Bubble Witch Saga 3 Industrial Deals HPC Oprah's Book Club Red Shoes We Love nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Weekly One All-New Fire 7, starting at $49.99 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Gift Shop Home and Garden Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon victoriaS2 victoriaS2 victoriaS2  Three new members of the Echo family Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Paperwhite GNO Shop now TG18SW_gno

I am currently living in a tropical country and purchased these sandals with the intention of wearing them for most of the day pretty much every day of the week. After several months of wearing them here are my thoughts.

Fit - Somewhat small, at least until they are broken in. I usually wear size 10 shoes so I got size 10 in these sandals. The fit at first was tight to the point of being uncomfortable. After several weeks of use though they have stretched a little bit and I would say they fit me like a glove right now.

Quality - Very good. I have been wearing these sandals pretty much every day for the last three months, and though they show some signs of wear, the sandals look very good overall and I would guess these sandals to be at less than half of their life expectancy.

Comfort - Meh. The comfort of these sandals in my opinion is just OK. Especially right at first they would hurt my feet after wearing them for a while, but now that they are broken in they aren't too bad. I find that in the hot climate, the wide straps and snug fit also contributes to keeping my feet very warm and somewhat prone to sweat, which has also caused some odor issues. I also think these sandals are on the heavy side which makes wearing them almost more like a shoe than a sandal. If you are shopping for a sandal with comfort being your top priority, I would suggest looking elsewhere, though these aren't too bad once broken in.

I would recommend these sandals for someone looking for sharp looks and good quality, but I do find the comfort somewhat lacking. I have never actually used the bottle opener on the bottom, but this (useless to me) feature may tip the scales for some people. If you aren't going to wear these a lot, expect a somewhat long break-in period. If you can catch these on sale somewhere I would say you are getting a good value for the money, otherwise I feel they are a bit pricey.

--------------
Update
--------------

Since I wear sandals a lot, comfort is a big thing for me when purchasing. Since I've had this pair, I have found another sandal that I would far prefer to this one - the OluKai Hokua OluKai Hokua Sandal - Men's Dark Java/Dark Java 10

These sandals are slightly more expensive, but I have found them to be FAR more comfortable than the Reefs. I have found the durability to be similar, but the OluKai sandals also include a one year warranty, which makes them a far better value in my opinion.
on February 28, 2017
I purchased this hoping for a replacement for my old, worn-out pair. Super-comfy but looking rather sad - old pair is all solid black with leather upper, which was a major part of what I was looking for. Opted for black/silver because the description said leather upper, but what I got is synthetic. I guess Reef is, like all other manufacturers of wearables, constantly changing its styles, but it would be awfully nice if their leather-upper line still came with a plain basic black. Sadly, sending these back, as my experience with synthetic uppers, unless the synthetic is a fabric, is that they won't ever conform or comfortably mold to your feet, no matter what.
on September 1, 2017
I have purchased reef sandals in black for the past 9 years. Our local store closed so went to my go to Amazon. I wear 11's or 12's depending on what the store stocks and both have worked great. I ordered 12's just to be sure. When I opened them I had my sons look at them because honestly they look like none of the reefs we have around the house even though the last 9 years look incredibly similar. We have purchased 27 pairs not counting my wife's. These are definitely different but was thinking new model year or something. Tried them on and after a few minutes my feet hurt (not a sign or true reefs), and these 12's are way smaller when held up to my 11's. To give you an idea, I love the 12's but the sandal hangs out about 1.5 inches from my heel and 3/4 inches from the 11. On these my heel hangs out. My conclusion these fit like knock off Nikes fit me, terrible. Buy with caution because if these aren't fake, they definitely are sized different. For the record I checked the size on the sandal and they say US 12. My sons are 31 and 27 so older and I share reefs. My younger son wears a 10 which were bigger than these. All in all birthday present for me was wasted.
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2015
As my Sanuks come to the end of their life I decided to try some Reefs for the first time in over 20 years. Okay I was a little won over by the "Thirst Quenching Technology" because who doesn't remember with awe the first time they needed a bottle opener because they weren't drinking crappy generic twist-off beer and someone raised their foot and said, "right here!"

Comfort is my #1 issue, I wear orthopaedic shoes for walking and for work with custom orthopaedic inserts, but for beach/casual wear in warm weather that isn't as much of a concern. I've enjoyed how comfortable my Sanuks have been but the Reefs are very comfortable too and I have no buyer's remorse. The 4-star rating instead of 5-stars is for the overall comfort, the Sanuks definitely feel more like standing on a yoga mat.

