Your Garage Luxury Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Samsung S8 Launch Limited time offer Wickedly Prime Handmade Mother's Day Gifts hgg17 Shop Popular Services Catastrophe Catastrophe Catastrophe  Introducing Echo Look Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. National Bike Month on Amazon disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,406 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,465 reviews
on February 9, 2017
Love the Fanning reefs. I have been wearing them for over 10 years now, and various Reef's prior.

Positives: They hold up well to extreme use, over 300 days/year for usually about a year. They are super comfortable. The soles are durable and have traction like a tennis shoe. They open beers (yeah I use that feature all the time).

Negatives: They do hold up well, but they also break in the same two places every time. The thong deteriorates slowly, the first thing to go is the soft decorative cover, which I just cut away when it breaks down. The stronger nylon type part holds for much longer, but eventually can wear through and break rendering the flops -dead-. The other place that will break down (again after prolonged extreme use) is where the strap enters the sole. The glue eventually breaks down and the strap can tug loose. It can usually be tucked back into the sole for a couple months before the thong also breaks down and it's time for a new pair.

My feet sweat. The soles are partially absorptive foam which harbors all the nasties and over time require frequent cleaning. I wear mine in the shower frequently to purge the dirt/debris/smells, but then they take a reasonable period to dry out.

I don't criticize very much for these points, since I do wear these daily, rain or shine, or rarely, snow. You aren't likely to see these weaknesses for several years unless you wear them like I do.

Final note is more for the seller. I just got a "new" pair that had clearly been worn at least long enough for some foot dirt to rub off onto the inner strap. My photos don't quite capture it like the naked eye, but it's there for sure. I don't necessarily mind my flip flops having been tried on, as any pair you buy 'new' at a surf shop is fair game for customers to try on, but this is not a surf shop. PLEASE SELLER: Take a glance at the product you're shipping "as new" and divert the obviously used crap.
review image review image
on June 21, 2013
I wear a 10.5 US mens shoe and went with an 11 US mens for these. Fit is great front back and sides.. The piece between the toes hurt though to the point where I could only wear them a few hours the first day and than couldn't at all for the next few days. It would hurt to take one step in them. There's a dual strap there with a stiff fake leathery piece. Rolled and pinched for a few hours over the days I couldn't wear them and they began to wear in real comfortably. Wear them to the store to the beach and on the boat and don't have the blister problem anymore.

Bottle opener on the bottom isn't really my thing; wish they had models without. Made a few close falls when going into and out of the boat. They are like ice skates on the aluminum docks or any other hard flat/round surface you step on wrong. The bottle opener also fills with sand/mud/grass so I'd never use them to open my drinks anyways. Guess it's a ploy aimed for the college kids.
on April 23, 2015
I love these flip flops. They fit as I expected they would, maybe just a little big or wide - but they are a men's size 7 and I probably need a size 6 as I normally wear the Women's size 8 but can't find many Reef Fanning in womens these days. Reef used to make quite a variety for women but they seem to have cut back on them lately - so I've been looking at the Men's and there are so many choices. I love the Mai Tai - it has the tropical print on them and works great for a woman also. I have several things I can wear them with and they look great. If they had been available in a size 6 I would have preferred that, but the 7 isn't bad. I've had lots of compliments on them!
on August 30, 2015
I can wear these all day! High quality and you can open your beer with them. Seriously, what else more can you ask for? I find myself walking across rocks with these sometimes, and feel stable and without feeling the rocks really beneath me, so plenty of cushion, thickness and comfort. Fits as expected. I wear a 11.5 or 12 in normal shoe, and an 11 fits perfect in sandal, so keep that in mind you dont need the "extra shoe space" when ordering your size. I liked my brown ones so much that I had to get the same black pair as well.
on July 17, 2016
This is only my second pair in the better part of a decade. First pair finally let loose on the left only (toe-thong-thing material tore/broke). Very well built and extremely comfortable on my 220# frame. Only needed the bottle opener feature one time, and it worked perfectly. I'll continue to buy these as long as I can find them (might need to get a spare now so that I have them for another 8-10 years from now).
on February 8, 2016
I needed sandals last minute after ripping my then current sandals after catching them on something metal while walking. Reef sandals have always been super comfortable and I also like the fact that they have an attached bottle opener on the bottom.
on May 3, 2016
Overall, pretty good. However, these sandals would be perfect for me with a half size option. It's a small knock; I bought a half size higher than I usually get and they're still comfortable.
on March 6, 2017
I have owned several pairs of Fannings over the years and this is the first pair that doesn't fit well. I always buy size 10.5 but these are a little too small. Disappointed. Makes me wonder if they're authentic?
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 15, 2015
Absolutely love these sandals. Been wearing them for 3 years and they are still going strong.
on July 20, 2015
My 3rd pair of Reefs, love them, well worth the money. The feel a little small at first but are starting to stretch a little to accommodate, another week or so and they'll be perfect. It always nice to have the bottle opener close.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.