -- if you are, and you REALLY need 9 crappy hairs in your game, or just NEED another couch that looks exactly the same as the others once you texture it, then by all means, feed them so they kick out more stuff. They're not going to do away with it, and all gaming companies are greedy (perhaps not quite this blatant about it, but still...). I play the game with what came with the base, and I'm perfectly happy -- a little custom here and there to add new designs to my stuff, and I really have nothing to complain about.

Bottom line: If you own a brain and a calculator, don't buy into it. It's still an awesome game, and I still love the franchise.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 20, 2009, 5:59:16 PM PDT
You're an idiot. Don't buy stuff you don't want. I never buy extra stuff, and I can play just fine (unlike World of Warcraft, which you can't play at all without paying).

Posted on Oct 21, 2009, 10:03:12 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 21, 2009, 10:04:28 AM PDT
Cory says:
ou get like 10 bucks worth of sims3store points with each game you buy. 10 bucks worth with the base game, and worlds adventures will give you ten bucks also. it seems every full expansion pack will include ten bucks. So, basically, for five more dollars on the price of a sims2 expansion pack, you get ten dollars to use in the store. of course, it is questionable why any game would cost 35-40-60-90 bucks to make a cd for, since the materials likely only cost five bucks, but hey... thats how the world works, you make profit where you can.

People who complain about the sims store really have little to complain about... they would if EA was holding a gun to your head screaming *give us your credit card number you PEON OR WE WILL SHOT OUR F'N BRAINS OUT!!!!!!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO IT NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
If people want to spend money in it, let them... there money, they can waste it however they want...

I used my ten bucks from the base game, along with a gift card to the store a friend bought for me. in all, I have only spent five dollars of my own money extra in the store to use the thirty I had to pay for the rest of a second set I liked. I use them more often in my game than most of the base game items, and dont regret it. My friend had bought my twenty bucks knowing I was a sims fan, and it was not like I was going to waste it. Do I plan to buy more? well, I might throw in another five bucks to get another set with the ten bucks you get with worlds advetures... but only if it is a set I think I would use. enough to warrent five bucks.

Wih Create-A-Style, you can transform any object into a whole new set practically. The sets I bought were ones I could envision useing CaStyle with, and have really expanded my group of base objects. And boy have I done just that.

It is like cigerrettes. only idiots still believe there are not harmful risks of them, but people still smoke them knowing how detrimental to their health... it is not like they are being forced to smoke them; they choose too...

let people waste their money if they want too.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 21, 2009, 4:22:22 PM PDT
J. Clyde says:
Try posting again when you become a little more literate. I'm not trying to be rude, but many of your words are so scrambled and joined together, they are practically senseless. Especially the upper section. Nobody is trying to stop you from spending your money where you want or how you want so have at it if you so desire. I wrote the initial post, and several days later I explained why. Since you obviously didn't read it or understand the why, and simply feel a need to state your fanboyness. You absolutely did not respond to anything I wrote or at least in a way that made sense.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2009, 10:25:24 AM PDT
Amber says:
I completely agree with your post. I was disappointed with the obvious greed and disregard for the purchaser displayed by EA Games. I own every Sims game and refuse to buy any content from the store. My initial points did not even work, so I have never procured any extra content! The game is fine as it is and you can customize enough content to change it. It's sad becuase I really enjoyed this franchise. I was unaware of the prices until I saw your post. This is beyond ridiculous!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2009, 5:28:15 PM PDT
Are you seriously trying to make the case that games should be worth $5? In case you weren't aware, it costs at least a million dollars to make a game. The cost of the game has little to do with the disc.

And as far as I know, playing the Sims 3 and wanting the items doesn't put an addictive substance into your body and as far as I know, the game also doesn't create a mental dependency.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 22, 2009, 6:21:06 PM PDT
J. Clyde says:
No and neither has anybody else. So what are you talking about? I hate it when people jump in a thread and don't read all the way through missing some well made points along the way. It's very irritating, not just for me but for others. Honestly. Don't just read one paragraph and then jump into the middle of a discussion and expect to be up to date on current events.

