Beauty Fall Reading Hallo nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Ultimate Hits by Garth Brooks PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Tote Bags Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment outlanders3premiere outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels outlanders3premierealtText Watch Outlander on Starz with Amazon Channels  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition $79.99. Limited-time offer. All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

on October 4, 2016
I’ve used soil meters that made me pretty skeptical of their accuracy when taking them to extremely different areas in my extensive garden, and getting almost identical readings. So I was pleased to see very different readings on all three fronts (moisture, light, and pH) in the different areas of my garden(s).

I’m a very serious gardener and so the tools of my trade are important to me.

One minor thing I wish this came with was a chart that covered vegetables and not just flowers/shrubs. The moisture and light readings chart on the back of the package is focused almost solely on flowers and shrubs. It’s not a super big deal to google it, but it would be really handy to have the chart on hand for my vegetables, herbs, and fruit.

This is really easy to use – place it in the soil, and flick the switch to whichever element you’d like to measure. Far left is moisture, middle is light, and far right is the soil pH. It is easy to move the switch and very easy to see which element you are currently measuring.

The readout screen is very easy to read – very clear and the gauge swings quickly and precisely to whatever the readout is.

I did a test and measured the moisture levels right after watering my raised bed, and then after not watering for 2 days. It detected a difference – which other moisture meters I’ve had, have not.

I’ve uploaded some photos to show clearly the differences in readings in 1) my raised bed, next to marigolds and just prepared for winter vegetables. Very sunny spot and well watered. (Moisture 7, Light 2000, pH 5.5). And 2) in a pot with a rose bush, less sun, and much drier. (Moisture 3, Light 600, pH 7). I took these readings within seconds of each other and did not wipe off the meter in between readings

The bottom line – I’m impressed with the accuracy and the ease of use.
review image review image
22 comments| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2017
The meter appears to function well and reads consistent with my expectations. It would have been really great if you had swapped the soil moisture scale and the pH scales. The pH (which is the principal reason I purchased this device) is on the innermost scale and very difficult to read. If the moisture scale - which does not have to be exact - were swapped then the pH reading would be much more usable.
on February 11, 2017
It functions as described.

Something I noticed - for moisture / ph level metering, you really want to push that sucker as far into the dirt as you can. I couldn't read my ph until it was practically entirely pushed into the soil, so for the longest time I thought I had a PH of 7.5 until I really pushed it all the way down and it moved to 5.
0Comment| 100 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 26, 2017
Does what it says it will. Confirmed in a matter of seconds that my soil is way to alkaline for the trees that the previous owner planted. Lost one star because it is a economically made product and one of the tines started to bend out of place after just a few uses. Still works fine, I just don't expect this device to hold up for long.
on May 3, 2017
This soil meter is a must have item. It takes the guess (do I need to water) answer away. I have used these for years and love them. Gave mine away so needed new one. If you take care of them they last a long time. I use to overwater because the top of the soil feels dry but after you insert the soil meter you will find the bottom is still wet and no need to water. I ordered an extra one for my new young neighbor and she loves it. I highly recommend this product.
11 comment| 67 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 21, 2017
A must have for gardners. My soil is covered in landscaping fabric and it's hard to tell if my plants need watering, so this meter is helpful in reading the moisture level around my plants. It also helps to read soil Ph, which is important in checking to see if my hydrangeas need more aluminum applied. The only reason I gave it 4 stars was because I have to crouch down low to read it...not an easy task for a senior citizen with arthritis. Otherwise, the unit seems to do the job well.
on September 16, 2017
Works perfectly. the needle moves within just a few minutes, and it's a good feeling if you're dealing with a finicky plant to be able to know the moisture content of the soil.
on September 6, 2017
Won't use until next spring. Looks like a good product.
on September 28, 2017