Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc For a limited time. 3 months for $0.99. Amazon Music Unlimited. New subscribers only. Terms and conditions apply. Electronics Gift Guide Limited time offer Handmade Last Minute Gifts Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon JCVJ JCVJ JCVJ  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now HTL17_gno

on December 18, 2009
I am a paid Fire Fighter and I have been looking for a lite 'Duty' boot as an alternative to my Heavy Zip-up boots. I needed a slip on so that I could easily remove them and get into my Turn Outs depending on the call. Our Department as just recently authorized Slip-ons for Duty on the line. Many of our members have purchased the Redback Boots and that IS an excellent boot. They are, howeve, more expensive and not always available. I decided to try out the Red Wing as an alternative and I am very pleased.

The boot hurt my feet initially, but I attribute that to not getting a wide enough fit. However, after a few days of wear, the boots broke in and they are now very comfortable. They are also extremely lite. I have issues with foot sweat in a heavier boot and this is not a problem with these. The Ankle support is non-existent, but that is not what I purchased these boots for (I have a pair of White's for urban-interface grassfires).

The sole of the Worx boot is not a Vibram sole, but I think they are almost as good as far as traction is concerned. These boots are excellent for Public Service and Medicals, and they look very professional. For folks that cannot afford the Redback slip on, or are just looking for a lower price point alternative; I recommend the WORX Slip-on.
on February 17, 2010
This is an update, but I've left my original review.

I really liked these boots at first, but when I would wear them for a long day, I would lose feeling in some of my toes. This has never happened with any other shoes of mine. Their customer service never responded to any of my emails, so I tried stretching them, but that failed to stop my toes from going numb. Now I'm out the cost of the shoe and the stretcher and Red Wing lost a lifetime customer. And, yes, the sizing was correct.

Original Review:
I'm a woodworker and I'm on my feet all day on concrete floors, so I need some pretty good boots. I've been a huge fan of Blundstones for a while, but their quality dropped when the stopped making them in Australia and started making them in various Asian countries. To make things worse, they maintained the same high prices for their lower quality products! Their steel toe shoes were also painful.

So I went to a Red Wing shoe store and tried on a number of boots. Their most famous shoes are pretty pricey because they are made well and made domestically. They also felt way too stiff for me and required a break in period, so I passed on them.

Red Wing also sells their Worx line, which seems to be high quality Chinese made work shoes, including the 5424. Wow, these things are so comfy right from the beginning! I don't even notice the steel toe. Time will tell how they hold up, but they seem very well constructed.

The shoes are a hair on the narrow side, so if in doubt, order the wider version of your size.
on April 20, 2010
I bought a pair in 08/08 and these have impressed me to the point of writing this review, I figured they'd last me a year at best just like the rest of the work boots I have purchased but I am still wearing them to this day 5-1/2 days a week.
I work in an industrial supply sales & service shop, so they are by no means being babied, I am constantly stepping in water, motor oil, hydraulic oil & diesel & because I have to kneel a lot to inspect machinery I find most all soles on previous boots tend to split, tear & separate but these polyurethane soles are a bit worn down but still in excellent shape with no signs what so ever of what I just mentioned, combined with regular treatments of Obenaufs HD LP to the uppers they still have a long long way to go. Now that's what I call value! (I was lucky enough to grab a second pair in 01/09 on sale for $49.99... SCORE !!!!!!)
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon November 5, 2010
These are almost too nice to be safety boots. Except for the heavy duty sole and slightly larger toe, they look like dress boots. They are lightweight and the most comfortable work boots I've ever owned. They fit well, and did not require any break-in period. Quality seems very good, and they seem built to last.
on May 8, 2009
I bought these boots for riding my motorcycle, but they are so comfortable I wear them all the time. I teach at a college and they are dressy enough for work and also perfect for riding my motorcycle. The most comfortable boots I have ever owned. I love them so much that I recommend them to everyone I know.
on March 5, 2015
These shoes were awesome. I wore them all day every day while out to sea on the ship. These are some of the best shoes that I have ever worn. I wore them about 16 hours per day, sometimes longer for 2 years straight.
on January 3, 2015
Steel toe piece has become so painful the boot is no longer wearable.
on June 24, 2010
A real nice work boot, well made with good slip resistance. Comfortable if you're on your feet a lot. A little too hot for summer wear in the heat and humidity of Long Island, but a great choice for fall through spring use. They ran a bit tight for me. Whatever your normal width is I'd go one width wider. Mine did strecth with use, but next time I'd try a bit wider.
on December 8, 2010
Con - No arch support and soft sole. Had to use mink oil to soften up heel...giving me a blister...that worked...

Pro - Cannot feel steel toe

Probably best to look else where beside WORX. You get what you pay for. Red Wings cost more but you keep'em for a very looooong time.
on April 25, 2011
Love these boots. Wore them everyday during my deployment and am still wearing them daily at work in the engine rooms. Minimal upkeep required, just a quick polish here and there and they look great. Awesome boots.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.