Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: HO Red Rock Express Train Set, SF
Amazon Vehicles Back to School Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer TheKicks TheKicks TheKicks  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now

on December 23, 2009
I bought this to be a starter kit and it has ran great. The train is well constructed and the track is a snap to put together. I was worried when I bought the trap that it would not be able to use with standard track as this set utilizes the ez track system but I was able to add additional track onto the kit without any probelms other than height. The track is well constructed and it comes with a very easy to use control box. The train and cars use a different type of coupling than most other trains, thus making it harder to add additional trains. If your looking for a beginer track or something to put under the tree this will work great, however it will quickly get boring watching it go around in the small circle over and over.
on June 26, 2012
This train is pretty good, but be prepared to buy more track. What comes with the set does not provide enough options for track variation. I purchased this train and another HO scale train and this one is sturder for the same price. My four-year old son is obsessed with trains and he asks his grandfather to set up his train set all the time.
on December 20, 2012
Bought this for my grand kids first REAL Christmas Garden.
My oldest grand chlid has a mild degree of Autism, and I will probably get emotional when he sees it.
I really like it very much, and am excited about watching them play with it.
They will probably like this more than their presents.
Wish I could have rated this after Christmas, not before.
Works great, can run very slow, which it neat.
The only complaint, is that it is strictly an oval.
Wish that there was at least one or two straight pieces of track.
Almost $20 for 4 pieces of straight pieces, BUT that is not a big deal, just my opinion.
Buy it, especially for the young kids.
on April 11, 2014
Although it is easy to put the train on the track (my 2 year old grandson can do it), it is not easy to KEEP the train on the track. I found it frustrating, but the grandson didn't mind, retracking the engine and cars over and over again. He loved it -- I would like to upgrade!
on December 27, 2012
My 3 year old asked for a train "without eyes" for Christmas and we knew this is what he meant. He was very excited when he unwrapped the box and likes to watch his new train go round and round. He is a wonderful engineer. But the track is very short so we purchased extra.
on March 17, 2016
Thus far, this set has withstood the punishment doled out by my young (6 and 4) son and daughter quite admirably. I know it is intended for older children, so I've been supervising their play. They like to ram the locomotive and cars together at high speeds despite my admonishments, and so far no irreparable damage has occurred. Very impressed!
on December 10, 2015
I bought this last year for my holiday Christmas Village. While all of the other components are still working, the engine stopped working after only a couple hours of use. I still wanted to keep the cars and the rest of the track after I had already setup my layout though, so I put it away and forgot about it until I pulled it out this year, thinking "oh yeah that's still new!" But nope... Engine is dead after only a couple hours use. Maybe I just got unlucky, but I'm disappointed.
on December 9, 2013
Got this as a starter set for my 11yo grandson. He was able to set it up on his own and it worked great, way better than expected. It is only a 36" circle though. So I bought a few 9'" straight pieces to go with it.
on December 28, 2013
The cars are light and flimsy and do not stay on the track. The cars do not stay coupled as the coupling is cheap and light, breaks easily. The engine looks nice but overall the train set is way too frustrating for a child under 4 or an adult for that matter. Better to spend more and get something that will stay on the track and be functional.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 25, 2014
My child has not had a chance to play with this gift more than an hour or two. Already sent the engine back (was replaced promptly) and now the speed controller is in the mail to be replaced. Just poor quality and a major disappointment as we were very excited to move up to a "real" train set after much Thomas stuff. Now it think he is preferring the Hot Wheels set that does not need repairs and replacement. Just not worth the time and money.