Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Reef Men's Fanning Sandal
Amazon Vehicles Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Britney Spears Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Snacks Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer power_s3 power_s3 power_s3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEM

Price:$28.05 - $82.79

on October 17, 2012
These were very good sandals while they lasted. Mine lasted ~ten & one half months. The outer side strap on my right one became unattached from the sole - all three foci. It looks like they might have been glued. I did get them wet a couple of times. Mine cost U$42.31. I think I should have gotten more out of them than that. I can buy a lot of rubber flip flops for that money.
review image
22 comments| 69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 18, 2006
I bought a pair of these sandals in February 2005 and am still wearing them. Like any sandal, they are fun and easy to wear. Just recently I've noticed that the front part of the soles has worn down and they are smooth now. Also the foam bed has started to crack in several places, but for the price I'd say I've gotten reasonable use out of them.

The bottle opener is a great conversation piece. Also rest assured, they do hold up to wear and tear. I was skeptical when I bought these how long they'd stay intact, but I can attest that they are still in and functional... kinda mangled, but still intact and functioning.

Also, if you think you're just gonna swing your leg up and crack open a beer like Mr. Joe Cool, then think again. I remember when I first got these I was at a backyard house party while in San Diego. I was flirting with these two girls, talkin' my game and trying to be smooth. So I grab another beer, and while talking to them, I lift my foot and try to crack the bottle open. Well, between trying to keep my balance and get the lip of the cap in the opener, I apparently shook it up a bit. When I finally did open it, the resulting explosion of foam shot all over me and the two girls. Not cool.

I would suggest taking the sandal off to use the bottle opener feature.

All and all, a great shoe. Fun and easy to wear.

Another tip: Make sure you wash these every so often! Stick 'em in the washing machine. I neglected to do this and developed a nasty case of athlete's foot from them. Just a heads up. Enjoy!
1313 comments| 134 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 1, 2010
Alone. On the streets of Playa, searching for size 5 Pampers, I longed for refreshment and inspiration. Spotting a corner bodega, I determined that a cervaza was the only remedy. After making my purchase and setting out renewed on my mission, I realized my fatal error. The cap did not twist off. Distraught, I accepted it was not meant to be...it was then that I remembered the hidden church key in the bottom of my Fanning Sandals (Men Sizes 4-15). My mission and my faith were saved.
review image
on August 24, 2015
I absolutely abuse my sandals. I live in a 3rd world country and wear my sandals every single day. Walking in dirt, mud, & rocks. I drive in them, ride a motorcycle in them, play soccer & basketball in them. If any sandal I wear makes it more than a month it is not cheap. I had been using Oakley's in the past and they make it about a year. I made the switch to Reef three months ago, so here is my assessment so far.

Comfort- very comfortable though a bit too thin in the front part, I can feel the rocks much more as I walk over them on the ball of my foot. They break in quickly.

Durability- decent so far but I have noticed that they really have stretched out a bit and my foot is sliding forward, I would recommend a half size or full size smaller than what you are used to, it may be awkward at first but you will slide into them better in the end. I end up getting sucked into a soccer game nearly everyday and play in 8" of gravel. Holding up nicely.

Looks- I had the black pair which were beautiful when they arrived, but after just two days in the conditions I subject them to they absorbed all the dust and dirt and turned grey, no fault of Reef of course. It wears a bit wide all around compared to my previous sandals, I felt like I had a clown shoe on for a few days before I got used to it.

Function- The bottle opener is an absurd idea. I used it once when it was brand new out of the box just to say I used it, but seriously, I know of at least a dozen countries where if you open someones drink with the bottom of your shoe you could get yourself killed with such an insult. How is the bottom of shoe a good idea for putting on the rim of what you are about to stick in your mouth. And is it necessary to have one on each shoe? Does anyone get so busy that they need to have both sandals in action at the same time? If you need a schtick for a sandal, put something more useful like a fork under one and a spoon under another. Maybe a pair of chopsticks. Or just make the whole sandal a giant flask.

Price- very reasonable for the quality you get

Nice sandal, very comfortable, and for average use you should have no worries about it holding up, it is a good buy.
on August 19, 2009
As if there is another flip flop could offer the style, comfortable, and mobility of the Mick Fanning sandal. The leather version of a very popular sandal is exactly what any avid wearer would appreciate.

The sandal is sleek and looks good on a well maintained foot. They are true to size so if you wear a 12, order the 12.

Overall, you cannot and will not go wrong with this great sandal. It hugs the foot very well, provides great heel support, and the church-key hidden perfectly in the sole will be a great topic of any party or gathering. Great job with the development of a great flip flop that even the snobbiest would find pleasure to sport.
33 comments| 41 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 21, 2014
Comfortable sandals to step into. I thought I was really going to like them at first, but I have found that if I do a lot of walking in them (30 min +) the strap over my left foot starts digging into my skin making it painful to walk in, and taking a few days afterwards to heal.
Don't know if it's a common problem or just a defect in the sandal.
on June 4, 2015
I've had decent luck with Reef sandals in the past, and thought I would give these a try based on those experiences. I liked the styling, and I thought the overall build quality was pretty decent. It was pretty much in line with what I had seen from Reef in the past, but I was a little disappointed with the texture of some of the materials that were used.

To be fair, I knew going into my purchase that these were going to be fake leather, and more on the lower end of the Reef brand, but I had hoped they would be a decent option for more casual use. Unfortunately, the faux leather had a very plastic feel to it and I was very aware of that fact with every step I took. I was also a little disappointed with the material used in the foot bed. From the pictures it looked like a "rubbery" material that would be a firm and durable base for the sandal, but it was actually more of a pressed foam that I didn't feel would hold up to extensive outdoor use around the sand and water.

All-in-all it's not a bad sandal for moderate casual use on vacation, or for a day or two at the beach. I actually liked the idea of a bottle opener in the sole, and the cushioning from the air pocket in the heel was very comfortable. But I didn't feel like it was an option for everyday use, and a pair of mid-grade sandals just to kick around in wasn't quite worth the $40 price point to me, so I wound up sending them back.

You could certainly do a lot worse than buying a pair of these, but I think there are better options out there at $40 a pair.
on August 21, 2015
Very comfy flip flops. Got them this morning slipped them on and haven't taken them off since. I have attached a couple pics to show the brown on brown style is in fact partially made with real leather uppers.
review image review image
on June 4, 2006
I bought a pair of Freddy P's reef sandals that lasted 3 years before finally breaking. I loved those shoes. At that point I had to get the Fanning's as the Freddy P's are no longer being made.

The Fanning shoe has lasted me about 1 year, keeping in mind I did not wear them in the winter, The strap that goes in between your toes has started to come apart on both shoes. And they have become loose and not as comfortable.

The bottle opener is to be used only if you have to.

You have to take the shoe off to open beer, if you have already had a few beers standing on one leg can become a little tricky.

I guess for $40 they are worth the price.
on April 19, 2015
I needed a pair of flip flops for year round use, that cushioned the heel adequately. I bought these based on the positive reviews on Amazon and the "Nike" air support in the heel. Don't be fooled by the air cushion in the heel! The heel does not absorb impact as an authentic air cushion would. This air cushion looks like a fake way to make the thong look as though it is the real thing. Don't be tricked as I was. The heel is not very cushiony.

That is the bad part. The good part is that the rest of the sandal seems well built and so far (2 mos of daily use) have been durable. Fit true to size.