Beauty Best Books of the Month STEM nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Starting at $39.99 Wickedly Prime Handmade Wedding Rustic Decor Shop Popular Services TheTick TheTick TheTick  Introducing Echo Show All-New Fire 7 Kids Edition, starting at $99.99 Kindle Oasis GNO Water Sports toystl17_gno

Showing 1-10 of 1,180 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 1,425 reviews
on June 6, 2015
I love it is good but you have to use it 3 times to understand or get help for me is very easy to use, remember there is no style to cut is just one size only. if you like it.
review image
on November 21, 2015
It's NOT the batteries that are the problem for many of you. It's physics. Friction is robbing your little clipper of it's ability to cut. Here's what you can do about it.

While we have all become accustomed to the idea of zero-maintenance products, this is NOT one of them. This is a battery powered clipper. That means that energy has to be efficiently transferred from the battery to the motor that has to power the oscillating blades. That's quite a job and thus those blades need to move with as little mechanical resistance as possible. How do you think an accumulation of tiny fragments of your hair affects this process? After just a few haircuts your little bits of hair are now clinging all over the blades and between them absorbing the lubricating oil and generally just increasing the friction across the board. After only a few cuts the pitch of the sound coming out of the clipper will drop noticeably. With each cut it just keeps getting slower convincing many that the batteries are failing.

What to do? Hmm... I know read the manual.

In said manual you will find a section on cleaning. There you will note that when the length attachment and blade guards are removed you can actually run the front of the clipper under warm water to clear out all the junk. Following a nice overnight drying period you can then use the included oil bottle to place 2 or 3 drops of light oil across the blades. Then turn it on and let that oil work in. You will be amazed at the difference. I think my Short Cut sounded higher-pitched after that first cleaning than when I first bought it. It now appears to hold a charge much longer because it isn't fighting a zillion tiny bits of hair while doing it's job.

Try it and you'll have a totally different opinion of the Short Cut. As clippers go there is nothing like it. I can give myself a full cut in only minutes and keep things nice and neat whenever I choose.

This thing paid for itself in no time. Great clipper. Get one, use it, keep it clean.
on September 8, 2015
This has been a huge upgrade for me. I've been "shaving" my head using the traditional WAHL style clippers, mostly not using any of the comb attachments, or using #1 sometimes, and also using no mirrors for more than 10 years. I was able to minimize the time required to 10 mins on average. I like the buzz cut, as some people called it here, not the razor shave. I did razor shave my head using traditional shavers as well as using a straight razor (I still use that one for regular facial shaves) a few times, but never liked how it felt, or the burning sensation afterwards, or nicks, or need for a shaving cream, or need for aftershave care products, or need for multiple mirrors, or 20 minutes minimum time required...etc. A buzz cut feels great and no mess and in less time.

Those WAHL clippers usually worked fine for me for years and was thinking this set up would be as good as it gets. And Yes, a few negatives of that set up, like a few forgotten small hair patches here and there, were not so bad. Also, with those clippers, I could not shave very often, like weekly, because the chance I'd have those small patches increases a lot. At least it did for me because I couldn't tell the difference between shaven and unshaven areas especially with no mirrors. So, anytime I tried shaving weekly, it took me forever to have an acceptable cut.

I saw the Remington Shortcut and wanted to give it a try. And WOW, what a difference. Here is what the pro differences I saw after using it a few times:
- Shaving time cut to 4-5 mins. Unbelievable. I think the most contributed to this is being able to cut both ways and having a curved blade unlike traditional clippers.
- No patches whatsoever. Zero, Nada :) Again, curved blade is probably the reason.
- No cables, so no need for extension cords, no tackling with them anymore...etc. Yay!
- Easy cleanup with cold water. No mess at all. You can't do that with traditional clippers, and they take forever to clean with a brush and hair everywhere afterwards. I hated it.

