Your Garage Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Amazon's Choice Computers Limited time offer Luxury Beauty Handmade Mother's Day Gifts STEM Shop Popular Services siliconvalley siliconvalley siliconvalley  All-New Echo Dot Starting at $49.99 Kindle Oasis Nintendo Switch Shop Now disgotg_gno_17

Showing 1-10 of 1,095 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,135 reviews
on January 26, 2012
About buying a dual-band router
Based on the reviews here, it seems that a lot of people have unrealistic expectations of what a dual band router will do for them, so I wanted to start my review by addressing the expectations you should have when you buy any dual band router. Many people seem to think that the 5GHz frequency band is inherently newer and better than the 2.4GHz band. That's simply not true as both bands have been around for a long time (802.11a ran at 5 GHz) and each has its strengths and weaknesses.

Some reviewers here have discovered one of those, noting that they didn't get as much range from the 5 GHz channels as the 2.4. That's exactly right. Higher frequencies do not travel and penetrate obstructions as well as lower ones, so we'll all get more distance from running in the 2.4 GHz band.

Another consideration is that many 802.11n devices run only on the 2.4 GHz band and won't even see a 5 GHz network. (The iPhone, for example, see only 2.4 GHz, while the iPad 2 sees both.) [Update 8/2/2013: Some commenters have noted that the iPhone 5 (released after I wrote this) does support both bands. They are, of course, correct... my iPhone 5 does see both networks.] Even if your router runs at 5 GHz, it's useless if the device you want to connect doesn't also run it. Before investing in a dual band router, it's a good idea to check out what you want to run and be sure it will work. I'd call the ubiquity of 2.4 GHz devices an advantage for that band.

Two advantages 5 GHz does have over 2.4 are that 1) it carries more data and 2) there's generally less interference at 5 GHz, so its more likely to achieve its potential to carry that extra data. There is a lot more 2.4 GHz traffic out there (cordless phones, microwaves, other wireless networks) so you can end up with slower access if these are causing interference. This is especially an issue in densely-populated areas of big cities. In contrast, the 5 GHz band is generally quite sparsely populated.

For most people, the reason to buy a dual-band router is that you want to watch HD movies or play video games wirelessly. The 5 GHz band is excellent for those data-intense applications, but your router has to be located well to give a good signal. A good setup for those people is to put your video and games on the 5 GHz channels and to run your regular Net surfing and email devices on the 2.4 GHz. Many dual band routers, like the Lynksys E2500, can run those simultaneously so that they don't interfere with each other.

Of course, you're still limited by the speed of the broadband coming into your home, but local traffic (like streaming a movie from a local server) will benefit. People who don't need to stream high bandwidth data, and who just want to check email and surf the web, will do just as well with a less expensive 2.4 GHz router (though this reconditioned price is low enough to justify the purchase even if you don't end up using both bands).

About my Purchase
I'm not usually a fan of buying refurbished products, but I had two 6-month-old Asus rt-n56u routers that both failed and I needed something to use while they were being repaired. (A month later, I'm still waiting... not happy with Asus.) Since I figured it was a temporary solution, and I didn't want to blow a lot of money on it, I picked up this refurbished E2500 and it has worked out great. It's been much more reliable than my Asus routers (even when they were working), so I'm seriously considering just ordering another one of these to put my network back together and just selling the Asus ones if they ever come back from repair. I spent nearly three times what this costs, each, for the Asus routers and what did it get me? I'm coming around to refurbished products. If they don't work when you get them, Amazon is great about returns. If they only last 6 months... well, I'd rather be out $40 for a 6-month lemon than $120, as I was with each of the others.

Update 2/16/2012
I did go ahead and buy another of these and it's working great. The only downside of these versus the ASUS routers is that these won't let me use the 'Internet' port on the second router to connect it to the first, so I have to use up one of my four wired device ports to make the second one into an access point. Still, the signals are strong and they've been reliable. I'm still waiting to get my ASUS routers back from their service center (terrible service), but I'm sticking with these when I do. I'll just sell the ASUS ones when they get back.
4343 comments| 748 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 19, 2011
If your refurbished router still has the name/password from the previous owner, use a pin or paperclip to push the "Reset/Reinitialisation" button on the underside of the router. Hold the button down until all the lights on the back go solid and it is reset. Then reboot the router and start the software program over again and all should be well.

Aside from that one little hitch I just set up the router and it works fine.
44 comments| 193 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 18, 2014
At first I couldn't make it work. It made a wireless network that would not connect to the internet. I put it in a corner for a month, then tried again. What solved my problem was both doing a factory reset via the login (default 192.168.1.1), and changing the IP address to 192.168.0.1. the problem was that this connected to the internet through a powerline ethernet adapter to another router, and the IP was conflicting. It may have worked perfectly as a stand alone, who knows.

As for signal, the 2.4Ghz works fine, no drops within the house, and decent range into the yard. in adjacent rooms I have a speedtest speed of 18Mb down and 5Mb up, this is probably limited by my service, not the router itself. I have not connected to the 5Ghz network yet
on July 12, 2013
I was worried because it was factory refurbished, but everything has been working great for the 2 weeks I've had it setup.

I was having a lot of wi-fi connectivity issues with my Netgear WNR2000 that I purchased years ago. After quite a bit of troubleshooting I figured it was time for a new router.

Sure enough immediately after setup on my network all of my issues were resolved. Connectivity on all devices has been solid and working well. I haven't setup any bandwidth priority devices yet, but I'll update this review once I do.

Devices connected:

Hardwire
2 x PCs
PS3
Xbox 360
Denon AVR 1912 (Receiver)
Panasonic TC-P50VT25 (TV)
Dlink DNS 323 (NAS)
2 x TP Link TL-SF1005D (Switch)
on March 30, 2017
Got this today and noticed a small area on the silver part where the finish is rubbed off showing the black beneath. Not a huge concern as long as it works. Plugged it in and all of the LED's flicker dimmly. No connectivity what so ever. Thanks a lot Linksys Q.C. dept.
review image review image
on April 25, 2013
I am a fan of buying refurbs. I like saving money but I also want quality. This router was purchased to replace an older Cisco router. Every system and device running off this router has better performance than with the old one. This was a great buy. I love not having to reboot the router every other day or so..

Great product, great price, works beautifully. Its a no brainer... I would recommend this router to anyone!
on January 5, 2014
I have a long apartment with the router in the livingroom at one end and the bedroom in the other. My old linksys was not strong enough to get a signal through all the walls in between the router and the bedroom. I did some research and got this one and it did the job perfectly. It also fits and looks much nicer with my TV setup than the old clunky one and took barely any time to install and secure.
on October 14, 2015
A great fast stable router that should last you for years! I have one setup in a 2K sq ft home and one in a 1K sq ft home, and this router works great with no dead spots in both.
on March 29, 2017
Very Happy With My Purchase - Great Price - Speedy Delivery - Would Buy Again!
on February 12, 2014
The router covers a good range with good signal, but it presents some instability. It's not uncommon to need to turn the device off and on to re-establish the communication. I'm still seeing some issues when using AirPlay to stream from iPad to Apple TV.