Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Recognizing and Rewarding Employees Paperback – July 19, 2000
|New from||Used from|
The Amazon Book Review
Author interviews, book reviews, editors picks, and more. Read it now
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
From the Inside Flap
In the midst of a new global wilderness are pioneers, common and uncommon travelers, managers, stewards, free agents, virtual workforcesall converging on some new promised land. If you plan to venture out and better yet survive, youll need to know how to prepare yourself, what essential tools to take, what travel techniques and strategies to apply, and ultimately what customs, language, and currency will enable you to be conversant with the many people of varied interests and abilities youll meet and manage along the way.
This is a book about a new frontierthe new workplace. Its a book about the needs and interests of the new workforce epitomized by the free agent/employee and the tools of recognition and rewards. Youll learn about:
* The New Workplace - its free agent/employees their values, interests, and goals;
* Work how to make it personally meaningful and more strategically aligned;
* Motivation its source and what drives it;
* Collaboration its importance, along with what promotes and hinders it;
* Recognition its many forms and its powerful and empowering energy;
* Rewards whats hot, whats not, and the difference between those that are intrinsic and extrinsic; and,
* Stewardship how it differs from leadership and why it is so important in the new workplace.
This is a book about people at workand, specifically, about recognition and rewards. It may surprise you. It may excite you. We hope it will inspire you. The insights we lend and the conclusions reached are intended to convey a message namely, that travel into the new wilderness is not for the casual traveler or half-a-measure managers. Success will be predicated upon a deeper understanding and mastery of the subjects of motivation, recognition, and rewards.
The subject of recognition and rewards is complex. Rewards have the power to punish as well as compensate. As a manager in the new workplace, youll need to know how rewards work. We want you, our reader, to understand:
* The difference between rewarding and manipulating;
* The human nature of work and the relationship that exists between work and its performer/creators;
* The rewards of leadership and the illusory nature of power;
* How cultures shape desired outcomes and foster productivity and collaboration;
* Why recognition is a whole person experience;
* What reward systems move people and organizations closer to their goals; and
* How to foster responsibility and accountability naturally.
The idea behind the books in the Briefcase Series is to give you practical information written in a friendly person-to-person style. The chapters are short, deal with tactical issues, and include lots of examples. They also feature numerous boxes designed to give you different types of specific information.
From the Back Cover
As qualified employees become increasingly scarce, successful managers must develop a deeper understanding of human motivation, recognition, and reward systems. Recognizing and Rewarding Employees is the first book to provide employers with a comprehensive understanding of up-to-the-minute motivational findings, combined with hundreds of hands-on applications.
Look to this powerful book for tips and guidelines on:
- Alternative pay and benefit programs
- Establishing a constructive culture
- Embracing diversity
- Building self-esteem
- Sharing power
- Unlocking innovation
- Career banding
- Performance planning and reviewing
- Rites of recognition
- Aligning strategy and rewards
- Collaboration versus competition
- Integrative management
- And more
In today's technology-based, worker-friendly environment, virtually every aspect of business, including management and supervision, has become more complex. Let Recognizing and Rewarding Employees show you how to use these complexities to your advantage and to employ the complementary tools of recognition and reward to create a more energized, empowered employeeand a more productive workplace.
Top Customer Reviews
My suggestion is using Mr. Brayton's Recognizing and Rewarding Employees as your starting point. He presents you with the tools. We all need to consider our method of using the tools.
Picture the chapter headings as your core principals. Within each principal, the author lays out methods, details, actions or thoughts to support the principals. Take the chapter content to develop your leadership and managerial style. We are all individuals and as such will use different styles. However, the core principals being presented within each chapter remain constant.
I found it helpful and easy to grasp the principals through the side boxes and the manager's check boxes.
Understand the key principals, develop the tools to fit your style and you will improve your managerial results!
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Author R. Brayton Bowen takes a thoughtful approach to understanding the new generation of employees who seem to need rewards and recognition to spur their motivation. Read morePublished on August 31, 2001 by Rolf Dobelli
The notion of leading from the inside out was refreshing and relevant
in today's world where managers often believe that changing their
behavior is sufficient. Read more