Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Redlight
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer conj2 conj2 conj2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Kiss Rocks Vegas Water Sports

95%
Format: MP3 Music|Change
Price:$9.49

on August 28, 1998
If you have found your way to this review, all I can say is you will love this album.
The Slackers are a NY city ska band with a solid feel for the Jamaican roots of the genre. The rythym section is extremely tight, with heavy bass, intricate drums and steady guitar. The horn section, including trumpet, trombone and saxophone will get you moving. If this isn't enough for you, I have saved the best for last. The funky Hammond B-3 organ is in full effect on this album and is truly a religious experience.
Watch This, the second track on the album, is classic 1964 Jamaican ska. In fact when I first heard this song on Hellcat record's Give Em the Boot compilation, I thought it was a recording from the sixties. Lyrically, the song is a warning to all the young rudeboys that their girl may take their freedom if they don't "Watch This".
The lyrics are heartfelt and sincere with romance and relationships as a common theme. Red Light, the title track is a personal favorite of mine as it contrasts the airy vocals of singer Marq Lyn with the bassy vocals of Vic Ruggerio as they sing about a love that they haven't gotten over and watch her from afar.
The Slackers are one of the best bands out there today. I have been a ska fan since about 1986 and I am glad to see that ska is gaining some popular appeal. Maybe some of those kids who came to ska through No Doubt and the like will stumble upon a gem like Red Light.
In a related matter I just wanted to mention that Vic Ruggerio appears on the new Rancid album, Life Wont Wait, playing piano and organ. Life Wont Wait is destined to be a classic, and Vic is a major reason why.
on July 15, 2000
Redlight by the Slackers is without a doubt the best CD i have ever heard. Vic Ruggiero is a genious and its a shame his musical talents aren't as appriciated as they should. Redlight never gets old, even after 3 years of daily listening. Better Late Than Never should not be excluded either, because it is a musical masterpiece.
on March 26, 2013
This album tends to lean more to the reggae than the ska, but is a great album all the same. I recently discovered the Slackers and this a great entry album to start listening to them. I usually listen to ska while working out, and this is a little slow to keep motivated on a workout. This is more mellow music.
on April 14, 2002
This is definately my favorite Slackers album. I have all of their music, seriously every album on both CD and vinyl, and I have to say without a doubt that Redlight is the best. If you are new to the Slackers, get this one. If you already have The Question or Better Late Than Never or any other one, GET THIS ONE TOO! The Slackers are one of the top five best bands ever!!!!!!
on May 14, 2000
If you liked The Slackers debut album (Better Late Than Never), then you'll definitely like Redlight...there are a lot of awesome tracks (Married Girl, Cooking For Tommy, Redlight...)this cd is one of my faves and i'd highly recommend that you check it out.
on October 6, 1999
With the exception of Hepcat, THE SLACKERS are probably the best Ska band in recent years!! I've heard alot of the old school Ska sounds from Jamaica, and I must say the Slackers do a great job of re-creating that sound, with a little added rock-steady in it. These guys know how to make good music. If you think you like ska, I think you'd better check this out. It's one of the best I've ever heard. An instant classic.
on January 23, 2002
I ordered this CD because Amazon.com recommended it and I have to thank them. I have a small collection of old school reggae, which includes ska. The CD is great listening and dancing too. It is keeping me awake as I begin anew with the school year. Thank you [Amazon.com]!
on April 18, 2000
one of my favourites. Victor Ruggiero demonstrates what he is able to do. Some killer tracks in this album. (Watch This, Cooking for Tommy,...). Don't loose time and buy it right now.
on May 5, 2000
This is not only one of the best ska/rocksteady CD's I've ever heard but It's also one of my favorites CD's of all time. I highly recommend you check it out.
on September 13, 2007
I was looking to expand my ska collection and decided to pick up this album based on the positive reviews. This is my first introduction to The Slackers and when I first listen to this album I was not blown away. It was good and all, but it was different enough from your typical ska, so I was a little thrown off. After listening to this album several times I began to understand the brillance of The Slackers. This album did not leave the CD player for many many months.

This is a great album by a great band. The type of CD that you search for where there is not a weak track on the whole disc. The one that really sticks with you and becomes a staple of the collection. There are no filler here and the songs flow nicely from one song to another. They mix lots of styles and Victor has a great voice, which gives an overall smokey bar room feel to some of the tracks. The horn section\arrangements are amazing.

If you are a Ska fan this is the album you have be searching for. Buy it and enjoy.