Hill Climb Racing 2 Industrial Deals Beauty Best Books of the Month Shop new men's suiting nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Learn more about Amazon Music Unlimited GNO for iPhone 8 Starting at $39.99 Grocery Handmade Tote Bags Home Gift Guide Off to College Home Gift Guide Book a house cleaner for 2 or more hours on Amazon Transparent Transparent Transparent  Introducing Echo Show Introducing All-New Fire HD 10 with Alexa hands-free $149.99 Kindle Oasis, unlike any Kindle you've ever held GNO Tailgating FFII_gno

Format: DVD|Change

Showing 1-10 of 235 reviews(Verified Purchases). See all 281 reviews
on December 30, 2014
This is one of Danny DeVito's very best films. Unfortunately, I never see it on TV so I bought it for my husband for Christmas. He's very happy with his gift. The social commentary regarding functionally illiteracy is very relevant today. The film suggests that one way to solve this massive problem is to introduce children and teens to great literature in a way that it speaks to them. The characters are easy to identify with and one cheers them on in their desire to change their lives.
on February 24, 2017
Formulaic old-balls make good story, but Shakespeare never gets old. DeVito shows that he's good at being crass (he had a lot of practice on the series Taxi), but he does Mr Nice Guy even better.
on October 1, 2016
I have a foster boy who is a professor and this movie is really him. Just had to purchase one top send to him. One of my favorites because of the message it sends to teachers and students.
on September 6, 2014
This movie is an all time favorite of mine. Though the technology in the movie dates it somewhat, the story holds up. Worth the buy, and is a wonderful movie to watch on Veterans' Day or Memorial Day.

Mark Wahlberg proves himself a real actor, and puts to bed his Marky Mark persona. You can really believe he comes from a trailer park. He even makes the cover box art. The scene where Private Melvin gets a letter from his brother always makes me feel for the man, thinking about the kind of abuse he endured growing up. Haywood is right there, a friend keeping Melvin from sinking further into depression.

When Hobbes' voice over talks about Othello, it gets me wishing that a sequel focusing on Othello was/could be made. Gregory Hines as Sgnt. Cass was a simple performance, but endearing all the same. A fine actor now gone, no sequel for Sgnt. Cass.

The "star" Danny DeVito begins the film much like in his other performances, but later you realize that his character has given up a passion to make money. When Bill Rago sees this for himself, and realizes he's been pushing his daughter to do the same thing, there is a great change in the man.

As the cover states, "Sold Laughs", but also real dramatic heart. I think I will now go watch this movie again.
on November 28, 2013
I am past the cut off age to join the military now, but I like military movies and this movie made me think that some people have hard lives, I am lucky I did not experience that from any of the actors characters' points of view. The ridged boot camp in the movie was cool and I liked Devito's character, he introduces William Shakespeare to the army men and woman in the movie. It talks about war and how this group of misfits come together to achieve a common goal, to trust each other, especially in a time of war and to learn how to work hard for what you want and not to be handed any for free. The drill instructor Hines really did not like Devito's character but in the end grew to respect Devito's reason for teaching these student soldiers. Regina.
on January 18, 2008
They couldn't have picked a better cast if they tried in this movie. Danny DeVito should have won every award known to movies on this one. When he goes up the tower I could feel my muscles pulling for him to get him up on the swaying rope bridge. My stomach had thousands of butterflies as he scaled down the wall. I felt his fear every step of the way and the pain he had in his hands from the rope burns. The movie I feel actually gives quite a bit of attention to Danny's height or lack there of. But it is done so beautifully and yet it shows his inner strength and character stands tall! Whether you are a DeVito fan as I am or love military movies, you can't go wrong with this one. There is drama yet the one liners had me rolling with laughter. Basic training is given a whole new meaning for those of us that have never served in the military. The stamina our soldiers must have everyday rings clear. Although a fictional storyline, I was drawn in immediately to the story and it seemed as if I was there living in the drama and exerting the physical strength. Not only Danny DeVito but the whole cast should take a bow for a job superbly done!
on April 5, 2017
Great movie although I've seen it Seversl times over the last 25 or 30 years
My wife had not. And she loves it As do I.
on April 12, 2017
Love, Love, Love this movie. Husband was in the army and we loved watching this when we were stationed in Colorado and Georgia.
on May 9, 2017
Perfect, just what I needed. fits great, works perfect............more words are NOT needed, why does amazon do this...wasting my time.
on June 9, 2013
Very well put together story line. Holds your attention through out. Great Comedy with many people from different walks of Life. They all come from a different background and are all working for similar Goals. Good times through hard times to finding the true Blessings that are meant to be or Not to be. What are the Victories you seek and how do you find them. What are you running to and Running away from. You will find it in this movie that will leave you wanting more for each one of them that are looking for a better life. You can't go wrong with this one. Get the popcorn and a soda and kick back and enjoy the show !!!