Beauty Magazine Deals Hallo nav_sap_hiltonhonors_launch Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments $69.99 Handmade Gift Shop Save $30 on a Deep Cleaning Appointment curbpremiere curbpremiere curbpremiere  Three new members of the Echo family All-New Fire HD 8 Kids Edition, starting at $129.99 All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Shop Now HTL17_gno

• Red
  • Customer reviews

Red
Format: Audio CD|Change

on December 8, 2013
I believe that my reaction to Tay Tay's musik is unique but incase I am wrong. I recommend this musik for anyone who is looking for something to listen to while they write fictional short stories and novels. Unlike 99% of all other lyrical music this musik will help you think and feel energized to write more over the long haul. Typically only classical musik is supposed to have this effect for writers but *shrugs*

Amazon's little thing asked why I gave it 5/5 stars and so that is my answer. I imagine that is what a reader is after... whether I recommend it for them to listen to and I most assuredly, absolutely and abundantly do. I find it difficult to imagine a situation a situation where this is untrue. Thus I suggest I may be more than a little biased... or absolutely crazy.
on June 7, 2014
I enjoy most genres of music, and the gauge I used to evaluate the quality of an album is twofold. I note the percent of the songs I like, and the degree to which I like the songs. I would say I enjoy about 60-70% of the songs on the album which is pretty high considering some albums COUGH IMAGINE DRAGONS COUGH have one good song and that is it. The first several songs are mild and likable and you don't have to enjoy country music (I don't) to like this particular album. It is mostly a lot of breakup and romancer songs, shocker, with a little country twist to pop rock to varying degrees.
While the landmark song is "22" which is a real get up and dance around your room song, I thought "All Too Well" was brilliant and deep and heart wrenching. There are a few tears and some dancing, and just mellow songs you can leave on in the background. For reference I grew up on Alt Metal and Punk music and currently listen to Mumford and Sons, Florence and the Machine, and Less Than Jake, among a dozen other bands and would recommend anyone give this accessible album a try.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon October 22, 2012
There are going to be hundreds of reviews of this album out there (and yes, I'm old, I still call them albums) and I know I'm not in Taylor's main demographic audience. First off, I'm a guy. Second off I'm 42 years old and normally listen to things like Irish punk, The Beatles, Springsteen or some hard core country like Chris Knight. I love big band music whether it's Frank Sinatra or Big Bad Voodoo Daddy. With all of that said, I adore Taylor and this new album "Red."

Taylor's songwriting is still in fine form here. The thing that always amazes me about her writing is that she's able to tell stories in her songs, she keeps it simple and more often than not finds one heck of a hook in the chorus. There is passion, there's energy and there is joy. Sure, there are so sad songs, but it seems to my that Taylor takes so much joy in making music that it's hard as a listener not to get caught up in that with her.

After listening to the 16 tracks and the 6 bonus tracks available on some packages I have to say that Taylor's bonus tracks alone are better than what most artists are putting out as albums these days. The "demo" recordings of "Treacherous," "Red" and "State of Grace" are excellent and polished works that are just a bit more stripped down than the versions that appear on the album. It's not really fair to call them demos, as when I hear that word I'm expecting below-par sound and performance. I think it's the mark of a good song if it can be done solo-acoustic (or at least very stripped down) and these three songs certainly hold up well.

For me the whole album is very solid, there are no songs on this disc that I'd skip when listening to it. There is a nice mix of slower ballads and hard hitting rock numbers. Make no mistake about it, Taylor Swift is a rock and roll star. She's setting the bar for what pop music is and doing a fine job of it. It's funny, while listening to "Red" and the big anthmatic numbers I couldn't help but think this is the modern day version of Phil Spector's wall of sound. Sure, there are a lot of synthesizers here, but Taylor has an uncanny ability to create a big sound that just envelops you, especially if you like to play your music as loud as I do.

I think it's the fact that Taylor is such a good songwriter and maybe more importantly storyteller that makes her so accessible across so many different lines. It doesn't matter how old you are or what gender you are, Taylor's songs resonate. Even a song like "22" which is an anthem for the young "let's go out and party" crowd it still hits home with me at 42, because believe it or not kids I was 22 at one point. And, I'm guessing the 10 year olds that hear the song will relate to it because they know it's exactly what they're going to want to do when they're 22.

Red is a little bit country, a lot of pop and a heavy dose of rock and roll. Like some big artists before her, Taylor Swift is not a follower, but instead she is creating the standard for what is popular music. And maybe this is the old man in me coming out, but where most of popular music is fairly brainless and devoid of substance that's the opposite of what Taylor Swift brings to the table. She brings some great story songs, most of which (if not all) I'm pretty sure are very auto-biographical. Taylor is simply telling us her story, she's just making it rhyme and adding some killer hooks and melodies for good measure.
5150+ comments| 426 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 14, 2015
I think this was one of Taylor's most mature albums and best works. "All to Well" was definitely the highlight of the whole album and probably one of her best songs to date. "I Knew You Were Trouble." is easily the weakest song and obviously written just for airplay and catchiness. Sometimes, I feel the album doesn't transition between tracks very well because of how different each one sounds. But overall, I would recommend for pop music lovers to at least give it a listen.

