Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Regular Show: The Complete First & Second Seasons
Your Garage Up to 80 Percent Off Textbooks Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Gemini Syndrome Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

Format: DVD|Change

on April 11, 2013
With the slack pack it started, the shameless attempt
To exploit us - the Regular Fans.
But most of us ruled these sad products exempt
From purchase, and worked on our tans.

"Relent" we did cry, "Cease this shameless attempt
"To separate us from our cash".
"No chance" the execs said with sneering contempt,
"You'll buy what we tell you, you trash"!

"Never!", we cried, "Not the packs slack
"Nor party, nor even the best in the world!
"Buy THAT? Are you high? On meth or on crack?"
And we sneered in return, our lips curled:

"These random selections are not what we need!
"You greed-heads sure do have some gall!
"You all must be mad, or just maddened with greed!
"We'll buy seasons or nothing at all!"

As our wallets stayed shut they'd no choice but to cave,
And the Regular Fans did rejoice!
Two seasons in one means a bundle we'll save,
The execs finally gave us our choice!

The ending is clear - you know how it goes:
So really, we've already won.
And of course, you all know who else loves this show:
Yes, that too must be clear: it's...

MY MOM!!!

***

And now, once again, here's a cut and paste of my review of the actual show:

The ironically named "Regular Show" deals with the adventures of two young adult slackers whose main aim in life seems to be coasting through their jobs as park groundskeepers while doing as little actual work as possible. Given that this is a cartoon, it isn't terribly surprising that these characters are anthropomorphic animals: the central pair are Mordecai, a blue-jay, and Rigby, a racoon. However, once we depart from that launching point things grow progressively more strange. For example, their boss at the park is Benson: a walking, talking gumball machine. Occasionally we even get to hear the gumballs rattling around inside this decidedly sour personality! Nevertheless, ordinary humans too are also often found wandering through this rather odd universe.

The stories generally start out with Mordecai and Rigby facing a relatively mundane problem, such as wanting to slack off work and go play video games. However, things quickly spiral into surreal, and potentially even apocalyptic madness. If this series has a flaw, it is that many of the episodes can be a bit formulaic in this regard. That said, they are certainly no more formulaic than most shows on television, and in any event, it would probably be fair to say that this formulaic quality only stands out because the show really is so original and exceptional on just about every other level.

The artwork in Regular Show is also rather interesting. In many ways it quite clearly takes its cues from some of the better quality, hipper animation from the early 1970's. We're not quite talking Fritz the Cat here, but we're also light-years away from the old Hanna Barbera stuff. On a purely visual level it actually bears more than a passing similarity to many of the very early original animated segments used in Sesame Street. Sesame Street aside, for many viewers the most familiar reference point will be the old 1990's Nicktoon Hey Arnold!, which likewise clearly alluded to this same artistic linage. The style of art in Regular Show is very similar to that found in Hey Arnold!, except that in Regular Show the colors tend to be lighter, the coloring more solid, and the overall composition less dense. Of course, this lighter, more spacious composition is entirely fitting for a cartoon set largely in parkland rather than urban sprawl.

What's also interesting about this show is that contrasted against the 1970's influenced artwork, many of the technological and pop cultural references within the show are drawn from the 1980's. For example, audio and VHS cassettes feature prominently, and in one episode we even get to revisit the New Kids on the Block. The video games Mordecai and Rigby are forever so focused upon also tend to have a decidedly 1980's feel to them. If you're a mature viewer, I think you'll find that it's a show that repackages and reimagines many of your old memories, often in quite surprising ways.

If you have any interest in animation at all, you HAVE to check out this show.

Theo.
2525 comments| 118 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 21, 2013
JG Quintel has created a modern masterpiece. Regular Show is the best animated series since the creation of The Simpsons. The voice talent is original and superb. What I find most appealing is that the writing focuses on good humor as well as a "few" off color jokes. Other animated shows, Family Guy in particular, try too hard to be controversial rather than funny.

