Salon Beauty Summer Reading Introducing Prime Wardrobe nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc The Carters PCB for select Bang & Olufsen Fire TV Grocery Handmade Personalized Jewelry Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon TheGrandTour TheGrandTour TheGrandTour  Echo Fire tablets: Designed for entertainment Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now STL18_GNO

Reckoning
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:$8.48+ $3.99 shipping

on July 15, 2001
It's not often that I award an album five stars, but this album deserves it. A quintesential college-rock masterpiece. REM at their best (although I would still put the shimmering 'Murmmer' above this).
How 'Automatic For the People' has come to be accepted as this band's masterpiece I'll never know. Tracks like the whiney 'Man on the Moon' could never have the appeal of the ghostly yet beautiful 'Camera' (a song devoted to an early REM friend who was killed in a car wreck), or the jangly 'Don't Go Back to Rockville'.
In the early 80's every band wanted to sound like REM and every college kid wanted to be in REM. This album is why.
3 people found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
Not quite as good as their debut album, "Murmur," but then again that's one of the best rock albums of all time. "Reckoning" is an excellent album in its own right and features another batch of great songs. "7 Chinese Brothers" is one of the best songs they've ever done, and "So. Central Rain," "Camera" and the pleading "Don't Go Back to Rockville," are all not far behind. Michael Stipe is still slurring the vocals, and that's a good thing. Early R.E.M. is so much better than what followed in the 1990s. Listen for yourself and see.
4 people found this helpful
on March 10, 2000
Reckoning is a classic;Why? There are no bad songs on this album, and especially tracks 3, 4, 5 are unbeleivable. I have all 11 R.E.M. albums and this is how I would rank them from best to worst 1. Automatic for the People 2. Murmur 3. Reckoning 4. Document 5. Out of Time 6. New Adventures in Hi Fi 7. Life's Rich paegant 8. Up 9. Fables of the Reconstruction 10. Green 11. Monster
2 people found this helpful
on November 19, 2006
I seldom go on the record for ANYTHING. But the song, "Time After Time" really did change my appreciation for music. I can't say "for life" because I didn't change that much. I had smoked some world-class pot, I had listened to "Time After Time", and I had UNDERSTOOD. The richness of Michael Stipe's voice and the melody really did hit home with me. It ranks as one of the top musical experiences of my life (Sonny and Cher on "Letterman" and REM on "Letterman" also qualify, so be warned...) and, dare I say it, it is THE most musically transportative moment of my life. Timing is everything and the song and my mindset were "just so" (thank you, Rudyard Kipling) on that fateful day (eh, Pincus, poor little ERIC Pincus) so that it resonated with me-and still does to this day. It moved me then, it moves me now, and it will move me til the day I die.
9 people found this helpful
|1414 comments|Report abuse
on June 17, 1998
Though largely forgotten -- or completely unknown by R.E.M.'s recent fans -- "Reckoning" stands out as a masterpiece. These songs are pure, powerful and layered with emotions. Is there a more sorrowful song than "So. Central Rain" anywhere in the modern musical lexicon? And "(Don't Go back To) Rockville" is a primer in straight-forward songwriting. No CD library should be without this one.
One person found this helpful
|0Comment|Report abuse
It is the only rem's album that really has a heart and soul. and pain. as camera slowly weeps, i can sense this layer of feelings under it. it is perfect to listen reckoning with no light, heavy depression and gentle snowflakes outside your window. and you can feel death is near. drink this like a good wine. and you can dance slowly to the far unknown land. goodbye.
8 people found this helpful
on November 13, 2003
REM doesn't disappoint in this 1984 album. Stipe's mysterious vocals accompanied by their signature jangly sound (comparible to the byrds) makes for a great record. The definite highlight being So. Central Rain. no rock collection is complete without this album. 5 stars and then some.
on October 30, 2005
I love so. central rain I think its my fav from them at least today it is. This is one of the greatest albums from the greatest groups of all time. The new rem is good. If you're just getting into rem buy this and fables of the reconstruction its there best.
on August 20, 2004
I too wore this one out in the early 80s, though on vinyl. Harborcoat is perfect, but 7 Chinese Brothers is the one I still have on my mp3 player. I have no idea what it means, but it's simply beautiful. I very rarely listen to whole albums anymore, but I do listen to Reckoning straight through.
One person found this helpful