But since you insist, as for the Sims addiction, yes game addictions do exist for many people be it the Sims or WOW, or even solitaire. I've met a few but that's neither here or there and has not one thing at all to do with this. Neither does your $5 dollar comment. Neither does your million dollar comment, and nobody said one thing about only paying $5 for anything.

But if you go back up a few paragraphs to my second reply in response to Jennifer and try reading it, I think I explain thoroughly what I'm driving at, an explanation that apparently you totally missed somehow. Otherwise go back to your Sims 3 blog or report back to John Riccitiello that you failed.

Posted on Oct 24, 2009, 1:11:13 PM PDT
Cory says:
What I am saying is that the cost to manafacture the game is like five bucks. Now, taking into effect the fact that the game francshise sold hundreds of millions, it is a matter that the cost of development is pretty much diddlysquat compaired to the return.

I can see the point that the store is overpriced, but heck, so is everything. You can go to mcdonalds and pay 5 bucks for a meal that only has like 1.50 worth of food in it. That is how the world works. you market something at price you can max your profit at, and still expect people to buy.

People are buying stuff from the sims store, so clearly, it is working for EA. But to get all bent out of shape about that as if it really has some detrimental effect on your life that EA is a coorporation who is out to earn a profit really is the root of the problem.

Personally, I think the prices are too high, expecially for a game that doesnt even need a store to turn huge profits. But if people want to buy items from the store, how is it your problem? It almost seems like you guys just like having your underpants tied in a knot about something so you can pick at it like a scab and complain constantly about something that is immateral and has preatty much no effect on your ability to continue breathing and sustaining life...

*goes to google John Riccitello to find how who the hell he is and why the hell random people on the internet are bringing him up as if that counts as a valid point of debate or discussion*

Posted on Oct 24, 2009, 3:12:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 24, 2009, 3:14:57 PM PDT
J. Clyde says:
Oh so now it's hamburgers vs. games. Don't introduce straw man arguments. And you still haven't read through the thread, and you remain a completely unaware about EA as evidenced by the fact that you have to look up John Ricctiello. Boy, I hate to cut and paste again to make a point but since you want to completely ignore the statements made above but maybe I have to do so.

For EA and Riccitiello it has become all about the 3 store and gimmicks and everything else has become secondary or even worse. Now how many ways can one say it since you missed it completely above. game play, quality control, and even more importantly customers and customer service have taken a back seat and continue to do so. Geez, try visiting the official forums and you'll get an earful from the few people left there that even care anymore, and those that try to get you to look at it throguh rose color glasses are Sim bloggers and Sim website owners.

Quality control: The fact that you and others who rushed a review out the first day of release means you missed the boat on the fact that the story progression didn't even work properly. This was a major advertised feature of the game if not THE major feature and supposedly one of the so called "advancements". How can you put a game on the market and miss that? Go back and read the interviews leading up to the release. In most of them, it's as much about the store as it is the game itself.

They missed it because instead of concentrating on the game quality, they were and still are focused more on the crummy store. And that was just the tip of the ice berg. And explain this, why and how can an independent computer hacker fix this major problem in a few short days and EA couldn't fix it in the entire game development before release? It's called priorities.

The store is a priority, nothing else is and as they are already showing, World Adventures is just another way to get people into the store as evidenced by the most recent emal which featured one already old World Adventures video but was 90 per cent filled with stuff about the store.

A lot of games are released with a few glitches, but EA has taken it to a whole new level. They've managed to make it an art form as evidenced by this laundry list you can scroll through: http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22553&p_created=1245953243&p_sid=o3UBVeLj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD

And still, some things were fixed, and some things were broken further. And so it goes. Even now the priority is the store and screw everything else in the process. Remember the Sims VIP mail EA wants you to sign up for? With World Adventures less than a month away do you get an email extolling the virtues of the new expansion pack? Nope. It does mention it in a rehashed video that has already been up and available for quite some time. The rest of the email is just more advertising of the store as witnessed here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dbCLlzpxqxxH5EaFlKzzxw?authkey=Gv1sRgCIecnNiLk4THdA&feat=directlink

Are you starting to get the picture now? Honestly, don't give me nonsense about the price of McDonald's hamburgers. Try seeing the forest despite all the trees obstructing your view. Yes, they can have their store made up of nothing more than redone, overdone and overpriced meshes. But in the end, their Greed and Overkill will do the franchise in. And when they fill the store up with more crap on World Adventures release day instead of putting it in the game as they did with the original release, then maybe you'll get it.

