Industrial Deals HPC Best Books of the Year Holiday Dress Guide nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Listen for a chance to win PCB for Musical Instruments $34.99 for a limited time only Handmade Gift Shop Holiday Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon life life life  Echo Devices starting at $29.99 Save $30 on All-New Fire HD 8. Limited-time offer. $20 off Kindle Paperwhite Shop now HTL17_gno

on February 9, 2017
Love the Fanning reefs. I have been wearing them for over 10 years now, and various Reef's prior.

Positives: They hold up well to extreme use, over 300 days/year for usually about a year. They are super comfortable. The soles are durable and have traction like a tennis shoe. They open beers (yeah I use that feature all the time).

Negatives: They do hold up well, but they also break in the same two places every time. The thong deteriorates slowly, the first thing to go is the soft decorative cover, which I just cut away when it breaks down. The stronger nylon type part holds for much longer, but eventually can wear through and break rendering the flops -dead-. The other place that will break down (again after prolonged extreme use) is where the strap enters the sole. The glue eventually breaks down and the strap can tug loose. It can usually be tucked back into the sole for a couple months before the thong also breaks down and it's time for a new pair.

My feet sweat. The soles are partially absorptive foam which harbors all the nasties and over time require frequent cleaning. I wear mine in the shower frequently to purge the dirt/debris/smells, but then they take a reasonable period to dry out.

I don't criticize very much for these points, since I do wear these daily, rain or shine, or rarely, snow. You aren't likely to see these weaknesses for several years unless you wear them like I do.

Final note is more for the seller. I just got a "new" pair that had clearly been worn at least long enough for some foot dirt to rub off onto the inner strap. My photos don't quite capture it like the naked eye, but it's there for sure. I don't necessarily mind my flip flops having been tried on, as any pair you buy 'new' at a surf shop is fair game for customers to try on, but this is not a surf shop. PLEASE SELLER: Take a glance at the product you're shipping "as new" and divert the obviously used crap.
review image review image
on February 5, 2016
I've been hunting for a decent pair of flip flops for a long time. I don't wear them hiking, I don't really even wear them outside of the house, but still the tongue always breaks in a couple months. I suppose a year isn't bad, but for the price, it also isn't very good. They were comfortable, and fit well, but none of that matters if they only have a year lifespan. Impressively they have very little sole wear (which isn't too impressive since, as stated, I don't wear them out-and-about much).

The bottle opener is a gimmick at best. I used it once, and after that never touched it again for sanitary reasons. It also destroyed a ridged outdoor floor mat in short order, and put a couple dings on the coffee table.
review image
on May 1, 2014
The sandals are extremely comfortable and great for a trip where you are expecting to walk alot. The thong takes a bit to get used to if you havent already been wearing this type of sandal but after you do they are super comfy.
on June 24, 2015
I have had a bad habit of buying 10 pairs of dollar sandals every spring because I am either barefoot all day, or in sandals. I was fed up with them all breaking on me, but I expected them to fall apart because of how cheap they were. This year I decided to try buying a single pair or semi-expensive sandals so that I could have something that was durable and would give me better support.

I work in my shop on my property all day, every day. The floor is concrete and it just kills my back. These sandals have given me a little extra cushion under my feet and they significantly help with my back pain from walking and standing all day. I even ride my bike almost daily with these sandals and they have quickly become a part of my everyday life.

When these wear out, I will gladly purchase another pair. The only complaint I have about them is that there is not enough arch support so sometimes my feet really ache when walking a lot in them, so I take them off and go barefoot. These would be even better with some added arch support.
on April 23, 2015
I love these flip flops. They fit as I expected they would, maybe just a little big or wide - but they are a men's size 7 and I probably need a size 6 as I normally wear the Women's size 8 but can't find many Reef Fanning in womens these days. Reef used to make quite a variety for women but they seem to have cut back on them lately - so I've been looking at the Men's and there are so many choices. I love the Mai Tai - it has the tropical print on them and works great for a woman also. I have several things I can wear them with and they look great. If they had been available in a size 6 I would have preferred that, but the 7 isn't bad. I've had lots of compliments on them!
on April 5, 2016
I wear sandals when I am out, and always keep a pair dedicated to indoors wear - I don’t like slippers. I liked the appearance of these Reef sandals, and bought them specifically to wear indoors. With the relatively gentle wear they would endure because of that fact versus street use, I definitely anticipated a lifespan of a minimum of five years.

I have now worn them for barely 8 months, and the toe strap of the right sandal has already given in, its counterpart on the left side about to do the same.

The inward edge of the upper surface shows limited wear, but aside from the toe strap issue it looks as if these could last for at least three more years. So why not build them with a sturdier toe strap? I don't like parting with things before they have accomplished their intended purpose or at least a good chunk of it, so I replaced the toe strap myself with parachute cord, and hopefully the fix will last. I wish they had come sturdier out of the box, as the Rainbow seem to be. Looks were deceiving in this instance.
on September 22, 2014
I have been wearing these for years and love them. I buy them two at a time and each morning when I shower I take the ones I word the day before in with me and then put them next to an AC vent to dry. Wear the fresh ones from the day before. They are super comfortable and last well considering I wear them pretty much all day, every day. Only time I don't is in the winter when it is too cold. I've bought dozens of these over the years and hope they never discontinue them. I do use the can opener occasionally but that is really secondary to how comfortable they are.
on June 21, 2013
I wear a 10.5 US mens shoe and went with an 11 US mens for these. Fit is great front back and sides.. The piece between the toes hurt though to the point where I could only wear them a few hours the first day and than couldn't at all for the next few days. It would hurt to take one step in them. There's a dual strap there with a stiff fake leathery piece. Rolled and pinched for a few hours over the days I couldn't wear them and they began to wear in real comfortably. Wear them to the store to the beach and on the boat and don't have the blister problem anymore.

Bottle opener on the bottom isn't really my thing; wish they had models without. Made a few close falls when going into and out of the boat. They are like ice skates on the aluminum docks or any other hard flat/round surface you step on wrong. The bottle opener also fills with sand/mud/grass so I'd never use them to open my drinks anyways. Guess it's a ploy aimed for the college kids.
on July 17, 2015
Reef's Fanning line is easily the most comfortable and active-friendly flipflop out there. This is my third pair in roughly six years, the previous ones lasting me about three years each. I'm sure I would have gotten even longer out of them if I didn't wear them every day from April through October and put them to work as hard as I do. These are on my feet when I'm out and about, doing yard work, hitting the beach, hiking, you name it...

I have super flat feet and these are perfectly comfortable since they don't have as pronounced an arch as many other sandals out there. They do run a tad large; I usually wear a 10 or 9.5, but the 9 here fits just right.

Don't hesitate to get these, especially when they go for half of retail - it's a no-brainer!
on July 4, 2014
I'm a sandal guy. There are higher quality for more money but these have no faults based on about a year of use. My toes look better in Keens, covered up! Nobody seems to notice toes enough to worry? Reefs are like, fit my foot contours perfect and have nice style depending on your choice. The ones I picked have gone up 50% in a year! Weird? Put your size in and check all the colors and patterns prices vary quite a bit. There are many high quality stylish flips. For the money you might find a color for a bargain price since the are so well made. Happy Trails
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.