I was interested in buying the "Party Pack" and the other individual DVDs, but Cartoon Network and Warner Bros. really came through and gave fans what they wanted. I hope they will follow with other FULL seasons because this is a show I will collect until the end.

The set contains some cool special features and great, clear audio. I also love the inclusion of the end theme which Cartoon Network dubs over with upcoming show content. The commentary is interesting because this is one of those programs where you may wonder what they were thinking (in a good way).

Hopefully, future DVD collections will contain some live readings from Comic-Con, or more insight into the voice talent. Quintel's short film "2 in the AM/PM" would be fantastic too, but that one really isn't for the kids.

Bravo to all involved, thank you for releasing it. Yea-yuh!
on March 17, 2013
Previous DVDs of this show would be presented in a form of single discs with random episodes from various seasons. (a partial norm of CN's distributions) Good things come to those who wait, and it now shows.

The show itself is, thankfully, one of the best CN shows out there. The title may sound like just a regular show... but that's what you would least expect. The humor and characters (along with very solid casting) are the aspects that make this show what it is. While it shouldn't be shown to very young kids (hence the TV-PG rating), the humor is spot-on to older kids and adults. Along with Adventure Time, this show is definitely worth seeing. Buying the show in season form is definitely a highest recommendation.
on April 5, 2013
Finally Warner Brothers Figured it out . They finally know what we want! Screw the Slack Pack! Hopefully they'll keep releasing them in this format.
on August 13, 2013
Season 1 and 2 are the reason I fell in love with regular show. I noticed after I purchased this that the re-runs of these episodes were edited, but I wasn't too upset because I assumed they would keep these in tact....they didn't. The slack pack set is still unedited, however I really wanted a full release of the seasons. They edited all sorts of things that gave it the charm that made me start watching it. For example Rigby's line "How the H are we gonna fix this S" was edited to say "How the heck are we gonna fix this stuff" (and it sounds edited and horrible) . This is unacceptable and they lost a fan.
44 comments| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 23, 2014
Regular Show the show gets 5 stars. Regular Show the bluray release gets 3. While I like that all the episodes fit on a single disc - perfect for marathoning it - I wish that there were more special features put into the disc. I also wish that when the play all feature is selected that every episode didn't play the opening theme. Finally, the Ultraviolet copy can only be redeemed on Flixster, not Vudu. That may not be a big deal to most people, but as someone whose entire UV collection is on Vudu that is something I wish were different.
on October 7, 2013
oh my goodness, having two whole seasons in one package is quite a deal and while the special features are fairly limited they are rather interesting as they show a lot that goes on behind the show as does the commentary.
on July 17, 2013
I have already ordered this product, But CN has made a tremendous mistake. Now The episode "Meat Your Maker" Will be censored forever.
44 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 29, 2014
Cartoon Network has been extremely notorious of late for selling "packs" DVD's of Regular Show, Adventure Time and many others. These packs were completely unsatisfactory as they only had a handful of randomely selected episodes that were completely out of order. While the episodes are still great by themselves, you completely miss the whole experience from the character/story development that you get when you watch them all in order.

FINALLY they put them all in order in a DVD with the first two COMPLETE SEASONS! I cannot even say how happy I was to see this DVD coming out. I won't go into detail about the show itself (you can find that plenty of other places) but I will just say that as an avid fan of both Regular Show, Adventure Time, and shows past, immensely enjoyed/am enjoying this DVD!
on September 9, 2013
Regular Show is an insane cartoon that I think reaches out to the interests of not only children, but their parents as well. I started watching this show with my daughters simply because it followed Adventure Time (another gem) on Cartoon Network's schedule. The weird references and jokes that are simple enough for the kids to laugh at, but will also appeal to parents that were born in the early '80's. My personal favorite part of Regular show is waiting for the episode to go bat $#!T crazy around the halfway point. No matter how straight forward the story may seem, it will happen.

As for the blu ray collection, you are purchasing both the first and second season in one package. The first season is short so I am happy they released it this way. If you are a fan of the show, or just obscure references in your cartoons, I say this is a definite purchase.