Posted on Oct 27, 2009, 2:16:45 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Nov 19, 2009, 3:01:05 PM PST]

Posted on Oct 27, 2009, 2:16:57 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 27, 2009, 2:17:54 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 27, 2009, 9:56:29 PM PDT
unknown says:
Capitalism at it's finest. Nothing wrong with making money. Only thing I would buy if they offered would be a spiral staircase. I am a hardcore sims player. I always make my own items/clothing or I get from third party like 7 Deadly Sims.

You need to relax a bit about EAs "greed". You sound like that guy from Rage Against The Machine. He rants about how Americans are nothing but capitalist pigs that are greedy, odd how he has no problem when the royalty checks come in from his album sales and merchandise sales. Live and let live. Just my opinion.

Posted on Oct 28, 2009, 11:54:40 AM PDT
Cory says:
A. R. Brooks ... Dramaqueen much?

Did the sims 2 store negatively effect the sims 3 sales? EA is not the first gaming company to offer downloadable upgrades and additions to their games in a online marketplace style setting.

Given the huge sucess of thesims3 so far, it is fairly innacurate to claim that the sms 3 store is going to kill the franchise. Lesser franchises and games have used this model, and are still running fine.

Do you know what the word "optional" means?

The sims2 store and the sims3 store are ~!OPTIONAL!~. You can play the game without anything in the store. The store is to provide people with more objects if they want them. You are not required to buy any if you choose not to.

How will the existance of a purely ~!OPTIONAL!~ sims3 store keep people who choose not to buy from said store from playing the game? They are afterall objects that are completely and totally ~!OPTIONAL!~.

Most sims3 players probably have only used the ten bucks that came with the game*if they have used it at all of course*, and have not spent a single dime in the store. Your dramaqueen claim is that the store is destroying the franchise, but you dont justify why that is so.... and while you spout off and abuse anyone who doesnt share you whackjob, conspiratorial view of the world, the sims franchise continues not only to keep moving ahead, but continues to grow it's user base and bring more players into it's fan community. the existance of sims stores has not hurt the game one bit. People are still playing, and those who choose to use the sims 2 and sims 3 stores do so of their own free will.

So... you can bellyache all you want, but your not getting anywhere because you actually clearly know nothing about what your screaming your head off about.

The real world cost of playing the sims 3 is buying the game. If you choose to buy extra item sets, then sure, itwill be a bit more, but you are the one who choose to buy them.

Let people buy what they want.

Posted on Oct 28, 2009, 10:15:00 PM PDT
Spork says:
I do hate micro-transactions, I have been saying this for many years now, that is why I usually don't support them with my money. So, I wonder how much the total cost will be once all expansions and items on the store are released? I'm guessing easily over $1000. I mean, even $300 is outrageous for what you get, it's not worth it. A lot of PC developers offer free content, like what's on the Store, and have expansions cost money. EA obviously isn't one of those developers/publishers.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009, 8:57:54 AM PDT
E. DeJan says:
I agree that the whole store concept is way beyond crass. Thanks goodness for free custom content in the community. I've played Sims since the beginning and always loved the game, but what bothers me about Sims 3 more than the whole store concept is that the gameplay has been reduced and "dumbed down," as well as borked beyond belief, and the game is now actually very boring. I NEVER got bored with the Sims and Sims 2, but I've only played Sims 3 for a few months and I've lost all interest in it. Sad to say.

Posted on Oct 29, 2009, 12:20:25 PM PDT
Cory says:
thats how lot of people felt about the sims 2 when it came out. with 7-8 expansions, we get spoiled. Then, the new version comes out, and we are back to basics, even though the base game for thesims3 had more gameplay than thesims2 basegame, which had more than the sims base game did.

I actually prefer the gameplay style of thesims3 over its predecessors. I like the moodlets, which coupled with actual variable personalities, adds more depth and opertunity... but it only mildly makes up for once again being back to basic after all the sims2 expansions.

