Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Book House Cleaning TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis Trade it in. Fund the next. Water Sports toystl17_gno

Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

Showing 1-9 of 9 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 76 reviews
on September 1, 2002
This book is written very well. Mr. & Mrs. Eddings polished this story until it shined. I was very impressed with their prose. It was almost as if they were teaching a class in the mechanics of how to write the English language.
Anyways that doesn't even begin to describe a thoroughly engaging story. The only problem I really have with it was the Catholic priest was Irish, literally. Come on, that could have been a little more original, but then again, there are reasons for stereotypes.
Another aspect of this book that is of note, was that I was left with a lot of questions at the end of the story.
I don't think the author's intentions were to leave you hanging. I believe what "really" happened is left to your own interpretation to make you think.
There are going to be people who don't like this book because of that. Much like those people who don't like movies that actually have a point.
I also got the feeling that Mrs. Eddings had a stronger influence on this book than on any other previously except of course, Polgara the Sorceress.
If you are a fan of the Eddings' previous work, you will not be disappointed.
If you are a new fan I recommend starting with the Belgariad or the Elenium, but this is a fine story, and is as good as anything they have written previously.
I enthusiastically look forward to reading anything else they put out.
I take my hat off and bow in their general direction once again.
on July 20, 2016
Not the normal David Eddings story I am used too, it was a book you could put down and pick up at any time, I did read to the end and it held no surprises. Think I will go back to reading the Belgarion series again more my style
on July 23, 2015
Wonderfully good read for all you normies out there. Kept my interest all the way through. was a little predictable in the middle but had a very good surprise at the end.
on July 10, 2015
I have read this book many times and it is still a good read every time.
on May 7, 2015
Way to easy to figure out.
on December 3, 2013
Meh. I love Eddings' work in the realm of Fantasy. Belgariad and Malloreon are my favorite series of all time. I enjoy greatly enjoyed the Redemption of Althalus (I know many people dont' care for it, but I enjoyed it). This book left me feeling bored. I only read the first few chapters before I walked away from it. I just wasn't engaged in the plot. I'm usually one to see a book through to the end, but I realized I just wasn't going to go anywhere with this novel. I read another of Eddings' non-fantasy ventures and felt much the same. That book, The Losers, I did finish but wish I hadn't. I felt this book was going to do much the same.
VINE VOICEon July 19, 2002
I bought this book because of the author. I am a big fan of David Eddings' fantasy novels. When I heard this book was going to be released, I put in on my wish list, and then ultimately pre-ordered it. I didn't think it was going to be that great, since Eddings is pretty much a fantasy author, and his two normal "fiction" novels are usually forgotten when speaking about his bibliography. I put it aside when it arrived, figuring that I'd read it when I was done with summer school and had nothing better to do.
Well, I decided to read it a few days before summer school ended, and I couldn't put it down. I spent hours reading it when I should have been doing my final project. I finally finished it this morning, my first day of true summer vacation, and I loved it.
True, Eddings is a fantasy writer, and maybe shouldn't have wandered into this horror/mystery genre. Besides the witty sayings that are characteristic of Eddings' other novels ("I thought I noticed you noticing," "Be nice," etc.), I almost forgot it was Eddings writing the story. I was so caught up in the story that it didn't bother me that it was not fantasy.
The story line is pretty basic: there are two identical twins that are more than best friends. They are so identical that no one could tell them apart. When one of them is raped and murdered, the surviving twin lapses into their secret language, "twin-speak," and is committed to an asylum. After six months of babbling, the twin wakes up, forgetting who she is and why she was there. She forgets her parents, but remembers Mark Austin, a family friend seven years older than she is. She begins to recover, and then convinces everyone that she is on the road to recovery, and should be allowed to audit classes at the University of Washington, where Mark is a graduate student. Everyone assumes that this twin is Renata, the less-dominant twin, and that Regina was the one murdered (conveniently, the twins' footprints taken at birth were lost, and since they have identical DNA, no one can be sure which twin survived).
The story takes a different turn when Renata (who insists on being called "Twinkie," Mark's petname for the twins, and pushes the murder of her sister, or that she even had a sister, as far away from her reality as possible) arrives to take classes at U.W. She begins to have nightmares, and, finally, during the second half of the book, Mark realizes that these nightmares might be connected to a serial killer in Seattle. (All of this is described on the book, so I'm really not spoiling anything.)
So, what's wrong with the book? The only thing I could complain about is how the twins conveniently cannot be told apart. I think that perfectly identical twins are pretty near impossible, and only thing that can tell them apart (their footprints) are lost. Hmm. But then again, I don't really know. The second problem is that the plot about the murderer really isn't discussed until the second half of the book, therefore making the first half of the book completely different from the second. The first half may not have as much "plot" as the second half, especially for people looking for those horror/mystery books. I don't think this was a major problem, but some may.
I strongly recommend this book, both to those who are Eddings fans, and those who just want a good book to read this summer.
on October 27, 2014
A beautiful work (and especiallypoignant for me). An amazing crime thriller, with a beautiful super natural twist. I will miss the Eddings' wonderful contributions in the future.
on July 5, 2013
This is not a typical David Eddings book . But it is a well written, thought provoking book and I really love the characters.