Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. STEM $34.99 for a limited time only Try it first with samples Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  All-new Echo Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on December 24, 2011
When Red Dead Redemption came out I wasn't very interested, it looked like GTA in western times to me. Well that was an incredible mistake but one I am glad I made, why? Well you see, I do not have Xbox LIVE and therefore I can not get any DLC for any game I own and since the Game of the Year Edition comes with all the DLC already there it just made it that more great for me! The reason I finally bought the game was because it came with Undead Nightmare and I LOVE zombies, I could have bought the DLC alone but I decided the actual game wouldn't hurt since the DLC might be pretty short.

The Story:
The story for Red Dead Redemption blew me away John Marston (The main character) is an excellent and well made character who seems to always be in the middle of the right or wrong path. He is sent to hunt down his old gang members from when he was an outlaw in exchange for his family that the government has kidnapped. While it may sound simple at first you will soon see that it is nothing close to being easy. I expected the story to bore me, believing that the game would be more focused about sandbox environment and free roam rather than the story, boy was I wrong! This is now my favorite game, John Marston is a wonderful character that I absolutely love, I know I didn't touch much on the story but I am trying to be as spoiler free as possible.

Gameplay:
The gameplay is awesome, I also had a "meh" expectation for the gameplay because it takes place in the west so I thought I'd be using a gun or two but once again I was wrong. There are so many different weapons they all feel different in their own way, the options of weaponry let you have the option of choosing how to approach certain situations for example, you may go into an area with your guns blazing and just take an all out offensive on your enemy or you can lasso them and bring them back to the town to face what they have done. There is also some knives and throwing weapons that can be used for stealth attacks, though I didn't really seem to go into that part of the gameplay much since your usually out in the open and the general enemy would be a tad difficult to stealth kill.

Visuals/Audio:
The game looks amazing, each area has it's own unique look and there isn't a sudden abrupt change, as you move from one area to the next you'll notice the land slowly becoming more similar to the next area, the animals in the game (that you have the option of hunting and skinning so you can make a few bucks) are so much fun and there are so many animals to see and/or hunt. Some may be docile and flee while others may be aggressive and attack you, some animals will even pretend to flee and return when you have your back turned or with a group and attack you. Lets get to sound, now.. Usually I don't pay much mind to the sound, it's there but there is never anything that pops out to me personally. But this game has an amazing soundtrack, and even the sound effects of certain actions are awesome! The voice actors are incredible, the animals are realistic and the music just pulls it all together in a beautiful looking game.

DLC:
The reason I bought the game.. Well, I will admit that the DLC is very fun but I am very glad I didn't purchase it alone because I would have missed out on such an amazing story in the main game and the DLC did in fact feel very short (To me anyway) There are also DLC costume and weapon packs that are already in the game, so that was fun too but I'll focus more on Undead Nightmare here. The zombies are.. Well.. Zombies! I was so pleased to find out that only fire or a head shot could kill them, shooting them in the arm, chest, leg, or anywhere besides the head will not kill them! Isn't that awesome?! I actually found myself not really using guns because it was so much fun to get close up and smack them on the side of the head with a tomahawk. The story is good, not as good as the main one. What sticks out in this is definitely the gameplay, not only do you get to fight zombies but you also get new weapons that you can't get in the main game! Also the animals can become undead which I found to be a nice touch, an added bonus to having animals becoming undead is that your horse can become undead also! My horse was killed by a small horde of zombies and once I whistled it returned to me looking like it had been dead and chewed on. The Undead horse has unlimited stamina but is also a bit more difficult to control as it sometimes will try to steer in its own direction rather than yours. There are also a few mythical creatures in the game that I will let you find out about for yourself.

Pros:
Gameplay, story, visuals and audio is great!
DLC comes free already in the game so you don't need Xbox LIVE
Free Roam + Sandbox environment, what's not to love?

Cons:
Minor bugs and glitches
There is a Multiplayer aspect of the game but I wasn't able to even play it because it requires Xbox LIVE, so keep that in mind.
Now I don't want to scare anyone from this product, it is indeed awesome but personally I had a game freeze a few times, they were NOT often and only happened about three or four times and my game or console was not harmed by it in anyway.

Overall:
If you like westerns, free roam, huge areas for gameplay or anything like that, BUY THIS NOW. It is a great game and in my opinion it is well worth the price since you don't need internet access to get the DLC.

