Industrial Deals Beauty STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning _baw _baw _baw  Introducing Echo Show Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 440 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 495 reviews
on May 30, 2011
Extremely well written and readable, this well-researched story is full of well-drawn, believable characters. By the time you finish the novel, you feel like Ann Redfield is someone you've known all your life. And you'll know more about the Underground Railroad and the Quakers. And you won't be able to stop thinking about all the people you've come to know and love and all that has happened to them.

I wish this novel would replace "Gone With the Wind" in the U.S. national consciousness as our preeminent story of the Civil War. It would make a great movie, although, of course, the book would still be better (as always!).
on August 8, 2010
Be prepared to not want to do anything but read this book. The story is so commanding and warrants the reader to not want to put it down until you have reached the last page. It is full of surprises and history of the underground railroad and the lives of the Quakers and their gentle beliefs. It is told in such a way that the reader will re-learn what we were taught years ago about slavery and the unfortunate fate of many people. It captures both your mind and heart. The story lines flow with ease and you have a visual the entire time while reading the book. It's truly interesting, fascinating and an absolute wonderful read.
on July 12, 2016
Being a newly discovered relative of the Author.. I was so happy while reading Redfield Farm. All of the characters and locations were familiar to me which made the book so much more enjoyable. I learned that one of my ancestors was most likely involved with the Underground Railroad which I had not known. I love the characters and the story. The characters were so relatable and honestly portrayed. This book accurately portrays the Quaker people and their faith and beliefs. I am a bit biased I must confess, as this book relates to me on a very personal level. If you are interested in the Quaker life and the Underground Railroad, this is a great novel to read!

I hope the Author (my cousin) will write more about our Quaker ancestors. I for one would love to read much more about them all.
on October 12, 2013
A very good true story about a Quaker family in Pennsylvania before and during the civil war. The Redfield family helped hundreds of slaves escape though the underground railroad. Ann Redfield had a child by one of the slaves that she was helping escape. She gave up her son to the father so the child could have a better life in Canada. She kept in contact with the father and his family all her life. This is a wonderful story about family love, helping others and giving food, shelter, transportation and taking care of the sick. There are numerous characters that were well defined. This book has a great plot and is well written. It is very educational about the underground railroad and Quaker history. A very good book to read.
on January 10, 2015
What a wonderful read.. It's the best $2.99 I've spent in a long time. I couldn't put it down. You travel with Ann through her life and in the end, when the book ends, it feels like you have lost a friend. What a special person as the mistress of the plantation. She saved a stolen slave girl and became a true friend. She treated all her people on the plantation with care and kindness. I found this one of my favorite books and hope to read more by this author.
on December 30, 2013
Really enjoy historical fiction and the book had a lot of interesting historical points that I liked learning about but the main plot point - as others have pointed out - was just too unrealistic I almost quit reading. Story seemed believable and exciting and then all of a sudden - in about one page - the main character falls in love with a runaway and they make a baby???? I had to read it twice to believe the author actually wrote that part. It was out of place in the book and extremely out of character for a white Quaker woman. There were many other inconsistencies that I had to ignore to keep reading so I cannot say its a great book. For example, throughout the entire book the main character looks down on her neighbor and pretty much calls her white trash because she's unmarried with three kids - even when she has an illegitimate baby herself! About a hundred times she explains how everyone is truly created equal and yet she constantly thinks less of the neighbor girl. When the neighbor gets beat and dies the main character says "even Pru didn't deserve that" which I found extremely judgmental and against all the other high ideals she preached over and over. I read it because I was stuck in airports over Christmas with numerous delays but I would not recommend it to my friends
on October 30, 2013
This book was enjoyable to read. It focuses on a Quaker family and their involvement with the Underground Railroad, but because it spans so many years, it's interesting to read about the various family members and neighbors as they grow older, marry, move out, etc. and how their lives and personalities change over time. There are many themes of family, faith, forgiveness, patience, integrity, justice, when to obey and when to rebel (against church or law), etc. Farming life is depicted in detail, which works well: we think of the times back then as being so simple, but then we read about the hard work required to run the farm and survive. And of course, even in these "simple" times there are problems: slavery, war, adultery, an abusive relationship, an interracial relationship, excommunication from the church, lost love, post-partum depression, etc. The main character's way of handling these issues, whether she is witnessing them happen to someone else or experiencing them herself, is admirable and relatable. I particularly liked the relationship between brother and sister over the years. Again, the ending seemed a little too good to be true, but then again the characters are so nice you want that kind of ending for them.
on August 16, 2013
I could not put this book down. It is such a good story, well written and the story line intriguing. It tells the story of a Quaker family who helps slaves escape to freedom by way of the Underground Railroad. It has historic elements to it ,which I always enjoy, and I felt such a passion for the characters that I was sad every time I had to put the book down for a few hours. I love a book that makes me feel so passionate, and I wanted to hug the book when it ended
on April 25, 2012
Judith Redline Coopey's novel, "Redfield Farm," seems to accomplish its gift of credibility through the author's homespun, letter-home style. "Redfield Farm" is plain-spoken, indeed very like a letter written by a relative away from home. In this story, the traditions and organization of the Society of Friends are revealed as they play a part in the plot of "Redfield Farm". The peace-loving and seeking Friends in this novel are presented in the guise of a large, extended family with their customs of family gatherings, Friends Meetings, and their community's sharing of work and resources on their individual farms.

The additional spice and tension in this case surrounds the effort of some but not all Quaker families' in their rescue of runaway slaves as well as other thefts, cruelties, and general threats against members of the docile Quaker community. In one episode we learn of an inadvertent love experience between a slave and a Quaker woman .... the woman is punished for the unlawful sexual act, but the product (the baby) is never vilified, rather is as often loved as any other infant. We learn, too, from this and other episodes of the rules under which Quakers lived and those ostracized for violating community codes of conduct. In addition to the novelty of things portrayed in the book, there is also a great deal of tension as the protagonists are near discovery with hidden slaves close at hand.

The novel may be almost too "sweet" for its happy endings, a sense of ultimate salvage of the good guys and justice brought to the bad ones. For all those who know little of Quaker beliefs and traditions and the beginnings of the opening of the west as well as some attitudes toward the War Between The States and the new president, Lincoln, this book is a fair portrait of abolitionist vs. slaveowning, and north vs. south views of the Civil War. A great beach book with memorable passages of pacifist argument.
on July 29, 2012
No spoilers in this review-- This is the most human work I've ever read. I've read many books, some even moved me, but none made me weep. Every character became someone I felt I knew and no fiction I've read achieved that response in me. I wanted to write this while I still remember why I nearly passed this novel up. First, I didn't want to be overwhelmed and depressed by vivid reenactments of the atrocities of slavery-- for me that is heart-wrenching, tragic history and not in the least bit leisurely. This book manages the intensity with an artfulness that is serious but not graphic, long-winded or depressing. Second, I didn't want to be excessively steeped in someone else's unique value system. The main character and community are Quaker to be sure, but they are painted as much human by the author as by any other name and that makes this book universal. I am half way through it but 100% touched by the humanity, weight and inspiration this book has delivered by the pen of a very talented author. Red, white, tan, religious, atheist, rich or poor this book could take up residence in your thoughts for a while.

UPDATE: Finished the book! I loved it. The last stretch was every bit as suspenseful and and plot-turning as the first and the end won't leave you wanting. Despite it's rapturous delivery of sound history, this book is NOT suitable for minors. Sparing any details, the final quarter of the book places it well beyond what I'd want for someone under 16-- and that apart from anything related to slavery.