Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire HD 8, starting at $79.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports STEMClubToys17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 150 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 181 reviews
on April 21, 2014
So as I was starting to consider running an ultra, this was a great book to have picked up. In some chapters, I want to cry before even considering starting training, but in most, it makes the people seem so much more human than some of the books I've read on the topic before. Mostly because most books are written by or about the top runners, so their "slow ultra speed" is my sprint speed, while this book shows a more human side to it all, without making it sound like it'll be a walk in the park. Highly recommend this to anyone considering doing an ultra.
on July 26, 2012
Let me get this out before I say anything else: those solely looking for a page turner need not apply. This book does not function as a story; as it says in the title, its a guide. I bought this book just because I had read just about everything else about running, so I figured why not. Although I am slowly making a foray into ultramarathons, I was not thinking of using the book as it was intended for, merely, something to hold me over until I found the next great read. I took me a month to finish the book. Powell definitely does not embellish his writing here, just right to the point.

Now my next point: This book exceeds its job as a guide to ultramarathons. It contains an exhaustive list of subjects to prepare the reader for their big race, ranging from the 50k to the 100 miler and beyond. I found myself nodding my head with inquisitive satisfaction quite often. I would highly recommend this book to anyone looking at their first ultra, or even to those veterans looking to add some refinement to their training.
on December 28, 2012
This is a great "guide" or "textbook" with information on ultrarunning. I don't know if anything I read in here is "new" per se, as I have been in training for ultras for the past year and continually read new things online, but I have to say that the compilation of this information is amazing! I love how it is set up like a textbook and you can look up information by topic, and it makes sense!

I ordered the Kindle version, and it has all pictures and training charts included - I saw that someone else said it didn't. Well, mine did, and I might try out the training plans for my upcoming 50 miler. I really like Bryon Powell's acceptance that running ultras is NORMAL, and ANYONE can complete one. Being new to the sport of ultrarunning, though I have been running for the past 20 years, I am still a little nervous about my first attempt at 50 miles. This book provides ample affirmation that I can do it.

This is absolutely a book I will read and reference often for many, many years!
on July 12, 2011
I have been running marathons for the past several years and became interested in trying an ultra last fall. Over several months I searched for books with information specific to ultra running and finally found "Relentless Forward Progress".

I thought the book provided some very useful information unique to training for and completing an ultra event. Specifically in providing training plans for various ultra events and introducing me to B2B (back 2 back) training runs and hydration/electrolyte replacement beyond just drinking sports drink.

I ran my first ultra last March before purchasing this book based on a modified marathon training plan. I stumbled on to some ultra training based on bits and pieces I had picked up in magazines. "Relentless Foreard Progress" validated that I was on the right track and provided the detail I needed to create a good training plan for the ultra event I will be running in September.
on December 9, 2014
This was a well-written and very informative book. Anyone who is looking to run that first ultramarathon would to well to give this one a read. The advice is very practical and easy to understand. Training plans, nutrition, race strategy, and more are all given enough space for runners to be well-prepared.

More experienced runners, especially those who have already read other books with training advice, may find much of the information merely a review of what they already know--even if they haven't tackled a race beyond the marathon distance.
on April 17, 2017
I bought this book years ago and devoured it in 2 days. I still haven't seen another book on the subject which is nearly as detailed. Bryon has been in the field for many years.
on August 7, 2012
This book is fantastic, I highly recommend it to anyone wanting information on trail/ultra running. I am learning to trail run and am hoping to run an Ultra. I found this book a very fun and interesting read. I do not know if this book would be interesting to an experienced ultra/trail runner but it was for me. Starting to run trails leads to lots of questions. This book did a good job of answering most of the questions I had. I liked the information on identifying health issues (hydration, electrolyte levels, etc.) interesting and like having a information to help identify when I am doing things wrong and what the cause may be. The training plans also seemed very good and were explained very well, including how to customize them depending on your goals and training style. I found the book a quick read with lots of information. I think this book has helped jump-start my experience.
on January 4, 2015
I really like this book. It's clear that Bryon Powell has a gift for talking to those average people like me who dream of running farther but are intimidated by the prospects and just not sure whether it's possible. His IRunFar website has us in mind and this book is a natural, very inviting extension of that same voice and personality. He includes training plans, but even those are tempered by the primary message he gives away in the book's title: the best way to run farther is to keep putting one foot in front of the other.
on February 8, 2012
I purchased this book looking for some inspiration and practical advice on running an ultra-marathon. I am a triathlete looking to concentrate solely on running, and specifically ultras, so I needed something that could satisfy my detail oriented (obsessive compulsive) triathlete brain while giving me some touchy-feely, "you can do it!" type encouragement. I really liked the tidbits from experts in each chapter (especially the section on footcare from John Vonhof). The training program prescribed in the book has been a great tool which has given me the confidence to keep moving ahead with relentless forward progress toward my first 50k (2012 Ohlone Wilderness Trail Run).
on August 17, 2015
I have read the book before but I wanted my own copy I could wear out so my I did not wear out my dads copy from borrowing his.

I love the info, mostly trail related but that is because trail running in general takes more preparation and a different outlook then a road race. A nice book that may seem a bit dated because it has another chapter by a different author on barefoot and minimalist running. I do like how the book talks about the gear without mentioning models which is good because those change so frequently now with advancements in technology. I do wish it took more time to explain water packs/vests, hydration belts, and, handhelds the way they did with trail shoes. I wish it went into more detail on climbing and descending but it goes into detail that using poles at races that allow them can help with climbing and descending.