If you're planning on spending a day walking around an amusement park you should not be wearing sandals, wear runners or shoes designed for walking. Sandals are for more casual affairs, going to the beach, popping out to the store to grab some more liquor, you get the gist. The Reefs are very stylish and they fit perfectly, really like a glove for your feet. I knew my size and was a little hesitant to order online but I'm pleased to say everything was perfect.
on November 22, 2015
I was looking for a sandal that would provide the relief I needed for my heel pain due to Plantar fasciitis. The Reef Men's Fanning Sandal provided the relief I was looking for. Although this sandals says for it's for men, I went ahead and ordered it in a size that would fit me. I wear size 9 in women's, so the size 7 in men's fit perfectly. It is soft and comfortable and provides the support I need to alleviate the heel pain. I am able to wear it all day and walk around without feeling any discomfort on my heel. The only complaint I have is that the upper strap is a bit snug, but this may be due to it being new. I'm sure in time, as I wear it more often, the straps will loosen up and won't feel tight. The bottom of the sandals also have a bottle opener...my son loves using it to open old school soda bottles :) Overall, great sandals.
on October 23, 2014
I've never been the biggest fan of flip-flops that have the in-between-toes separator at the front. They were never comfortable and always managed to cause irritation. Until several summers ago when my friend introduced me to the Reef brand, and this leather fanning in particular. It's functional, sporty, and can be "summer elegant" at the same time.

The leather strap is super soft and comfortable while wearing and walking, enough so to where I never had to think about it. The flip flop is also pleasurable to walk around city streets in. I walk so much in the summers that I end up wearing the bottoms out. That'd be the only negative, I suppose. They could have made it a bit thicker or more durable, but after about 4 months of consistent weekend walking, they're still fantastic.

I have no other comment other than they're great and I hope Reef keeps making this line. Oh! I have a large foot and have been buying size 14. After wearing them in, the flip flop actually stretched a bit and became bigger. I'm at the point where I buy a size 13 now, wear it maybe 4 or 5 times, and then it stretches to a really comfortable fit. Enjoy!
on January 19, 2015
I remember shopping for sandals back in the day and I stopped into a Journeys in the mall to see what they had in stock after checking out other places with no luck. I saw an older version of these Reefs and I wrote them off. Your typical, average beach sandals I thought as I looked at them. I asked the manager if they had any comfortable sandals for every day wear during the summer. As I proceeded to show him my jacked up ankle with all of my scars I told him I was prioritizing comfort above all. He took me straight to these and said, "Here's what you want." I gave him a puzzled look and said, "Are you sure?" He replied, "I've been selling shoes for over 10 years. Trust me. You won't find a sandal more comfortable than this." He was right. I wore that first pair every summer for 5 or 6 years before I finally noticed a lack of cushioning because I had worn down the soles from extended wear and tear. I'm 6'4" and 250 pounds. That's a lot of wear and tear over the years. Hell, I think every other pair of sandals I've ever worn have blown out the tong in the middle. I recently bought my second pair. They are just as comfortable and I expect them to last just as long.
on October 31, 2015
Best sandals ever! I've been wearing reef sandals for as long as I can remember, way before these when the smoothies were all they made and I have loved them all. The durability is top notch and I actually still occasionally wear a pair from about 10 years ago. I was in Cozumel years ago and we were driving around exploring the island, you know back when it was safe to do so, and came up on some men working on the road. Being in Mexico we had a stockpile of cervezas with us and thought it nice to offer some to the workers. Since Dos Equis are not screw tops they needed a bottle opener in order to enjoy the sweet nectar and seeing their faces when I offered up my flip flop was priceless! If you want to be an international super star buy these. If you want to remain a nobody, go to Old Navy....
on November 2, 2014
I am a female and I have wide feet. It is extremely hard to find any flip flops that are wide enough to adequately provide support for my foot without the flip flop being way too long or loose. I have purchased the female version of Reef's, but they are too narrow and do not provide the same support as these. These are extremely comfortable and actually feel better on my feet than running shoes. I have a pair for indoor use and for outdoor use. I also have sensitive feet that get sore if I am wearing a shoe that does not provide enough support. Not a problem with these. I use the indoor pair as slippers because slippers are not thick enough and cause my feet to hurt. If it is cold out and I wear running shoes, my feet will start to hurt and as soon as I get back to the house, I put on the Reefs and my feet feel much better. So far, these have lasted a little over a year and have not worn out. These are men's flip flops and the straps are a little wide, but I love these. I wish they made a shoe that was as comfortable as this.
on January 22, 2014
Let me say that I'm someone who wears sandals extensively, all year round. Living in Arizona I find it much easier to just throw a pair on instead of going through the hassle of getting socks and shoes on especially for simple tasks around the house.

When my old LL Bean sandals finally gave up the goat (120 degree weather and even hotter blacktop surfaces lend to premature wearing and ungluing of components) I had to start digging to find something to replace them.

After reading reviews, looking through pictures I decided on these sandals given they looked pretty well put together and had a very highly padded heel which I find to be a requirement when sometimes I wear the sandal for the upwards of 8-10 hours in a day.

After ordering these and putting them to the test I was immediately impressed by the build quality and the overall comfort and I can say that after almost a years worth of wear and an Arizona summer later these things are STILL holding up just like new! I couldn't be happier with how these sandals fit and their overall comfort is unmatched even on items I've spend double the money on.

Sizing they fit perfectly to the size listed and color is accurately represented in the pictures.

Now, with that being said the novelty feature of the bottle opener built into the bottom of the sandal is actually quite entertaining! After a year's worth of practice I've actually perfected a kicking 'open' with it where I can actually open bottles being held by others without removing the sandal, quite a conversation piece when out camping!

These sandals are genuinely worth the money and if mine ever start showing wear I'm sure that I'll be right back to order a new set!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.