Amazon Vehicles Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Shop Home Gift Guide Father's Day Gifts Home Gift Guide Shop Popular Services whiteprincess whiteprincess whiteprincess  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Spring Savings Event on Amazon.com Ellen

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-10 of 63 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 117 reviews
on January 3, 2017
I'm surprised at all the good reviews of this book. I love hard sci-fi, and I wanted to like this book. But it was far too boring for me, I kept waiting for stuff to happen. And there is very little action, most of the book is just the characters talking to each other. I wanted more description and use of the Conjoiner tech, that's cool stuff, but it's mostly just an afterthought. And I wanted to know more about the hell-class weapons, but we never learn anything about them at all! And finally, I wanted to learn more about the wolves, and the final battle against them, but it was all too short and anti-climactic. I didn't care at all about Clavain and his relationships with Felka and the long-lost other woman, that was especially boring. Skade was interesting somewhat, but again, had a boring send-off from the rest of the cast. I loved one of this author's other books, "House of Suns", that was very cool and interesting. This one, not at all for me.
on January 11, 2017
This will be quick and spoiler free.

Revelation Space established Reynold's take on a possible future, grounded in his knowledge of science. It was a great piece of world building, and I enjoyed it quite a lot. This one, on the other hand. Oh, dear.

About half way through I got the distinct impression he had exactly one book in him. This one is riddled with endless exposition and some of the worst dialog I can remember having read. It needed several editorial passes, at least 20% pruning of content, and some serious reworking of the dialog and interpersonal relationships. The world building is still there, the science fiction is still really good, but I found the actual storytelling to be sorely lacking. There was a place in the book where it seems he ran out of steam on a story thread, and rather violently jerked the characters onto a different thread. It was a move akin to deus ex machina to collect the necessary characters in the same place.

I almost gave up on it, but after a month of persevering I finally finished. It was my second, and last, Reynolds book.
on June 17, 2015
Good but even better having read Galactic North first. That was the advice of someone who took note of my complaint about trying Revelation Space three times and discarding it each time. So I read Galactic North and it was about the best sci-fi I've ever read, more new ideas in a few pages than entire series by other authors, even Alastair Reynolds himself. Everything revealed in the 2000 pages of the RS series is introduced in short stories in Galactic North, and the medium forces Reynolds to get right to the action in each story. Then I started Revelation Space again a couple weeks ago, and just now finished the series finale, Absolution Gap, which suffers from many 1 and 2-star reviews. Those reviewers would have benefited from reading Galactic North first as the ending which they all hated made perfect sense to me. Too late for them but not for new readers. Seriously, not only is Galactic North better than any book in the series, it also clues you in to what's going on as you read.
on May 22, 2016
I don't usually give complete story reviews, and I won't change my habits here. I will just say that Alistair Reynolds has earned a spot on my bookshelf. His stories are complex, but not overly so, with good character development and plot turns. Of the three main books (to date) in the Revelation Space series, I like Redemption Ark the most. Some of the reviewers have scroed it lower than the other two books, or Chasm City, but I personally found this book to be more entertaining for me as a reader. I don't read to critique, I read for enjoyment, and I really enjoyed Redemption Ark. I would score the three books in the series from highest to lowest thus: Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap, Revelation Space. They are all within a hair of each other, however. All good books and worth a read for anyone interested in science fiction at any level.
on May 19, 2015
I really like Alastair Reynolds writing! I've read one book of his before (Century Rain), and decided to seek out another one. I grabbed this one off the shelf at the library and ended up buying the ebook to carry it along on a trip (in my iPad). Unfortunately, I didn't realize this was book 2 in a series, but I'm not sure if I'd want to go back to read book 1 at this point. I think I'll just continue forward with the series. I'm giving it 4 stars only because Mr. Reynolds gets a little too techy with techno-babble sometimes. Like.... Reading about the technical details of how the Inhibitors could "sing" a hole into a star to reach the core, and then douse a nearby inhabited planet with a jet of that core material and rid it of it's lifeforms, was interesting... but just a TAD overboard on details. Some readers might really like this, though. Overall I'd probably give it more like 4.5 stars.
on August 18, 2016
This story is epic - in scale, in characters, in scientific detail and the imaginative extrapolation of the science. The only reason I didn't rate it 5 stars is that it took me about 100 pages to get hooked, as all that time was used to set up the characters and basic premise. In short, it dragged a little early. But then it exploded! Alistair Reynolds is a unique talent. This is the third of his books I've read, and I intend to read them all.
on February 23, 2017
Book 2 of the Revelation Space series is brilliant. It is gothic, sweeping, and dense in scope. Redemption Ark is more of a thriller than book 1, Revelation Space, and has to its credit more character development. Redemption Ark essentially takes over where RS leaves off. Redemption Ark is a more engaging read, though Reynolds doesn't pack in as many ideas and doesn't need to do as much world building. The story follows Khouri and Volyova as they seek to destroy the Inhibitors, but to a larger degree it focuses on the Conjoiners Clavain, Skade, Remontoire, and Felka. Fantastic read.
on March 5, 2015
Seems to be just setting up the next book, and story-telling jumps in uneven transitions. The writing is very good though occasionally long winded. Character development renders complex but sympathetic characters, but the constant death and rebirth by computer or cloning begins to read like a movie serial.
on October 3, 2016
I enjoyed this book far more than the first in the series. I think reading Beyond Aquila Rift primed me for this continuation of the series and I enjoyed it more because of the grounding in Aquila Rift. This book has also reinforced my initial feeling that Reynolds is one of my favourite sci-fi writers.
on May 12, 2017
If it wasn't about the elephants I'd give it a five, I found them overrated, boring and unreal in space. Rest of the story was great.