Favorite songs:
-All Too Well
-Everything Has Changed
-Begin Again
on December 27, 2012
I am reviewing this as a 40 year old adult, father and musician so keep that in mind. I have been listening to her music since her first album started being heard on the radio in 2006. I really liked the maturity in song writing and her choice to not follow the wrong path that 90% of other teen pop stars and musicians seem to have and are taking. She has managed to avoid scandals and is really a music star I am comfortable with my daughter following. But then her next couple of albums athough having some good songs on them seemed to me to show some confusion as to what kind of music she really wanted to be, i.e country of pop. Then, in about 2010, my 9 year old daughter, who is also somewhat of a musician having played piano for about 4 years now and also taking voice lessons, discovered her and really liked so we ended up buying all her albums and listening and singing along to them in the car. Still I didn't care for Fearless and Speak Now as much as the self titled Taylor Swift album. They just seemed to be stuck somewhere between genres and never grew on me. We'll, my daughter and I had since moved on to other listening preferences as of late until we heard a track from her new album "Red". I think it was either "I Knew You Were Trouble" or "We're Never Getting Back Together" to which my daughter loved and it kind of raised an eyebrow on me, but still hadn't taken the time to listen to the whole thing until my nephew, who is also a young, very talented, aspiring musician, texted me a few days ago and told me it was on Amazon for $2 and that he had gotten it and it was really good. Well, being one to never let a good deal pass me by I swiftly sat down at computer and listened to all tracks online and promptly purchased it. Ok, now for the review. I am not exaggerating when I say I have had it on repeat on my iPhone since then listening to it everywhere I go and have even learned a couple songs on my acoustic guitar. She has really emerged with definite resolution as a modern pop country music star along the same lines and talent level as Lady Antebellum. She is to be taken serious at this point as a force to be reckoned with genious and talent wise. Her music has matured past teen infatuation and first love breakup type heartbreaks to facing and tackling adult type issues that teens don't have a clue about. Yet, her playfulness and funny side shines through too. There is very mature content in some songs and others that make you want to dance and laugh and others that have such catchy hooks that I can't help but grab my guitar and work through the chord progressions. I have been around and listened to a lot of music in my 40 years from classic rock to heavy metal to country and pop and I like music in all genres and this album has found it's way into my regular playlist (which right now is mostly singer/songwriter/pop music like John Mayer. Jason Mraz, Colbie Callait, Maroon 5, and Lady Antebellum). I realize she is going to get a lot of grief for her departure from country music but for those country fans she loses she will undoubtedly gain a sizeable portion from the pop music crowds. And for us guitar players her music is not so complicated that an intermediate player can't figure it out, like Mayer's early acoustic pieces. I highly recommend this album it is a full rich, deep album that will have you singing and dancing along to one song and then rip your heart out the next one with lyrical content that usually comes from years of experience and her chord progressions and phrasing is both catchy and logical. Buy it and enjoy it; it's really good, in my opinion.
on December 18, 2012
Taylor Swift is cute. I mean, that's my opinion of her and the opinion of many others. Very few see her as a true artist who has diversity in songs--she does the same lyrics and the same style every time. There isn't much to call art, to be honest.

That was until this album was released.

Granted, WANEGBT wasn't artistic in any regard (still pondering that Grammy nod...more likely a "thank you for hosting the nominations concert" treat), but that was not indicative of what was to come on the rest of the record. If you are a dire-hard country fan, you will be disappointed by this album. Then again...why are you listening to a Taylor Swift album in the first place? Her last two albums were more pop than country, so I don't really see a worthy criticism in that regard.

The album opens and doesn't reach a weak point until...well, track 10. State of Grace is a U2 throwback that can only be described as epic. Red is the song everyone (male and female alike) will blare with their windows down on the highway. The gradual crescendo on Treacherous is absolutely wonderful, leading into I Knew You Were Trouble. I never thought that I would see the day when DUBSTEP was in a Taylor Swift song and it worked...but I guess I did. This is one of the best songs released this year and will be a bona fide smash hit on the Hot 100, no doubt.

I just realized how long this album was and how great it was and how repetitive I would be if I went through each and every song and said how wonderful it was, so I will say which tracks were bad.

The Last Time - Meh. nothing appealing about this. Slow and groggy would be two choice words to describe it.

Starlight - VOMIT. Horrible. Sounds like a throwaway Selena Gomez track.

That's it, honestly...The Ed Sheeran Collab was PERFECT, and BEGIN AGAIN WILL MAKE ANY GIRL CRY. Just saying.

A solid fourth album. She has made me a fan.
on July 9, 2014
This girl is amazing. She has to be one of the greatest artists of her generation. I love every track on this CD.
I originally bought her debut album when I found out she was from Berks Co. PA. I wanted to support a local artist but ended up discovering a new all-time favorite. I buy at least one copy of all her albums, one for me and one for the family
on August 31, 2013
I am not in the typical demographic for a Taylor Swift fan - I am 60 and male, and I never thought I would have any use for her music. This CD changed that. I heard a couple songs and ended up buying the CD and eventually fell in love with every track. Almost a year later and I play this CD more than ever, almost every day. I ended up getting all of her previous CD's, even the Christmas one and Beautiful Eyes, and while there are wonderful songs on each one, "Red" is the first one that is flawless. Taylor is a natural songwriter, with a very good lyrical sense, and her voice has improved, and the music itself has grown way beyond the country-folk pop of the earlier albums. I saw her Red tour in Chicago and it was the best concert I have seen in all my years. I can't wait for he next CD! And her next tour!
on June 4, 2017
Great songs! I only wish my car hadn't eaten the CD the first time I put it in the player and now refuses to play it.
on May 2, 2016
My daughter never stops listening to this CD in her car. My 4 and 6 year old grandchildren sing along with her.She loves the music of Taylor Swifts earlier years. Not so much her new style.