P.S. This is my first review, I apologize if I wasn't very good, I tried my best and just wanted to let everyone know how much I LOVE this game! Have fun!
1414 comments| 366 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on June 4, 2012
There is so much to love about this game that I don't know where to start! You assume the role of John Marston, a retired outlaw whose family is abducted by the government and used as a bargaining tool; John can see his family once he kills the remaining members of his former gang. John's quest sends him across the American West (specifically a fictionalized Texas and Mexico) of 1911, where locomotives are nearing their Golden Age, automobiles are just seeing the light of day, horses are the main form of transportation, and lawlessness abounds. This is an open-world game where you can explore at will, hunt, take on storyline quests as well as numerous sidequests, play minigames (like poker, horseshoes, blackjack, or liar's dice), purchase weapons and clothing, and try to bring peace to your part of the world. Marston is a lovable and complex character who likens his former-self to Robin Hood and his current-self to a simple but honorable husband, though in truth he straddles the line between the good and the bad (and maybe even the ugly when you consider the scars on his hardened face). The characters you encounter are both charming and despicable, and always full of life. You can play as a fearless justice or ravage the land with your cruel deeds; the choice is yours. Horseback-riding is a ton of fun, the visuals, particularly the open plains at sunset, are gorgeous, and the controls are fluid and easy to pick up. The story, gameplay, and exploration will undoubtedly get you hooked. And then there is multiplayer...

In addition to the single-player experience (which includes the exciting zombie-mode, Undead Nightmare) there is a multiplayer mode. Actually, there are more multiplayer modes than I can name here! You choose a character, a horse to ride, and a title that other players will see just for fun, then get dumped in a free roam session, which plays much like the regular game. From there you can carry out missions with other players, verse them in minigames or alternate modes (like capture the flag or horse races), team up with a posse, or simply try to be the last man standing. You earn money for completing objectives or killing people, and the money you earn increases your online level (up to level 50) and allows you to unlock new weapons, mounts (they're not all horses), and titles. Although the online system could be more streamlined (you have to wait until you're in a free roam session before you can enter specific game modes), it is really enjoyable and never boring because of how much there is to do!

In short, Red Dead Redemption is not a game to be missed for open-world game fans, even if you don't enjoy westerns (I didn't think I would until I picked up this title). It is hands-down the best Rockstar title I've played, and I don't remember the last time I grew so attached to a main character. I applaud Rockstar for the top-notch dialogue, voice-acting, and story, on top of the engrossing gameplay. And, with nearly 100 achievements to unlock, this is a game that will keep you coming back for more!
on August 19, 2015
I’m a day late and a few dollars short getting to the Red Dead Redemption party. I bought the Game Of The Year edition some time ago. The Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 action-adventure game debuted on May 18, 2010. The game proved to become one of Rockstar Studio’s masterpieces. I’ve been a fan of Rockstar’s storytelling since Grand Theft Auto III released back in 2003. Their particular brand of storytelling shines through in Red Dead Redemption.

Red Dead Redemption is based inside Rockstar’s version of our universe (which is not the same as the Grand Theft Auto universes) in 1911. The Wild West is dead and dying as American civilization reigns in outlaws and charlatans. John Marston, a reformed outlaw, is caught in the middle of progress’ warpath. As Marston, you step off a train at the station in fictitious Armadillo (based on Amarillo). There you head to Fort Mercer with a local guide where you are shot in the gut and left for dead. Marston awakens in a ranch hand’s hut. It’s revealed through the ranch owner, Bonnie MacFarlane, scooped you up, put you in a wagon, and took you to a doctor in Armadillo. Bonnie politely interrogates Marston, revealing that he was hunting wanted outlaw and gang leader, Bill Williamson. She then asks Marston to work off the fifteen-dollar medical bill and he obliges. After the bill is paid, Bonnie recommends heading to the U.S. Marshall’s office in Armadillo concerning any aid in assaulting Fort Mercer in search of Bill Williamson. I’m going to stop with the plot here because I hate spoilers as much as the next person.