And here are the few points I'd consider as future improvements not as negatives :) :
- Better battery life and shorter recharge. That's not an issue for me at all since it's always on power except when I'm using it for 4-5 minutes at a time, but I can see benefits of being able to taking it with you to your travels and not having to wait for a recharge when you need it there. Like the soldier that used it while deployed.
- Better placement of the power button and pop-up trimmer. I did have the occasional unintended power-ons some other users experienced trying to get the pop-up trimmer to pop up.

Overall, this is a huge improvement for me. I'd recommend this to all shavers out there. I can't tell anything about all other type of cuts longer than the short cut comb on and level set to lowest #1.
on May 20, 2016
Bought this remington clipper as a gift for my husband who was, at that time, cutting his own hair. He used it few times with no complaints, and told me it was super easy to just give yourself a haircut without going anywhere or paying someone to do it.
The trimmer head has a comb-like surface, so what you actually do is just combing thru your hair, after selecting the correct length.After you are done using it, there is a included brush which you can use to clean out the unit, or you can just simply wash the blade part out.
There is also a little pop up trimmer for those hard to reach spots around your ears. And unit is rechargeable, which makes it super easy to have it ready for the next time.
My husband actually ended up wearing his hear little longer than before and he found a great hairstylist, so i didn't see him use this in forever.
He was very satisfied with it at the time.
on February 6, 2014
The clipper works great most of the time.

It's not always clear if it's being charged, is fully charged, or what in the world is going on with the charging system.

It seems confused as well. Sometime it will start up with a great deal of cutting enthusiasm and sometime it barely works and will not cut even though I have had it on the charging station for 2-3 days.

So there I am sitting in a chair with barber's cape etc. and my wife is unable to proceed at that time. Very disappointing.

Had one previously and it had the same problem. The charging light stopped working after 1 month. This clipper lasted 1 year then stopped working altogether.
on November 22, 2015
I usually post product reviews if something is fantastic or terrible. This clipper falls in the fantastic category. After having purchased 4 other clippers, I was getting annoyed at how difficult it is to get a good trim at home, alone. I have purchased professional clippers that cost well over $100 which was loud, heavy, required oiling the blades after every single use, the metal piece would get so hot it would burn me. I also bought cheaper clippers that wasn't so loud but having to shave over the same area over and over again because one patch of hair couldn't be gotten no matter which angle you used. Plus your arms would get tired and if you wanted to change length you had to hope you didn't misplace the plastic extensions. I saw this Remington clipper and read the reviews, went to youtube to check out reviews there, and was left feeling like these are some cheap gimmick. But alas, I got so fed up with all my other clippers that I came back to Amazon to look at this again -- the curved blade to me seemed like it could possibly work nicely, because all the others are straight and when you are cutting a curved surface the straight ones are hard to line up. They require multiple passes in the same place. I didn't want to spend another 30 minutes trying to shave my own head with tired arms and frustration growing. So I ordered this Remington curved blade clippers. So here I am with a these clippers and after making sure they were charged, I read the instruction manual (super simple: use these like a comb - in the back go up and down, on the top go side to side). So within 3 MINUTES from pressing the power button on, to turning the power button off, my haircut was DONE!!!!!!! Perfect. Gosh that was sublimely simple to give myself the perfect 1/18" close cut. I checked the curved blade with the curvature of my head, and in every spot on my head the curvature matched perfectly, so it didn't require multiple passes in the same area. If you have someone who can cut your hair for you, maybe one of the other traditional clippers will suffice, but if you want to do your own you should seriously consider these.
on April 22, 2012
EDIT: **TWO years of weekly use and still works as new!!** Remember to oil before each use and thoroughly clean with a brush after. And always fully charge before using. Would love to see Remington to release a new model with USB charging of this item (They have it in other models).

ORIGINAL REVIEW:

After the mixed reviews, I waited for a year and about 40 uses to write mine.

