- File Size: 3201 KB
- Print Length: 267 pages
- Page Numbers Source ISBN: 1515130797
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Amourisa Press (October 22, 2013)
- Publication Date: October 22, 2013
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B00G90S4JY
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #534,692 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$15.99|
Save $11.00 (69%)
Reluctant Companion (After The End Book 1) Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 267 pages||Word Wise: Enabled||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled|
|Page Flip: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $1.99
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
- Similar books to Reluctant Companion (After The End Book 1)
"Enlightenment Now: The Case for Reason, Science, Humanism, and Progress"
Is the world really falling apart? Is the ideal of progress obsolete? Cognitive scientist and public intellectual Steven Pinker urges us to step back from the gory headlines and prophecies of doom, and instead, follow the data: In seventy-five jaw-dropping graphs, Pinker shows that life, health, prosperity, safety, peace, knowledge, and happiness are on the rise. Learn more
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
Top customer reviews
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I was hesitant to buy this because I was worried that it would be a sex based story rather than a character driven romance AND I read the 2 star review. That review almost persuaded me against my purchase because of the way the hero was described. He didn't seem appealing AT ALL - but I decided to read the preview and I liked that so much that I went ahead and took a chance and bought the book. I am so glad that I did. This was such a great book! I loved it!! Here's what I loved...
1. The story - wow! The story was so interesting and the world was 100% believable. I was THERE! Basically, the H sees h and immediately wants her. She has no choice. Soldiers take her from her family home and she is "prepared" for him. She is not happy about this. She is cleaned up, pampered and dressed in fine clothes. Then they have dinner together and afterwards he seduces her even though she tells him she doesn't want to sleep with him. She was a virgin. He keeps her in his bed all night, something he has never done before and decides to take her with him back to Seattle-Archer. She is not happy about it. She decides to try to escape but isn't given the opportunity until later in the story...an opportunity she seizes! He of course comes after her, rescues her and brings her back. She lives in luxury and is given whatever she wants EXCEPT her freedom. He gets angry if she even mentions it. He is very possessive of her. Their relationship grows and he dotes on her until an uprising occurs, a bomb goes off that kills some people and she's implicated. He believes she's responsible and has her imprisoned. After he finds out she was innocent, he totally grovels until finally we get a HEA. The groveling didn't take up a lot of pages but the author noted the passage of time within the story.
2. The romance - this is a true classic romance (albeit somewhat dark at times)...i.e. reluctant heroine being held by the gorgeous alpha hero who will give her anything she wants but her freedom. (Loved it!) I read all types of romance but a true character driven romance is my favorite and that is exactly what Ms. Tunstall delivered. The relationship began based totally on Tiernan's sexual attraction for Madison and then it actually develops and grows. I loved experiencing the growth that this couple went through as they fell in love. It was romantic, believable and enjoyable to read.
3. The characters - they were well developed and felt so real to me. The pain and anguish that Madison went through when Tiernan did imprison her and refused to believe in her was so intense and well written that I teared up and yes a few even escaped. It was unbelievably engrossing! When Tiernan finally came to realize Madison was innocent, she made him suffer, and suffer, and suffer! I would've been so disappointed if Madison would've just forgiven him at his first heartfelt apology. I really appreciated that the author made the hero grovel for so long. It made the story so much more poignant and real.
What I disliked about this book....nothing! However, some might object to the following:
1. There is a near rape scene (she is rescued before it occurs), that might be a trigger for some.
2. There is forced seduction in the beginning.
3. The H is very OTT controlling/possessive/jealous. If you don't like that type of H, you won't like this.
4. H imprisons h for a brief time towards the end. (This was emotionally gripping for me. It was very well written. Her sorrow/pain - wow!)
5. This is NOT a sweet romance. The H was mean at times. He is non PC. (Politically Correct.)
If you are ok with the above mentioned things and are looking for a well-written post-apocalyptic story that has a strong, possessive/jealous non PC alpha male, AND a character driven romance, then I recommend you read this book.
SPOILER ALERT!!!- He had her imprisoned and was going to have her executed until he found out she was pregnant. He didn't care a thing about her. All because he had gotten his feelings hurt!!! Honestly don't have any sympathy for him at all nor do I understand why she loved him or how she could get past all that. End Spoiler.
The story had me tense and unhappy the whole time. It did have a happy ending but a few pages at the very end did not make up for the rest of my disappointment.
Spoilerish part ahead...
What kept this from being five stars was how quick the men in her life believed the worst about her. The hero who didn't know her all that well maybe, but family members? Not very loyal, but I suppose true to life. I get it about conflict and the hero's upbringing, but for a man in love, he seemed very quick to punish in a bad way. Just my opinion, though.
I just love series like that...hopefully we will get more stories in this series
to finish the book in one night :)
Cannot wait for the next installment!! There will be one,right????
Most recent customer reviews