Lyft Industrial Deals Beauty Most Anticipated Fall Children's Books Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited PCB for Musical Instruments Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held Trade in. Get paid. Go shopping. Tailgating PSFF17_gno
Customer Discussions > Hellraiser forum

Regarding the 1998 Release Found on Amazon

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-2 of 2 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 18, 2007, 2:00:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 19, 2007, 6:46:00 AM PDT
Machrohn says:
I just received my used copy of it today and it is only 93 minutes. According to a fansite, the UK boxed set says 93 minutes uncut. I don't understand how it could be uncut if they are all 93 minutes.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 30, 2008, 10:31:13 AM PDT
Dan says:
To answer your question about the DVD running time of HELLRAISER, I copied the following discussion found elsewhere on this site:

On April 26, 2008
Martin says:

Dan,

I just checked your other reviews and I wanted to know what is missing on the Hellraiser DVD? I have the one that was released in 2000 but didn't notice anything missing. It says it's 93 min. on the back of the box.

On April 27, 2008
Dan says:

According to IMDb and Wikipedia, HELLRAISER's theatrical release running time is 94 mins. All three Anchor Bay DVD releases are 93 mins.

It is my understanding that about one-and-a-half minutes missing, cut a few seconds here, a few seconds there, is most noticeable during the affair at the start of the movie.

On May 31, 2008
RES says:

The Anchor Bay/Starz 2000 and 2007 (20th Anniv. Ed.) DVDs and the old VHS of HELLRAISER all run exactly 93min. 14 sec., as already quoted by another reviewer. The VHS lists 118 min., but that includes the extra features. I saw the film theatrically when it appeared and it is rated "R"; nothing has changed. That said, if one looks at the flashback that opens Anchor Bay's *Unrated* DVD of the sequel HELLRAISER II: HELLBOUND, there are a few graphic shots that are absent from the first film. These were doubtless deleted so the original film could obtain that "R" rating and be seen by a wider audience than if it had been released "unrated." If an actual "Unrated" version of HELLRAISER existed, Anchor Bay would have found and issued it back in 2000 as they did with the sequel; they are always keen to do that. But apparently such a thing does not exist. The "94 minute" running time listed in IMDb (and quoted in wikipedia) reflects their policy of rounding the time up to the next minute; note that IMDb also lists the same "R" rating as the Anchor Bay DVD. Anchor Bay simply chose the more conservative listing of "93 minutes" even though the film is 14 seconds over.

One reviewer elsewhere on this site mentioned that Anchor Bay's UK Region 2 version lists a running time of 93 minutes and says "uncut." That is only relevant for the UK market since the initial UK theatrical release typically must have had more censor-mandated cuts to get its "18" rating than the R-rated US version. That Anchor Bay's UK DVD is "uncut" simply means that it matches the US DVD version, rather than being based on UK sources that had more extensive deletions. Also, note that although a 93-minute theatrical running time is listed on the Region 2 Anchor Bay disc, UK PAL-standard video is transferred 4% fast, so the real time is probably more like 90 minutes there.

On June 5, 2008
Dan says:

Thanks, RES.

If it's the theatrical version, then I'm happy to recommend buying the Anchor Bay DVD of HELLRAISER, a wonderful film.

Again, thanks.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Hellraiser forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  2
Initial post:  Oct 18, 2007
Latest post:  Jul 30, 2008

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

This discussion is about
Hellraiser [VHS]
Hellraiser [VHS] by Andrew Robinson (VHS Tape - 1997)
4.4 out of 5 stars (389)