Posted on Nov 1, 2009, 10:14:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2009, 10:29:18 AM PST
Mittie Vine says:
A.R. Brooks - What are you trying to prove? The only thing EA is guilty of is being a business. Let me explain...

Let's say I go to my local Macy's and spot a lovely mannequin attired in a lush cream blazer, pinstripe slacks, patent ivory pumps and a strand of Jackie O pearls. The outfit totals $500, but I've only got a couple of tenners in my pocket. So I plunk down the cash for the pumps and leave the store. According to your logic, I would head home fully expecting to find that the sales clerk had given me the blazer, slacks and pearls, free of charge, just because they "go" with the shoes and are issued by the same clothing brand. In fact, according to your logic, I would be outraged to get home, open up my shopping bag, and find only the pumps inside.

Macy's and the clothing brand are in the same boat as EA in this scenario: they offered me a quality product (shoes, The Sims 3 base game*), and they advertised a way that I could make it better, should I wish to (the coordinating articles of clothing, the EA store). In both scenarios the base product (shoes, game*) is satisfactory on it's own, and in both instances the improvements (coordinating pieces, EA store items) aren't at all necessary.

Macy's and EA are just doing business; they are giving us options to improve what is already a solid product. Nobody dragged me through Macy's, gun held to my head, and told me I had to buy some overpriced slacks to compliment my new shoes. And nobody is sitting over my shoulder now, forcing me to spend money in the EA store on silly furniture sets that I don't need.

Businesses like EA or Macy's operate by appealing to desire. If someone desires a $20 furniture set for their video game, than it's their prerogative to buy it... just like someone that desires a $300 plastic Louis Vuitton bangle bracelet. Do companies overcharge? Of course. But there are two components in the transaction: the company and the consumer. And if the consumer, by their own free will, determines that a purchase is worth whatever excessive fee a company charges, than so be it.

To argue that EA shouldn't offer the products in their store just because they are expensive is absurd. As I said, the only thing they are guilty of is being a business; despite their exorbitant prices, I can't fault them for being a business.

*While some apparently experienced glitches / difficulties with the game, I have yet to experience any. I am currently running without any patches, mods or CC and I couldn't be happier with the game performance. That said, I am well aware that there are fellow gamers that experienced detrimental glitches, and to you I send my sympathy. While I understand the exasperation those of you experiencing unsatisfactory game play may feel, I don't think the EA store is the proper target for your frustration. I received what I consider to be a quality product, so I will continue to regard it as such.

Posted on Nov 1, 2009, 11:05:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2009, 4:30:27 PM PST
J. Clyde says:
Let me explain again, for the EA shills, and fan boys, who keep skipping over the major points because it suits them to do so. You know, does anybody here ever read through a thread or are our fingers itching to the point where we just want to always jump through to the end?:

For EA and Riccitiello it has become all about the 3 store and gimmicks and everything else has become secondary or even worse. Now how many ways can one say it since you missed it completely above. game play, quality control, and even more importantly customers and customer service have taken a back seat and continue to do so. Geez, try visiting the official forums and you'll get an earful from the few people left there that even care anymore, and those that try to get you to look at it throguh rose color glasses are Sim bloggers and Sim website owners.

Quality control: The fact that you and others who rushed a review out the first day of release means you missed the boat on the fact that the story progression didn't even work properly. This was a major advertised feature of the game if not THE major feature and supposedly one of the so called "advancements". How can you put a game on the market and miss that? Go back and read the interviews leading up to the release. In most of them, it's as much about the store as it is the game itself.

They missed it because instead of concentrating on the game quality, they were and still are focused more on the crummy store. And that was just the tip of the ice berg. And explain this, why and how can an independent computer hacker fix this major problem in a few short days and EA couldn't fix it in the entire game development before release? It's called priorities.

The store is a priority, nothing else is and as they are already showing, World Adventures is just another way to get people into the store as evidenced by the most recent emal which featured one already old World Adventures video but was 90 per cent filled with stuff about the store.

