Recalling a Buddha: Memories of the Sixteenth Karmapa
|Additional DVD options||Edition||Discs||
|New from||Used from|
(Oct 19, 2009)
Customers who bought this item also bought
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
The life story of the Sixteenth Karmapa is told by those close to him in Tibet, the generation of teachers that he trained and many others that he touched. This feature-length film looks closely at enlightened qualities and examines them in the context of historical events such as the fall of Tibet and Tibetan Buddhism's migration to the West.
How Karmapa lived and how he died gives us the example of an awakened being: a person with a noble heart.
The DVD includes two hours of Extras material:
1. Interview with a Buddha: Karmapa XVI, Jamgon Kongtrul and Karmapa's retunie appeared on a half hour talk show. The entire program is the extra.
2. The Ceremony of the Vajra Crown: In 1980, a director who would later be nominated for an Oscar filmed the Black Crown ceremony in beautiful 16mm color.
3. The Line of Karmapas: Thrangu Rinpoche, senior teacher of the Karma Kagyu lineage, eminent scholar Gene Smith, and Beru Khyentse Rinpoche share thoughts on the previous 15 incarnations of Karmapas.
4. Preserving the Dharma Texts: H.E. Shamar Rinpoche and Gene Smith recount the partnership between the Sixteenth Karmapa and the U.S. Library of Congress to reprint sacred texts brought out of Tibet and made available to the newly forming monasteries in Asia.
5. Rumtek: various "alumni" of Rumtek monastery, seat of the Karmapas share memories of living in a high concentration of realized masters.
6. Connecting to Karmapa: Westerners who entered the mandala of the Karmapa share how they came to relate to the Sixteenth Karmapa.
About the Director
Recalling a Buddha: Memories of HH Karmapa XVI is Gregg Eller's first film. He is the producer of Pema Chodron's teaching website and received an undergraduate degree in rhetoric from the University of California at Berkeley.
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
My only small complaint was not with the film nor the filmmaker but the copy I received, which I believe was a copy of a copy--- a bootleg in my estimation. It omitted the "extra footage" which was the reason why I purchased my copy to begin with. I didn't know it when I purchased, but found out only when I went looking for it on the DVD. I did confer with the filmmaker directly and he promised to correct the problem.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
I met him in France in 1977 and it's still one of the greatest spiritual experience of my...Read more