Where gameplay is concerned, Red Dead Redemption functions like any other open-world game that you would expect from Rockstar. The major difference here is that many towns, settlements, and cities are in-game days apart. It gives a more realistic experience, but after two hours real world time it becomes a pain in the ass. Over time, Rockstar has learned a few things about what fans want. In Grand Theft Auto IV, developers introduced a functioning taxi system that allowed gamers to travel to any selected area within reason. That idea transferred over to Red Dead Redemption in the form of stagecoaches. They do not allow you to travel to any point on the game map, but they cut ten-minute journeys into 3-second hops between towns. Red Dead Redemption employs a slow-motion gunslinging ability called the Dead-Eye. This allows the player to successfully fend off an insane slew of enemies ranging from the garden-variety coyote, the coyote’s cousin – the wolf, to Mexican rebels and fugitive American outlaws. Within a few hours of playing, you will pick up on the importance of the shotgun to stagecoach drivers and their passengers “riding shotgun.” The game being set in early 1900s America; there is a wide array of weaponry available. There are at least three or four variants in each type of gun (pistol/revolver, shotgun, repeater rifle, sniper rifle, thrown, explosive, and lasso/whip). Carriages can become difficult to maneuver because they have a different default button scheme than what the average gamer has been accustomed to with other vehicles in videogames.

The setting in Red Dead Redemption is mostly based on the Four Corners area of the American Southwest. The graphics are gorgeous. Leaves in the trees and wild fields move in the breeze. In two years, Rockstar considerably updated their graphics. That’s a comparison between Red Dead Redemption (2010) and Grand Theft Auto IV (2008). It’s easy to forget your goal and simply ride off into the sunset on a wild mustang you just broke in (entirely possible, by the way). Erik Brudvig at IGN (2010) said, “The setting of Red Dead Redemption, leaving out the interactive elements, is an achievement in itself.”

When I purchase videogames, I ask myself why should I purchase them. In regards to Red Dead Redemption in particular, this game has a huge factor to figure. If you love Western genre entertainment then you will love this game. If you hate Western flicks then this game is going to lose about sixty percent appeal. Western movie fans will appreciate the subtle nods to popular movies like The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More, Tombstone, and True Grit. If you happen to enjoy the open-endedness of open-world games then you will most likely enjoy Red Dead Redemption. Maybe you prefer the freedom to embrace good or evil. If you have ever wanted to act out your favorite Western – this is your chance! So why should you purchase Red Dead Redemption? Well for one, this award-winning game currently holds a 95 and a 9/10 on Metacritic. IGN gives it a 9.7. It currently holds 4.6 out of 5 stars on Amazon. The Official Xbox Magazine (2010) said, “Red Dead Redemption is a truly epic resuscitation of the Western theme in games. It's also easily the best gunslinging game we've ever played.” Critics and fellow gamers aren’t wrong about the game. It’s a masterpiece – complete with a compelling story that is deserving of your time and money.
on October 26, 2016
The game is really fun. Its literally GTA set in a Western era. It of course has its own unique gameplay and the online action is great. Plus the zombie part of this game is awesome! The only negative experience I had wasn't really with the gameplay itself, but the console. .... Buyers beware!!! in order to play this on your Xbox one, you must have internet access and download a mod for it to play. Butttt againn, the game is great its more of a complain towards Microsoft. It's definitely a game worth playing.
on October 23, 2017
While the story line and recreating the atmosphere of the old west are top notch in this game, there are a lot of long cut scenes to watch and long conversations as you ride from town to town. I understand it makes for a compelling story, but when some of your tasks are herding cattle or breaking in horses..it seems like a way to lengthen the game just to make it longer. I will play it to the end and then play the Zombie edition because it's still a great game, but if you're looking for non stop action, look somewhere else.
on November 5, 2016
Truly one of thr best character, game, and stories ever created in gaming. It's a wild west gta. Yeah, it's made by the same dev as gta. That's all you should need to know!
on November 14, 2017
I love this game and I have spent many hours hunting, getting into duels, and exploring the west. I’m so happy that they finally made this game backwards compatible with the Xbox One. I can’t wait till the new game comes out so I’ll be lost rediscovering my love of this fun game with a great story. You need an internet connection to make it backwards compatible, once you pop the game in it will prompt you to download the file so it can work with your Xbox.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
I LOVE this game. At first it went a little slow and I stopped playing it for a month. But as soon as I started it up again I finished it very quickly. Couldn't put down my controller. I love the story, but didn't care much for the ending. The Undead Nightmare dlc is pretty fun as well. Sometimes it was a little silly and it didn't match up with the original story, but other than that I thoroughly enjoyed it.
on June 27, 2017
If you've ever played this you know why this is amazing. Works on the Xbox One. Really wanted to play this again, and since no one seems too keen to release on PC, at least I can play it again without having to hook up the 360.
on May 27, 2017
Love this game it's really fun it's also really a really detailed open world game and was really sad though really recommend this game 5/5

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.