Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Filmographies:Cact / Crew
- Cast/ Director highlights
- Deleted scenes
Top Customer Reviews
1) Carrie-Anne Moss is great at tomboy-type action roles like this one and shines here.
2) They waste little time on unneeded character development and get right into the action.
3) The recreation of Mars' surface was realistic and spooky.
4) The bouncing ball landing craft scene was hilarious.
5) The overall Mars pre-colonization mission (and what they eventually discover with an algae experiment) is imaginative.
6) A high-tech robot runs amok and starts killing. I always love that (ha).
1) The narrative exposition and dialogue is often VERY dorky.
2) The special features included only deleted scenes.
The going price is fair. If you're a science fiction and/or space TV series fan - get it. It has a high rewatch value.
It was promoted as a SF/Horror flick similar to ALIEN, and it really isn't--it's more like Alfred Hitchcock directing THE RIGHT STUFF.
All the SF movie fans I know tend to like byzantine tales, historic in scope, filled with quirky characters roaming rich new landscapes, so this simple tale of a small group of men trying to escape a desolate red planet within a short span of hours might not be rich enough for them. (The SF fanboys won't like it because Carrie-Anne Moss's shower scene is too short and doesn't show enough...er...Moss.)
It's definitely worth a rental, but you won't want to own it unless you're a suspense fan that revels more in how a film is put together than in how it turns out.
The movie begins with the narration of Commander Kate Bowman, as she describes how, after fifty years, the earth is running out of resources, and becoming increasingly uninhabitable. This is the reason for their mission: the first manned space mission to Mars in order to determine whether or not human life could exist on such a planet. This is a nice setup, far more intellectual and interesting that the setup for "Mission to Mars." Unlike that film, there is an actual stated reason for this mission, and the astronauts actually have a purpose in going instead of just going there to observe.
The characters are introduced to us at this time, giving us a chance to warm up to them before throwing them into the expected mayhem to come. Commander Bowman is highly intellectual and fervent in giving orders, and expects nothing but the best from her ship and her crew. The crew consists of Robby Gallagher, a maintenance operator, Dr. Quinn Berchenal, Ted Santen, Chip Pettengill, and Dr. Bud Chantilles. The crew and commander get along well for the most part, with some minor tension between certain characters as well as developing love interests among Gallagher and Bowman.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Entertainment levels, performances, overall plot and story all in good standing, at least, in my humble opinion.Published 16 days ago by Don
I really liked this movie. As a SciFi fan from way back, I enjoyed this movie and I bought the BD to enjoy it again whenever I want.Published 21 days ago by Jay
I love Val Kilmer and Carrie Ann Moss, and they can do no wrong in my eyes!
The fact that they "fall" in love after CAM plays "Naked Shower Exit Russian... Read more
Excellent movie, cannot watch it enough ! ! ! ! ! Think i will watch it again " right now " ! ! !Published 1 month ago by Jimbo
As I worked on the film Mission to Mars - this film that was made simultaneously in Australia! Sorry Brian DePalma but RED PLANET was my fave of the two MARS films.Published 2 months ago by Movieman
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Mystery & Thrillers
- Movies & TV > Genre for Featured Categories > Science Fiction
- Movies & TV > Movies
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Robots & Androids
- Movies & TV > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction > Space Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Action & Adventure
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > All Titles
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Horror
- Movies & TV > Studio Specials > Warner Home Video > Sci-Fi & Fantasy