Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Little FIres Everywhere STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon BradsStatus BradsStatus BradsStatus  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Tailgating ToyHW17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 126 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 167 reviews
on November 13, 2016
I have delayed reviewing this book as it requires me to commit to "finishing" it. One never finishes this book. It is a truly fabulous, informative, and beautifully presented reference book that accompanies me to the Caribbean time after time on my dive trips. In group dive trips, I am forever wrestling it back from my fellow divers--so much so that I had to give the dive couple we usually dive with a copy of their own. Humann not only helps you identify the various Caribbean creatures in the usual way of pointing out distinguishing features and identifying marks, he also helps you understand the relationship between seemingly very different fish (like how a pretty little Fairy Basslet is related to those big, impressive Bass). And, of course, I can't give enough praise to Ned Deloach's photography--truly amazing work. I had the privilege a few years ago of meeting Mr. Deloach and his talented videographer wife at a lecture at Scripps Institute of Oceanography in San Diego and felt like it was meeting the true giants in a very specialized field--quite an honor. For scuba divers, snorkelers, or just lovers of sea creatures, this is a must have.
on March 20, 2016
Saw the little guide at our resort's dive shop in one of our dive trips in Bonaire. I was flipping over its pages before (shore) dives, sometimes between dives. I was quite impressed by its diversity and thoroughness, not to mention the beautiful pictures in it. Impressed enough to put it in my wish list and get it once we got back home! Great to peruse / read at my leisure and further my aquatic education (you must have guessed already that as a scuba diver I love this kind of reading :) But another great bonus is that by reading this great book and looking at the pictures I mentally travel in an instant underwater to beautiful places I've been, even to ones I long to be and then by being in that blue Universe I love to be - and good books are such great frigates that take us places as the poet has put it - offers me such great joy, such great joy... and you can't really put a price on this!...
on June 25, 2016
This is a GREAT book. I keep it as a ready reference here in Belize. The color balance of the photos has improved dramatically since the 3rd edition. (No more crazy toned parrotfish). It has expanded quite a bit- and now I have more to learn. I thought I knew my neon goby= now I find there is a separate "Caribbean neon goby" that I need to see if I can differentiate.
This is a must have for anyone who is interested in identifying and understanding the fish one can expect to encounter while snorkling or diving in and around the Caribbean​.
on October 6, 2012
I'm a beginner - novice scuba diver and enjoy underwater photography. I really wanted something that wasn't overly complicated to help me identify various creatures when scuba diving in Jamaica. I bought the series of 3 (Reef Creatures, Coral and Fish) and these were precisely what I wanted. The first few pages have some drawn illustrations to guide you to which class you are looking for and go to that section where there are excellent color photos to help identify the species. Every species listed also has a short blurb to tell you specific identifying features (which can be helpful if the specimen you're identifying was a little varied from the photo), the prevalence in the area, normal dwelling areas (like in coral, near sponges, etc) to be even more specific to help you identify. I've already used this to help me id species from past photographs. They are very comprehensive and easy to use.

My only minor problem and is probably more my fault for not looking at the shipping weights, is that they are a tad heavier than expected. I'm going on another dive trip soon and plan on taking them with me and perusing them between dives and they will definitely require that I lighten my luggage. Together all 3 books (spiral bound with plastic cover) weigh about 5-6 lbs. Comparatively considering prices for other guides which usually had complaints of not being easy to use, no color photos, not enough info., I'm still very happy I bought these. I think the value for the money (purchased used - good to very good condition via Amazon), was more than excellent. Even knowing the weight, I would definitely buy again.
on March 13, 2014
I bought the Reef Fish and Reef Creatures book for my boyfriend (26) for Christmas 2013. We go to the Caribbean annually and he loves snorkeling so this was the perfect gift. He actually "hates reading"... but every time I go to his house, the books are in a different spot (couch table, bedroom, bathroom - lol) so I know he is reading them often and enjoying them. I've gotten lost in them a couple times myself. They have great pictures, great info on how the species are classified, and are perfect for identifying what we have already seen. The info for each fish is only a couple lines, but if he has more questions he just googles the name. Much easier than googling "red fish I saw in Punta Cana" haha. I recommend these - pictures are great for all ages, but info is pretty abbreviated so probably for young teens and up as far as the reading goes.
on March 16, 2015
This is an amazingly useful book for divers, snorkelers, and naturalists. It is not a scientific treatise, but rather an excellent field guide to the rich fish fauna of Florida and the Caribbean. The quality of most of the photographs is excellent, and I'm amazed that the authors were able to collect photographs of so many species in the wild: no aquarium shots. The books also does a good job of pointing out a few significant characteristics of each specie to help in its identification. Significant accounts of the biology of various species are lacking, but this volume is just what it says it is, a field guide. Highly recommended.
on July 31, 2017
product was as described, arrived on time. Would buy again and from same vendor.
on May 12, 2017
One of the best fish identifier books available. I recommend it!
on November 12, 2016
As a diver and underwater photographer, I encounter many different fish. This is a great addition to my other id books. Paul Humann takes wonderful pictures that help make identification easy! I was able to look up a different fish I saw in Grand Turk, it was an Indigo Hamlet! The book is arranged so you can find what your looking for without a lot of flipping around
on June 23, 2015
These are great books for any avid scuba diver...just don't expect them to look like the version you are familiar with at the dive resort when they arrive on your doorstep. These are paperbound books and do not have those plastic spiral bindings which allow the pages to lie flat. Why a spiral binding option is unavailable from the publisher is a mystery to me.