Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Drop Dead on Recall (Animals in Focus Mystery Book 1)
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now

on October 8, 2012
Drop Dead on Recall is "must read" for anyone involved in the sport of dog obedience or other dog showing venues and anyone with Border Collies or Australian Shepherds (or Labs or poodles, etc,etc) Having said that, it is ALSO a book for anyone who loves a good mystery, well written and descriptive writing, as well as anyone who wants to LEARN.

This book is packed with information on all sorts of subjects, not the least of which is dog obedience, the American Kennel Club, rescue and many other dog-oriented topics! Sheila Boneham seeks to inform as well as to entertain with her easy-to-understand explanations of the in's and outs of the dog world.

In addition, she gives the reader information about plants (toxic and otherwise), photography, and does it all with exquisite descriptions of the beauty surrounding the heroine of the story, Janet MacPhail. Peppered into the story, is a fantastic
mystery, some extremely funny moments and a tender back story involving Janet's aging mother. Wrapped in there, somehow, she manages to include a "mature" woman's view on life and love and being um, well,--older.

I whizzed through this book in a couple of days, reading it every chance I had, it was THAT intriguing and fun!
I cannot wait for the next book in her mystery series!
on September 22, 2012
I bought this book on the advice of a friend and am glad I did.
It will keep you guessing all the way to the end. No sappy sentiments, and knowledge of the dog world made it a good book for dog lovers.
Enjoying this book as much as I did, I intend to buy her other books and any more that she puts out.
She rates up there with my other favorite authors, Susan Conant, Virginia Lanier,Laurien Berenson.
As with Mrs. Conant, I can't wait for the next in the series to come out.
on October 11, 2012
I am an AVID reader of Susan Conant, Laurien Berenson, etc. I have ALL of their books.
Now I am thrilled to discover another author with equal skill and knowledge.
I did want this book for content, though my friend's Border Collie on the cover was incentive, too.

I cannot find words for how happy I was reading this story and being introduced to such wonderful characters. I an SO looking forward to the next one!

Especially if you are involved in the "dog world", you will not regret buying this book. Even if you just like dogs and a good mystery, this is one for you. Don't miss out.

BTW, I am in NO WAY associated with the author or publisher. I am really VERY happy to have a new series to look forward to. I hope it is a long one!
on September 19, 2012
I wondered about the title for this blog entry when I first began this post, but I could not think of a better way to describe Sheila Webster Boneham's mystery other than delightful. I picked up this novel knowing that I was biased in her favor. Sheila is one of my writing friends, so it was a marvelous thing to pick up her first novel and find myself forgetting about my good friend Sheila as I became immersed in the mystery.

As I watched the mystery unfold one clue, one death at a time, I found myself truly transported by the wry humor of the protagonist, Janet McPhail. No amateur sleuth, she is surrounded by death for the first time in her life and seeks answers for herself and her friends. She is drawn into the mystery much the same way the reader is, one step at a time. In the end, she is forced to solve the mystery to save her own life.

As interesting as the mystery was, and I did have trouble putting down the book to go on with my own work, I was most drawn to Janet and her relationship with her furry family, orange tabby cat Leo and Australian Shepherd Jay. As the murders take place among dog lovers, there are many animals in the book. Every animal is as well drawn in personality as the humans around them. I know very little of dog breeding and training, and I felt as if I entered another world entirely, one with its own set of rules and assumptions that was fascinating to step into.

This is a well written mystery which builds suspense from the first page. We watch as one human after another falls to a killer within the community, and the sense of betrayal grows with each death. These people know each other, and I cared about them as I watched them die.

Friend though I am, I highly recommend this novel. Whether you are an animal lover or a mystery lover, or if you just love a good story, pick up this novel. You won't be sorry.
on July 16, 2013
A perfect mix of dogs and mystery with a touch of romance. Believable characters, both people and dogs. The feisty cat was a plus as was the dog photographer as the Janet's profession.
A debut novel that puts this non-fiction dog author in the ranks with the best. High Score!
on March 12, 2013
I was hooked when Amazon sent a picture of the cover and information to buy this book.The great title was an added incentive. I am a dog show exhibitor of about 60 years and every part of this story was right on. I exhibited in both breed and obedience, plus I like mystery stories best of all. I am slow on a review as I left the unopened book next to my reading chair, great cover side up. I told myself that if I completed a number of tasks that needed doing.......then I could start reading the book. It worked, but took days and some physical effort but they got done.
Then I started reading and it was everything I hoped for and better. The authoress is a very knowledgeable person in the field of botany which added to the quality of the book. The book was so engrossing, several times I woke up in the wee hours and read some more. Of course it was lying right on the bed, eye glasses handy and a good light to turn on. All parts referring to dogs, training, genetic testing and so on were perfect. Read it and enjoy!!
on March 5, 2013
If you love dogs, love mysteries, or even just love a funny, lighthearted read, this book is for you. Ms Boneham's work reminds me a lot of Susan Conant's early work. A light-hearted, easy read filled with amusing characters and lots of true-to-life info form the dog show world. Highly recommended!
on February 26, 2013
I was delighted to find that Sheila Boneham has begun to share her talents in fiction. I have bought many of her books on dog care and rescue and have appreciated her for years. I was not disappointed! I read nearly all the dog mysteries and the one thing I find annoying is that the 'dog people' in the book are often, to at least some degree, condescending know-it-alls who don't seem to really like people. Sometimes it's more obvious than others, but there's just a degree of 'I know more than you do, you poor sod.' Perhaps it's the author's voice trying to educate the reader, but it comes off as a superior attitude. I say this as a 'dog person' myself with full awareness that many of us are indeed condescending when it comes to dogs, but using that personality trait for the protagonist is off-putting, at least to me. I saw none of that in Ms. Boneham's book. Janet even states near the beginning that she attends dog shows to have fun with her dog. She's not one of the super-competitive types whose dogs seem to be so much sporting equipment. She's....well, a normal person with a loving relationship with her dog, she seems to like likable people, she likes men--has her baggage, but deals with it. The plot is good with some of those high-drive dog folks as characters. It would not have been realistic without them--I just don't like that type as the main voice.
Good twist at the end, though the cat had given it away earlier in the book! Looking forward to the next book!

At any rate, Ms. Boneham's is a very welcome addition to the growing ranks of dog fiction writers, one who will, I hope, let the public know that we are not all crazy...okay, a little crazy, but not obnoxious about it.
on March 5, 2013
I loved this book so much that I looked for more by this author. I think this is her first mystery, as all I found were dog breed books, This was certainly a great one if it is her first, and I hope she will continue with it or make it into a series. I could identify with the obedience scene and love cozy mysteries that feature dogs. What caught my attention was the Border Collie on the cover, and the book lived up to its potential in every way.
on October 4, 2014
Delightful cozy mystery! I recommended it to lovers of mysteries and dog lovers. I really had no idea who the murderer was, but when I thought back, I realized that Boneham had done a great job of giving me a chance to figure it out without making it too obvious over the other suspects.

I will be reading other books by Sheila Webster Boneham!