A lot of games are released with a few glitches, but EA has taken it to a whole new level. They've managed to make it an art form as evidenced by this laundry list you can scroll through: http://easims.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/easims.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=22553&p_created=1245953243&p_sid=o3UBVeLj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPSZwX3NvcnRfYnk9JnBfZ3JpZHNvcnQ9JnBfcm93X2NudD

And still, some things were fixed, and some things were broken further. And so it goes. Even now the priority is the store and screw everything else in the process. Remember the Sims VIP mail EA wants you to sign up for? With World Adventures less than a month away do you get an email extolling the virtues of the new expansion pack? Nope. It does mention it in a rehashed video that has already been up and available for quite some time. The rest of the email is just more advertising of the store as witnessed here: http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/dbCLlzpxqxxH5EaFlKzzxw?authkey=Gv1sRgCIecnNiLk4THdA&feat=directlink

Now if you can't read or don't get it you never will then you can wear your lousy consumerism awards for for the rest of your life for all I care. Many people get it, many who have played this series for many years and are not blinded sims fanatical fanboys and fangirls.

Its as simple as that, no matter how many shills EA sends around from Sims blogs and web sites just before game release to continue to do their dirty work and post their propaganda for them. Especially those who amazingly have never had the urge to write about anything else much until now.

In the end it won't matter. There are a great number of people who played this game because having it and all things that came with it were an affordable proposition before EA decided to start pricing Sims stuff out of their reach with their ridiculous overpriced game decorations and an equally ridiculous price increase for this expansion pack. All EA is doing with the store is ticking off a great deal of their customers who can no longer do so, and feel they are being left out. I've read enough in this regard from real customers in the months since the game has been release to know this. In the short term, yeah they'll make money on the store. In the long term more and more people will see it as I do: It is no longer about the game, the quality, or the customers. It's about how much tie in merchandising can we do. And no matter how many gazillions they give to the likes of LeAnn Rimes or Nelly Furtado to sing, it won't make a world of difference. It'll become the equivalent of trying to sell a T-shirt an empty concert.

And for those who think or are desperately trying to insinuate that I'm alone in this, or that I'm the only one who feels this way and continually jump my case about it with derogatory name calling, try again. I am one of very very many who have been playing the Sims for years that feel the same way. Try reading through this link though....if you can do it without skipping to the end which seems doubtful since my major points about the store are never really addressed and raises isssues that are continually skirted around. Oh, and there used to be similar thread just like it with just as many responses, but it was deleted by EA. But you'll ignore that as well, I'm sure.

http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/32472.page

Posted on Nov 1, 2009, 7:02:16 PM PST
Cory says:
but What you are ignoring A. R. Brooks (or else, are woefully ignorant of, which is just as valid of a way of looking at your rants), is that thesims3 store is not mandatory in any way. It is purely optional, and you can choose to ignore its existance completely. You are acting like the game cant be played without content from thesims3 store.

I am not a EA fanboy. Infact, the only EA games I play are The sims Franchises. I play them because I enjoy them. Yes, I did use thesims3 store. I ha 30 bucks in points given to me *ten from the base game, and twenty as a gift from a friend*, plus I added a bit more to get enough to get another set. That was my right, and my decision. There is nothing wrong with someone chooses to do that.

What is wrong is you coming in, and boohooing and abusing people for having brains capable of making decisions for themselves. I disagree with people who have a obsession with and acting upon a compulsive need to buy a brand new car every year, but am I going to abuse them for it? if they want to spend their money doing that, so be it, because it is their right to do so. My car gets me where I need to go with no problems, and so I choose not to buy new, because mine is working fine. So, should I be whining that other people will buy a brand new car when they have on that works perfectly fine? No, because it is a waste of my time.

Let people buy what they want.

You are more than welcome to come on, and spew crap about how you think it is wrong for EA to be acting like a buisness all you want. But if you want people to be on your side, why dont you tone down the nine year old (MINE MINE MINE I AM ALWAYS RIGHT CAUSE THATS WHAT MY MOMMY TELLS ME) mentality a bit.

Your rants though are mildly entertaining.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  31
Total posts:  57
Initial post:  Oct 11, 2009
Latest post:  Jul 28, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

This discussion is about
The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack
The Sims 3: World Adventures Expansion Pack by Electronic Arts (Mac OS X, Windows Vista / XP)
3.8 out of 5 stars (261)