Industrial Deals Beauty Save up to 90% on textbooks STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $59.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 123 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 169 reviews
on March 26, 2016
When you're selling a book titled "Recipes for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet" a buyer would reasonably assume that these recipes use only ingredients allowed on the SCD. Feeling in the mood for trying a new type of bread/cracker recipe (of which I have many great ones), I flipped to the section titled "Savory Goods" first. There are 7 recipes there and 2 of them contain baking powder, an illegal ingredient on the SCD diet. This is being marketed to people who are on the SCD because they are sick. And the SCD diet is incredibly strict and requires total compliance. In my mind, that makes it unconscionable to include ingredients that shouldn't be there. Even if every single other recipe in the book meets SCD requirements, having 2 our of 7 savory goods recipes makes this cookbook a fail.
on March 2, 2014
The recipes in this book are so good that my non gluten intolerant guests rave about the food. You don't feel deprived, eating horrible wheat replacement foods. Contrary to a comment from someone who didn't buy the book, the recipes don't use expensive ingredients and moderately simple. Contrary to another's comment regarding sweeteners, the book forbids articartificial sweeteners. It is full of recipes that use honey. This is well explained in the book. My severe tummy trouble has been resolved as long as I stay on this diet. I recommend this cookbook even to people without tummy troubles.
on April 26, 2012
I am a coeliac, and my husband is a diabetic with alot of digestive issues. I have researched Elaine Gottschall's work and am keen to get started with the SCD for both of us.
This recipe book is just a delight, it is well set out, has amazing recipes that taste just divine, and they are culturally diverse so you can vary your daily meals with no problem. I am also dairy intolerant though, so that is going to be a challenge as alot of the recipes use dairy. I can use yoghurt occasionally, but I have to limit my intake of it.
My husband was a bit hesitant when I explained to him that he would need to follow the SCD for a minimum of 12 months, but after I showed him this recipe book (he loves to cook) and has tasted some of the recipes, he is more than happy to start this journey with me.
I recommend this highly to everyone. It is not just a recipe book for SCD, it is a recipe book for life!!!
on May 21, 2017
Great book for anyone with a diagnosis of UC or other intestinal ailment. The introduction has very good information relating to the rationale behind the SCD. The recipes are very good and easy to make, just what you'll need when you first start the SCD.
on January 9, 2014
Fantastic book. I have been either adapting recipes for SCD or finding ones on blogs/sites. This book however is chock full of information regarding the basics of the SCD and shows you how to make things such as SCD compliant Balsamic Vinegrette, Fish Sauce and spice mixes. All the recipes I have tried so far are delicious and flavorful. My favorite is the Cameroonian Peanut Fish...sooooo good! I believe Mr. Prasad has another recipe book which I will be purchasing in the future.
on May 5, 2012
The introduction is very good. It states in simple terms what the SCD diet it. I have some issues with some of the recipes.

I actually like Elaines recipes the best from her book. (Breaking the viscious cycle)
I bought this book because of all the good reviews. Many dishes are just not my taste. Also, the pages do not wipe clean if you get food on them. No disrespect to the author. I applaud him for carrying the torch for the cause. But other than a few good uses of almond flour, most of the meat dishes in this book-- I can find anywhere. My challenge has been finding good "bread" recipes. I have gotten some great recipes for free off the internet doing searches for "SCD diet recipes"... many have great blogs where they post recipes. I make a great sandwich bun from one I got there.

Recipes from this book--Made the orange jello and it did not jell. Used organic oranges and fruit so it was an expensive failure. Made the eggplant parm last night and frying 4 eggplant in olive oil used almost 3 cups of olive oil. Would not in the past use olive oil to fry like this..came out an oily mess. Did not like the breakfast burrito-texture of the "burrito". The "spiced herbed cheese crackers" were oily, and the grease ran off my baking pan in the oven. How many people have fresh sage, black mustard seeds, cardoman powder, allspice berries, saffron threads,and mint at their disposal?
You need an herb garden to make many dishes. I do like some recipes, (the green peas soup and the spinach soup, asparagus soup, and some of the chicken dishes like the Thai green curry ) but you can find recipes similar to them in any cookbook using non-dairy-non grain ingredients.

**** If you use this books' recommendations on how to make SCD yogurt,and you have the eurocuisine yogurt maker (with 7 glass jars), follow the yogurtmakers directions. The author of the book uses the Yogourmet yogurt starter, but you will only have to use one packet. If you use the book as a guide, you will think (as I did) that you have to use more than one packet (1 1/3) which would require you to use a small amount of a 2nd packet.(he states you need 2 packets (10 gms) of starter for 2 gal. (64 oz.) milk, leading one to believe you would need over one packet for 42 oz (jars with yogurt maker), which isn't the case. One packet (5 gms) is enough.

I will share one of my own recipes I developed for SCD Banana waffles.
No one will know they are grain free!
1 c. almond flour, 2 eggs, 1 very ripe banana,1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp baking soda,1tsp vanilla,2 TB honey, 1/4 tsp cinnamon. blend in blender eggs, banana, vanilla and honey (I use my ninja), remove from blender(ninja) and add rest of ingredients and mix well. Use waffle maker greased with butter/coconut oil to prevent sticking. Top with SCD homemade yogurt and berries, or warmed honey.
44 comments| 16 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2011
I never considered myself a good cook...but now I have to be, on the Specific Carb Diet, or
I will be so limited in food choices.
I love this book!
The recipes are simple and even I can't mess them up. I substitute beans for some of the flour, like in
the foccacia recipe~~and it tastes so good, I can't believe it.
I'm famous for substituting ingredients to make them lower in fat, and I still haven't hurt any results,
with these recipes.
The "scottish shortbread" is unbelievably delicious. I shared some of it as a gf (gluten free)
communion wafer at my church~~for an alternative for those of us who are gf to be
able to join in communion.
I can't imagine anyone not liking this book...even if you're already a seasoned chef.
I'm grateful for it.
Many thanks and blessings to Raman Prasad!
on June 23, 2013
Oops, learned my lesson! SCD diets that mention "lactose free" do not necessarily mean, "dairy free". While I have been living dairy free for longer than I care to admit, it is still a challenge to substitute all of the delicious dairy products in this book. The few recipes that are compatible to our dietary woes have been delicous and well worth the time chasing a new recipe. Perhaps when I am feeling better I'll be up to tackling the substitutions. In the meantime, I learned that SCD and gluten/dairy free are not exactly compatible.
on February 22, 2014
I bought this in ebook format looking for Thanksgiving and Christmas recipes. I was a little disappointed with the selections, but the pictures of the recipes were lovely to look at. It did give me some ideas, but as a newbie to SCD I found it lacking. I would recommend this to someone who has already done a lot of research on the SCD diet, and for someone who is looking for less traditional meal choices.
on November 13, 2015
Great introduction which explains how IBS is created due to poor nutriton.