Industrial Deals Beauty Oprah's Book Club STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 564 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 937 reviews
on November 24, 2015
This Is by far one of his best books I have read.
The first time I Read it I was in the North Arabian Sea in 1987, and read it in 2 day's when not working. then I re-read it another time that I took my time 4 days and it was still dead on.

Now that all this Time has passed, since 1987, I just had to Re-read it again. "27 years later "
The reason I bought the KINDLE edition is that my Copy that I Acquired is a first Edition that is Autographed by Tom Clancy along with the entire Collection from the Hunt for the Red October to the Bear and the Dragoon. all First Editions.

The Red Strom Rising Edition is one of 50 Publishers Editions that has a personal Message in it to me, from Tom Clancy.

Retired, NAVY EOD. 1973-1988 "The hard way."
on May 3, 2017
This book was fantastic. After years of putting off Red Storm Rising I finally got around to it and regret not doing it years earlier. Precision in his military writing that is often lacking in many authors, yet does not try to bog you down in the details. This is perhaps the best Clancy novel and definitely has that rare quality of both quality and quantity. Despite the rather hefty tome that it is, I found myself wishing it hadn't ended after finishing it.
on March 27, 2015
I have not read many WWIII novels, but Red Storm Rising is the only one I found believable. The characters were well defined and likable, even the Soviet leaders were not evil caricatures, but men who truly believed they had no choice. Sure there were one or two who saw the situation as an opportunity to justify a first strike, but without them there would be no story. There were several main characters who represented the story from several different theaters, giving a really full view of the war, from submarine to forward observer, to tank commander and enemy theater commander. I read the book multiple times in the '80. In 2015 it was just as enjoyable.
on March 18, 2013
The world of military techno-thrillers was virtually created by Tom Clancy, and for me the best of them remains "Red Storm Rising", his speculation about a war that thankfully never happened. In fact, even with various proxy conflicts, there has never been anything after WWII that comes close to the Big One described here, with massive land, air and sea campaigns and the overall outcome dependent on technological dominance in all of them. There has never been, before or since, a book that so convincingly depicts the critical role of resupply across vulnerable ocean routes and the importance of Iceland to maintaining it; the role of deep strikes (air); and the interplay of battlefield sensors. And, as expected from the author of The Hunt for Red October (Jack Ryan), there are richly detailed descriptions of submarine operations. There is a large, well-drawn cast of characters on both sides.

I have never been a fan of such books' efforts to weave a plausible casus belli, and "Red Storm Rising" is no exception, based as it is on an oil crisis in the then-USSR. That said, the interplay within the Politburo is just as gripping as the military combat scenes. Oddly, the Washington scenes are given less attention, perhaps simply because the US is reacting to events begun in Moscow. Warsaw Pact considerations are largely absent; there are no Polish or other WP divisions with questionable political loyalty to worry about here. Nor is much time spent on NATO issues, apart from the obvious German refusal to surrender its territory. This one boils down to a slugging match between the US (and Germans, and a passing nod to the UK) and the USSR.

To some extent, these books are almost commercials for whatever the arms industry is flogging for the latest defense wish list. The systems always work as advertised and give our side just enough of an edge to prevail. Would that it were so.

These asides should absolutely not discourage anyone from reading "Red Storm Rising". I have enjoyed it immensely roughly every decade, and just finished my third reading. No one could compare with Clancy at his best, who seems to have received some sort of assistance in this from author Larry Bond.
on August 21, 2015
I still have the hardback version of this book, and bought the Kindle version to re-read on a long trip. I have no idea how Clancy was able to develop such a believable plot, but the storyline in this book could have been pulled from the headlines then (1989) and now. By the end of the novel, I had developed a strong bond with many of the characters, and was deeply interested in their stories. The technical aspects of the book are legendary, and (based on my experience in the US Navy), shockingly accurate. Several of the scenes in this book have been, and will continue to be quite vivid, which I consider the mark of an excellent story. Clancy had a gift, and of of the many of his novels that I've read, I would consider this the best.
on January 4, 2014
I'm come to this book very late--I remember my father reading it when I was a child when it first came out. For a long time, I've resisted reading the military thrillers he enjoyed, but after hearing this book was so highly recommended during some of the remembrance posts following Tom Clancy's death last year I thought I'd give it a shot.

Clancy is obviously a master in this genre--from capturing military tactics to the jargon used to the murky world where politics and military leaders interactive, Clancy does an excellent job. At no point did I think, "That wouldn't happen."

What I didn't expect was how well he would capture the emotions of the men and women involved in the fighting. I think the book captures the conflict that the people engaged in war feel--the mix of fear, duty to country and people under their command, and anger at being in the situation to being with. I also thought the aspects of people in lower ranks subtly managing their superiors to be very well done.

There were a few things I didn't like: at times, the story got a little bogged down in tactical details. Also, it's a little jargon heavy, but I understand the reason. It's not a fast read for those reasons, but the last third of the book moves pretty quickly once all the groundwork has been laid. I would have loved some more story surrounding a couple of the characters, but overall it was pretty well balanced.
on March 3, 2016
It's a very compelling (and mostly plausible) story of what WW3 would be had it occurred prior to the end of Cold War 1 (assuming we're witnessing the beginning of a new one). The story itself follows different people and perspectives from both sides (Nato vs. Urss) and gives a good insight on what would happen in dozens of battles and skirmishes (from what I've read Clancy and Larry Bond simulated most of the Naval and Air encounters in Larry bond's Harpoon - which likely accounts for the superior level of detail in describing the latter, versus land battles).
As with every novel, some things sound a little dramatized at times, with the main characters appearing near invincible and at others the rate at which people are killed would make a 'Game of Thrones' fan cringe.
One of the things I least enjoyed is that in the first 2/3 of the book the action is very thoroughly written with things taking a considerable time to unravel and for the last third, things pretty much start unravelling incredibly fast.
Also, I didn't especially enjoy the ending, but (spoiler) I think that apart from going to Nuclear War there's a very narrow list of possibilities for a full World War in a post-nuclear world to end.
All in all, firmly advise for anyone that enjoys the genre as it was a serious attention-grabber until I finished it.
on May 4, 2017
I read this book years ago, but I needed some insight into how to package complex military hardware and jargon into a very readable book. Clancy was a master at this stuff and I enjoyed this read at least as much as my first. Lesson learned: never give away books that you enjoy.
Anyone who likes military/political thrills should enjoy this book. Still relevant even though some of the weapons have changed. The same geopolitical problems face us today. Excellent book.
on July 20, 2017
Awesome! I loved this book! Kept me on edge the entire time! Unusual but after having read, perhaps not as unlikely a scenario as first thought. Although marginally complicated at times, as it was a treatise on political systems, modern weapons, strategies, and air, land and sea warfare plus several different wonderful character plots; it was an easy but nail biting read and very difficult to put down.
on June 20, 2017
Ordered a fresh library edition to replace my old original hardcover, The book arrived early. And it took a little time to get used to its smaller size and wider, more rigid spine, But the read is more than worth it. With corrections for earlier typos ("Shock damage" on USS Pharris as opposed to earlier "Shook damage". And Jerry 'The Hammer' O'Malley's "Cute." instead of "Cure".)

Adding up to Tom Clancy's best and most ambitious work. Allowing the reader to focus on one specific branch of US Military if desired. And still not lose the growing suspense and impact of the overall tale. Though I always fall back on the Navy. And back it up with Terry Mackall and European armor and tactics.