Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book House Cleaning TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy TheOnlyLivingBoy  Amazon Echo now $99.99 Limited-time offer: All-New Fire 7, starting at $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite Trade it in. Fund the next. Tailgating STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,415 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,500 reviews
VINE VOICEon April 28, 2015
As my Sanuks come to the end of their life I decided to try some Reefs for the first time in over 20 years. Okay I was a little won over by the "Thirst Quenching Technology" because who doesn't remember with awe the first time they needed a bottle opener because they weren't drinking crappy generic twist-off beer and someone raised their foot and said, "right here!"

Comfort is my #1 issue, I wear orthopaedic shoes for walking and for work with custom orthopaedic inserts, but for beach/casual wear in warm weather that isn't as much of a concern. I've enjoyed how comfortable my Sanuks have been but the Reefs are very comfortable too and I have no buyer's remorse. The 4-star rating instead of 5-stars is for the overall comfort, the Sanuks definitely feel more like standing on a yoga mat.

If you're planning on spending a day walking around an amusement park you should not be wearing sandals, wear runners or shoes designed for walking. Sandals are for more casual affairs, going to the beach, popping out to the store to grab some more liquor, you get the gist. The Reefs are very stylish and they fit perfectly, really like a glove for your feet. I knew my size and was a little hesitant to order online but I'm pleased to say everything was perfect.
on February 9, 2017
Love the Fanning reefs. I have been wearing them for over 10 years now, and various Reef's prior.

Positives: They hold up well to extreme use, over 300 days/year for usually about a year. They are super comfortable. The soles are durable and have traction like a tennis shoe. They open beers (yeah I use that feature all the time).

Negatives: They do hold up well, but they also break in the same two places every time. The thong deteriorates slowly, the first thing to go is the soft decorative cover, which I just cut away when it breaks down. The stronger nylon type part holds for much longer, but eventually can wear through and break rendering the flops -dead-. The other place that will break down (again after prolonged extreme use) is where the strap enters the sole. The glue eventually breaks down and the strap can tug loose. It can usually be tucked back into the sole for a couple months before the thong also breaks down and it's time for a new pair.

My feet sweat. The soles are partially absorptive foam which harbors all the nasties and over time require frequent cleaning. I wear mine in the shower frequently to purge the dirt/debris/smells, but then they take a reasonable period to dry out.

I don't criticize very much for these points, since I do wear these daily, rain or shine, or rarely, snow. You aren't likely to see these weaknesses for several years unless you wear them like I do.

Final note is more for the seller. I just got a "new" pair that had clearly been worn at least long enough for some foot dirt to rub off onto the inner strap. My photos don't quite capture it like the naked eye, but it's there for sure. I don't necessarily mind my flip flops having been tried on, as any pair you buy 'new' at a surf shop is fair game for customers to try on, but this is not a surf shop. PLEASE SELLER: Take a glance at the product you're shipping "as new" and divert the obviously used crap.
review image review image
on February 5, 2016
I've been hunting for a decent pair of flip flops for a long time. I don't wear them hiking, I don't really even wear them outside of the house, but still the tongue always breaks in a couple months. I suppose a year isn't bad, but for the price, it also isn't very good. They were comfortable, and fit well, but none of that matters if they only have a year lifespan. Impressively they have very little sole wear (which isn't too impressive since, as stated, I don't wear them out-and-about much).

The bottle opener is a gimmick at best. I used it once, and after that never touched it again for sanitary reasons. It also destroyed a ridged outdoor floor mat in short order, and put a couple dings on the coffee table.
review image
on May 1, 2014
The sandals are extremely comfortable and great for a trip where you are expecting to walk alot. The thong takes a bit to get used to if you havent already been wearing this type of sandal but after you do they are super comfy.
on May 17, 2017
Reef has some serious product quality issues. A bottle opener doesn't give a company carte blanche to make low low low quality sandals.

The strand of cloth between the toes broke/gave out in two years. I found Scott Hawaii on Amazon and ordered them...sending the Reefs back to Reef with a nasty gram and a seething rant about product (non) quality.
on June 24, 2015
I have had a bad habit of buying 10 pairs of dollar sandals every spring because I am either barefoot all day, or in sandals. I was fed up with them all breaking on me, but I expected them to fall apart because of how cheap they were. This year I decided to try buying a single pair or semi-expensive sandals so that I could have something that was durable and would give me better support.

I work in my shop on my property all day, every day. The floor is concrete and it just kills my back. These sandals have given me a little extra cushion under my feet and they significantly help with my back pain from walking and standing all day. I even ride my bike almost daily with these sandals and they have quickly become a part of my everyday life.

When these wear out, I will gladly purchase another pair. The only complaint I have about them is that there is not enough arch support so sometimes my feet really ache when walking a lot in them, so I take them off and go barefoot. These would be even better with some added arch support.
on April 23, 2015
I love these flip flops. They fit as I expected they would, maybe just a little big or wide - but they are a men's size 7 and I probably need a size 6 as I normally wear the Women's size 8 but can't find many Reef Fanning in womens these days. Reef used to make quite a variety for women but they seem to have cut back on them lately - so I've been looking at the Men's and there are so many choices. I love the Mai Tai - it has the tropical print on them and works great for a woman also. I have several things I can wear them with and they look great. If they had been available in a size 6 I would have preferred that, but the 7 isn't bad. I've had lots of compliments on them!
on August 30, 2015
I can wear these all day! High quality and you can open your beer with them. Seriously, what else more can you ask for? I find myself walking across rocks with these sometimes, and feel stable and without feeling the rocks really beneath me, so plenty of cushion, thickness and comfort. Fits as expected. I wear a 11.5 or 12 in normal shoe, and an 11 fits perfect in sandal, so keep that in mind you dont need the "extra shoe space" when ordering your size. I liked my brown ones so much that I had to get the same black pair as well.
on April 5, 2016
I wear sandals when I am out, and always keep a pair dedicated to indoors wear - I don’t like slippers. I liked the appearance of these Reef sandals, and bought them specifically to wear indoors. With the relatively gentle wear they would endure because of that fact versus street use, I definitely anticipated a lifespan of a minimum of five years.

I have now worn them for barely 8 months, and the toe strap of the right sandal has already given in, its counterpart on the left side about to do the same.

The inward edge of the upper surface shows limited wear, but aside from the toe strap issue it looks as if these could last for at least three more years. So why not build them with a sturdier toe strap? I don't like parting with things before they have accomplished their intended purpose or at least a good chunk of it, so I replaced the toe strap myself with parachute cord, and hopefully the fix will last. I wish they had come sturdier out of the box, as the Rainbow seem to be. Looks were deceiving in this instance.
on September 22, 2014
I have been wearing these for years and love them. I buy them two at a time and each morning when I shower I take the ones I word the day before in with me and then put them next to an AC vent to dry. Wear the fresh ones from the day before. They are super comfortable and last well considering I wear them pretty much all day, every day. Only time I don't is in the winter when it is too cold. I've bought dozens of these over the years and hope they never discontinue them. I do use the can opener occasionally but that is really secondary to how comfortable they are.

Please make sure that you are posting in the form of a question.