Lyft Industrial Deals Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Alexa on Mobile Get 10% cashback on thousands of musical instruments with your Amazon.com Store Credit Card Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy Spider-Man: Homecoming available to buy  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating FFII_gno

Showing 1-10 of 25 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 28 reviews
VINE VOICEon February 8, 2009
Reference and Information Services in the 21st Century by Kay Ann Cassell and Uma Hiremath was my assigned textbook for my required reference class toward my master's degree in library and information science. Having completed a semester of library school I have realized that a lot of writing about the ins and outs of libraries can be quite dry. (I tell my mother the titles of books I need to read and she starts to laugh nervously. For a really long time.)

That said, this one is not as bad as it could be. While the writing follows a very clear formula, it is still informative. The writing is also not so redundant as to render the text into nonsensical gibberish. Some of the information, if you have spent any time with libraries in your own life, will be redundant. Some pieces of information will be pure gold. Unfortunately, I suspect that is often the way with textbooks.

The sections on readers advisory and the reference interview were both well put together but the text spends just as much time with more specific topics like maps. I enjoyed the chapter on dictionaries but that might say more about me than the book. That aside, I am forced to underscore the fact that Cassell and Hiremath's treatment of numerous sources for each topic, while undoubtedly informative, did start to feel very repetitive.

I like this book for three big reasons. First because the book is dedicated to me. Not to me specifically, but to me and all of the other intrepid librarians of the twenty-first century. I also like that the book does focus on electronic resources which, lets face it, are a really big part of library reference work nowadays. Finally, I am forever indebted to this book for introducing me to KDL's What's Next Database--a searchable database to find series titles, order of books, and authors. I've known about the site for a couple of months and it still feels like a dream come true.
on July 4, 2012
This is a good textbook which identifies many types of reference sources. I'm usinibis in a library science course in reference transactions, and it is proving to be a handy tool. I'll keep it handy long after I finish my course.

Recommended.
on February 10, 2010
For a Reference class textbook, I have found this book to be very good. The chapters are not extremely long and the reading is quite easy to take in and understand. There is a lot of recommended reading that is very helpful and has been assigned in my class several times. I have definitely gotten a lot out of the recommended reading articles.
on June 23, 2011
This is a great textbook because it contains so much hands-on information. A very great reference tool that all reference librarians should be familiar with. The authors provide an abundance of reference sources and multiple ways of accessing and providing information. One of the best library texts I have read.
on September 10, 2009
This is a great reference tool. I read it in my master's level Library Science class and I intend to refer to it after I complete my degree.
on March 4, 2014
This textbook met my expectations. I would recommend this to students looking for a cheaper way to obtain their course textbook.
on October 25, 2014
Great book - using for our LIBT 170 Reference and Information Services class!
on July 18, 2015
Remind's me of my ex.
on October 26, 2014
Book was full of interesting information.
on July 4, 2012
This book was an excellent resource for my library science graduate class, and I plan on using it in my library! I just love the lists of recommended resources and websites!