Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch New Album by Prophets of Rage PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Shop Now FFII_gno

• [Rec]
  • Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 258 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 340 reviews
on October 12, 2016
I don't know why but foreign horror films have beautifully more layers than American ones- our horror films are so tied to specific tropes that even well-acted and well-directed ones seen pretty shallow on the surface. This is a fast-paced European horror film of quality; Manuela Velasco is captivating as the female lead, playing a host of a local TV reality, human interest late night show called While You Are Asleep. On this episode, she and her cameraman are doing a ride-along with a night shift firefighting crew, that is if they even get a call. They do and soon find themselves in a situation they can't cope with. I normally am not a fan of shaky camera footage- as almost everyone who has made found footage films post-the original Blair Witch have ruined the concept and run it into the ground- but [Rec] ties the reason for it into the plot seemlessly. Now. I'm not endorsing the sequels as I've not seen them yet, but if the same people are at the reins I'll take a chance on those, too. Foreign cinema continues to make American movies seem like unoriginal high school productions.
on June 19, 2017
I was confused why this movie only has 3 stars until I noticed that all the 1 star complaints are for the English dubbed version. I was watched the streaming version June 2017, and it was not the dubbed version. I don't know if Amazon can "fix" all these reviews or not, but all the bad reviews are for a product that no longer exists.

This is an great Spanish-made horror film. The only caveats would be it is subtitled now, so if you're not into subtitles then you won't like this one. Also, it's mostly shot POV, so if you don't like found footage films then this might not be your cup of tea either. I don't care about those things, so I thought this was great. It's about a bunch of people who are trapped in an apartment building where the people inside are one by one turning into zombies. It starts off a little slow, but once it heats up it's worth the wait. For academics, lots of uncanny moments, plenty of Kristevian abjection, no final girl.
review image review image review image
33 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 23, 2017
Probably would have been even better subtitled. Had intense and creepy moments through out the whole film. Kept its pace from beginning to end. 9/10 would recommend.
on December 31, 2016
Well made fright fun. The shaky cam work is used artfully and not overdone.
on May 18, 2017
I would have loved this one if I hadn't already seen QUARANTINE. This is exactly the same movie, set in Spain, with a few minor casting changes. If you loved QUARANTINE but would have preferred it in Spanish with English subtitles, this is what you have been waiting for.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 9, 2017
Very best of the zombie flicks. An attractive premise and scary as hell.
on June 2, 2017
Great movie. Kinda lackluster ending but good thing there's a sequel.
on August 14, 2015
Okay, just to be clear I HATE, HATE, HATE the Amazon DUBBED Instant Watch rental. OMG, the voice acting was so bad and annoying. It didn't match the closed captioning either. It really pulled me out of the movie so it's hard for me to judge if the movie was scary or not. If I buy this on DVD, I may be able to update my review. I don't understand why Amazon wouldn't let us watch this in the original language with closed captioning. This is a fail on Amazon's part and I wish I hadn't wasted my money on this rental
TOP 500 REVIEWERon April 23, 2012
Mommy!!! Holy crap, I almost lost my sh-- several times, watching this. [REC] is unsettling stuff, and terrifying and in Spanish. It certainly thunderously redeems the sub-genre of the found footage film. When you see [REC], no need then to see its less satisfying American remake, QUARANTINE, which damningly seems to be a shot-for-shot adaptation. In that lost trove of found footage film, the [REC] franchise and, more recently, CHRONICLE, set themselves apart. I'd even add CLOVERFIELD to that short list, except I don't want my feelings hurt.

Paella, Pau Gasol, and [REC] - this is Spain hooking up the rest of the world. See, when done right, the found film footage provides chills that feel more visceral and immediate. [REC] begins in humdrum manner, with a television crew deployed to a local fire station in Barcelona to do a piece on firefighters or, as the Spanish are wont to call them, "los bomberos" (which sounds cooler). When the firefighters on shift respond to an emergency call, the television crew accompanies them to an apartment tenement in which an elderly woman is screaming non-stop. But a routine call soon spirals out of control when the health authorities arrive to seal off the building, stranding the news team, the firefighters, policemen, and the residents with an undefined menace. But I'll define it... and SPOILER it.... old Mrs. Izquierdo is a zombie.

Here's a neat thing: Director of Photography, Pablo Rosso, not only wields the point-of-view camera himself but he also played the role of the in-movie news team's cameraman "Pablo." I'll tell you what, it takes some sort of steely fiber for someone to keep hoisting that camera while spooky paranormal shizzy is going down.

The plot isn't deep. The narrative is populated by stock characters. That's okay. [REC] overcomes the shackles of its tropes by dint of its vitality and nervy execution and presentation. It's rated R for "bloody horror violence and language," but it also should've mentioned the film's knack for inducing nerve-jangling claustrophobia. The building which traps our characters probably looks welcoming and quaint by daylight, but at night and as seen thru the confines of a handheld camera, the environs transmogrify into these disquieting dark and cramped quarters. This frightener takes full advantage of its conceit, of this one camera providing the first person perspective. The most alarming concern becomes not about what's in front of us, but rather the thing that could be waiting to pounce on us just off-camera. That there's no soundtrack at all until the end credits roll bolsters that sense of jagged, stripped-down believability. The third act is relentless in its visceral scares. I had to turn the light on. Those bloodcurdling screams aren't coming from old Mrs. Izquierdo alone.

The DVD's bonus stuff:

- The REC "Making Of" featurette (00:18:29 minutes, with English sub-titles)
on August 1, 2016
The building dread and claustrophobic shots are part of what make this movie scary. The actors apparently didn't know what was going to happen, did a lot of adlibbing and often their reactions to things falling, etc are genuine. The only thing that I hated was that the entire thing is done in shaky handheld camera mode. If you get motion sickness, don't watch this movie. I watched it on my iPad in 15 minute increments because after 15 minutes, the nausea kicked in. Seriously, the camerawork is ALL OVER THE PLACE. Very few steady shots. Ugh.