I use this clipper every weekend, at 1, 1.5, 2 or 3, depending on the mood. Usually 1.5. In my case it works great, I have very thick hair and the blades chop it without problem. However, if I let my hair grow a bit more that the usual (2-3 weeks) and I want to use the shortest sizes, the clipper will have a hard time (And so do I), but in the end it can do the work.

Regarding the maintenance I have found out that:

1) You need to charge it ALWAYS. The motor requires the battery to be in its top capacity. I tried using the clipper until it really needed recharging but the motor couldn't keep working. ALWAYS CHARGE the clipper after using it. Because the battery is Lithium-Ion it can hold the charge adequately for at least a week in my case.
2) Also, ALWAYS clean and oil the clipper: Before using it I add a drop or two of oil for each centimeter along the blades. After using it I take a small brush, take out the guide and brush it through. I haven't even gone through half the oil bottle included, a recommended replacement would be 3-in-1.

There are some cons, one is the charging adapter, it is 120V only, if I need to travel to somewhere else where the voltage is 100V or 220/240V, it will not work. This isn't a travel friendly item. (However Remington has a USB rechargeable clipper on their catalog!). Also it doesn't let to use the clipper while charging. The battery isn't replaceable.

Everything taken into account, this is a great item, for me it only needs a 100-240V international adapter, a replaceable battery and it will be even better.

I wrote to Remington about the adapter, they just said something along the lines of "Buy another one wherever you go". I don't know if they have it available everywhere.
on September 21, 2015
I have had this thing for over 3 years now and it just finally died. Everyone who complains about the battery here is how I got the most out of my unit.

1. Use a good clipper lubricant like Kool Lube before each cut. I also spray it on during a cut when I hear the clipper start struggling. It brings it right back to life.
2. Clean it after each cut. Brush the hair out etc. Only takes a minute.
3. After every 3 or 4 cuts, turn it on and leave it on until it dies. The battery in this thing isn't spectacular, so it needs conditioning every now and then. Turn it on, leave it on the counter and let the battery die. Then recharge it fully over night.

I did this regularly and my clippers lasted 3+ years. I will definitely buy again.
on May 3, 2013
So simple. So fast. And perfect every single time.

No muss, no fuss, and at only $30 it's an easy decision.

Nice barber style cutters are great, but this has a nice wide, curved blade that cuts in both directions, and that's a huge benefit you won't REALLY appreciate til you try it.

I wondered when I first opened it whether it could deliver an even and very close cut, whether it was really of that quality.

Best $30 I've spent in a long time. This really simplifies life. And if the rechargeable batteries don't last as many reviewers claim, there are better models for a bit more.

I will qualify this review by stating that I've only used it at the closest setting (1 = 1/8"). On that setting it works really well.

Love it.

I'm adding this after owning and using this product for approximately 5 months.
I have had zero battery issues. I bought 2 so that I can let the battery run out completely before charging it, which should help tremendously with battery life.

It can't be used when the charger is plugged in, so I just grab the other one and let the dead one charge fully until the blue charge light turns on.

I've recommended this product to many, most of whom have used regular barber clippers for years, and they all love it.

Mark
HB, Ca.
on December 23, 2013
After going through the initial hair loss and thinning process, my hair was beginning to look like a birds nest (depending on which way the wind happened to be blowing). So, I decided to keep it short. Incidentally, I have a flowbee that I bought back in 1996 and it still works great!! I bought this little guy for something portable, quick, and not requiring a great deal of effort to setup. I Love It! I take it outside and it takes about ten minutes. It gives me a very neat cut and If you have someone that can trim behind your ears and the back of your neck... you just can't get a better haircut. You'll certainly save some bucks on barber visits. Two months now and it is holding up fine. It says you can rinse it under running water to clean out the hair, but I didn't feel comfortable with that so I blew it out with my compressor, and then gave it a light oiling after each use. But if you use it once a week or so, you don't get much hair in it and you can just blow it out by mouth... then oil. I'm sure I will eventually wear it out, but I'll gladly buy another.