- Paperback: 406 pages
- Publisher: CreateSpace Independent Publishing Platform (January 5, 2017)
- Language: English
- ISBN-10: 1541137132
- ISBN-13: 978-1541137134
- Product Dimensions: 6 x 0.9 x 9 inches
- Shipping Weight: 1.5 pounds (View shipping rates and policies)
- Average Customer Review: 4.4 out of 5 stars See all reviews (143 customer reviews)
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #35,250 in Books (See Top 100 in Books)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Reinvent Yourself Paperback – January 5, 2017
See the Best Books of 2017 So Far
Looking for something great to read? Browse our editors' picks for the best books of the year so far in fiction, nonfiction, mysteries, children's books, and much more.
Frequently bought together
Customers who bought this item also bought
About the Author
James Altucher has started over 20 businesses and failed at 17 of them. He is an active angel investor and is invested in over 30 companies. He has written 18 books, including a children's book, "My Daddy Owns All of Outer Space", and the bestselling book, "Choose Yourself". He is a ranked chess master, a proud father, and his podcasts, including "The James Altucher Show" have had over 50 million downloads.
What others have said about James Altucher:
From a NY Times profile of James:
"James is on a very personal journey. He's telling you the story on Saturday, on Sunday he's talking about how it failed, and on Monday he's talking about doing it a different way." - Brian Koppelman, co-creator of the TV show, "Billions".
"James is the Oprah of the Internet" - Kamal Ravikant, author of "Rebirth", "Love Yourself", and a venture capitalist.
Other testimonials from prior books:
What I like about James and his book is you can tell he came from a roller coaster. He chose his own path to success without knowing the outcome. And what happens to him later - well... - (Dick Costolo, former CEO of Twitter)
Altucher has turned his misfortune into a source of wisdom and comfort for the despondent. - (Business Week)
James Altucher is scary smart - (Stephen Dubner, co-author of Freakonomics)
James Altucher is the best blogger of our generation. - (Timothy Sykes, The Rebel Millionaire)
We are beginning to build a massive amount of respect for James Altucher due to his willingness to say things that will get him absolutely pilloried by the masses. - (Business Insider)
James is one of the most successful and content people I know. - (Machael Lazerow, founder of Buddy Media and Golf.com)
If you need to see an example of vulnerability done well, just read the work of James Altucher. - (Search Engine Journal)
If you buy a new print edition of this book (or purchased one in the past), you can buy the Kindle edition for only $0.99 (Save 50%). Print edition purchase must be sold by Amazon. Learn more.
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
If you are a seller for this product, would you like to suggest updates through seller support?
Top Customer Reviews
I enjoyed reading Reinvent Yourself. The book is packed with useful advice. Here are eight of my favorite quotes:
1. We are what we experience every day - “You are not just the average of the five people around you. You’re the average of the five habits you do, the things you eat, the ideas you have, the content you consume, etc.”
2. “Learning never stops. Many people die at 25 but are not put in the coffin until 75. The learning stopped for them early.”
3. Quantity often leads to quality - “Try many things. One thing I realized is that quantity equals quality. People think it’s one or the other but it’s not. When you have a quantity of ideas and things you are trying, you will find quality.”
4. On mentoring - “Believe it or not, sometimes it’s just as good (often better) to read all of their materials rather than be directly mentored.”
5. On how to be creative - “People say, “Everything has already been written.” Everything has already been said. But that’s a lie. I think every outline has already been written. But each human has a unique fingerprint. Just putting that fingerprint on an outline makes it yours, different, unique. And through practice and vulnerability, you make that fingerprint something others want to see.”
6. On how to sell - “If I want to sell an idea, if I want to convince, if I want someone to like to me, I have to figure out how to connect.”
7. On how to find your unique niche - “It’s hard to be the greatest at any one endeavor, but by combining passions, it’s much easier to be the greatest in the world at the intersections of those passions (because there are billions of things that can intersect, you can find your own place in the “long tail of passion” to be the master of).”
8. “But the only thing that gets results is action. Not a single ounce of greatness in history ended with thoughts. It happened with hands. With actions.”
That got me thinking…even if Tony Robbins called me right now and said, “Dawn, come down here for a month and study with me,” I’d hesitate and prepare to turn down the opportunity of a lifetime.
I’d ask myself, “Oh no, what will my boss say?”
I wonder how many “opportunities of a lifetime” I’ve turned down for real?
“Reinvent Yourself” is about putting a stop to all that, about learning to say “yes” to what’s best for me without limits. When I do, I know that’s when the magic happens.
In “Reinvent Yourself” James Altucher tells stories and discusses ways to freedom through the use of creativity, cultivating relationships, and continuously building and layering on new skills.
This got me thinking more. I’m an adult. I’ve had a few careers and am headed for a few more.
As I finished “Reinvent Yourself,” I thought, “This is what we must teach in schools. This is what works…” As an educator, I’ve seen it. I’ve seen kids sleep over handouts and testing but come alive when I say, “Here’s how I use this to make money. You can, too…” and “Go, build it. For real.”
American students are getting less and less creative because they’re tested and standardized to death. Their teachers don’t take risks because they’re constantly being measured and everyone’s afraid they won’t hit “the numbers.” It’s a cycle of stagnation and status quo. Let’s break out of that--teach them to create instead of obey.
That’s what “Reinvent Yourself,” used correctly, has the power to do.
I’ve taught with James Altucher’s “Choose Yourself” in high school classes before. I’ll use “Reinvent Yourself” for sure. If kids and adults are destined to have so many more careers in this economy, I’d be negligent not teaching students how to prepare.
This book reminds me to keep growing wings, and to teach next generation how to fly.
“Your legacy is not what you do. It’s what the people who you teach do.” That’s my favorite quote from “Reinvent Yourself.” I’ll be putting that up on my desk today.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
On the contrary, there is everything that I absolutely love about, James Altucher in his...Read more