Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Renegades Write the Rules: How the Digital Royalty Use Social Media to Innovate
Your Garage Buy 2 kids' books and save Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Totes Summer-Event-Garden Amazon Cash Back Offer PilotWave7B PilotWave7B PilotWave7B  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis DollyParton Shop Now STEM

on March 2, 2013
Ms. Martin has enjoyed tremendous success using Twitter to connect with fan base for her clients who are mostly sports figures or sports franchises. She is known as "The Twitter Queen." Engaging fans through social media, mostly Twitter, has propelled her clients, who include Shaquille O'Neal, to tremendous success. Ms. Martin promises to explore both of these and more celebrity-franchise-as-brands in greater detail. I found Renegades Write The Rules highly readable but short on significant substance. As I read, although I was entertained by her stories of celebrities from the sports world who are her primary customers, I became aware that she was holding real information. For this reason, I feel her work falls short of being a definitive social media guide. Fans of sports celebrities might enjoy it tremendously.

Ms. Martin's book is not broken down into chapters. She presents rules. There are eight of them in the book as subject headers. She has rules like Be The Media, Show Some Skin, Get Comfortable Being Uncomfortable. One of the things Ms. Martin does well in many of her examples is juxtaposition and she does this to illustrate these rules, contrasting successful and not-so-successful branding. Although she mostly uses the phrase "social media", she mostly means Twitter. Most of her illustrative examples are outlines of Twitter campaigns with a minor mention of Facebook every now and then.

Ms. Martin makes a convincing case for success in social media marketing requiring a management team willing to engage and alter some of their thinking. She offers kernels of wisdom, such as considering ROI not just to be "return on investment" but also "return on influence". Over and over she makes her case for the most successful campaigns coming from brands where upper management embraced the concept of employing social media (and she means Twitter) to exchange ideas with customers.

The book lacked specifics for my tastes, the reason for that becomes clear when one gets to the end of the book. This book leaves you wanting more and Ms. Martin is ready to offer that in her online university, Digital Royal University! Here one can take classes in such subjects as The Art of Social Media Event Activation and Emerging Platforms. This entire book appears to be an advertisement, albeit a highly enjoyable one.
on February 23, 2014
Amy Jo Martin's book was not an epiphany for me, it was a confirmation. I have a social media agency that also does crisis communications and social media training and have long been trying to fit my style of leading into the current social media strategy mold: this is how you get more followers, this is where you should be (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram), etc. This book helped me realize that my foundation was correct--I know how to write & implement marketing plans based on measurable goals, I know how to measure, I know that people connect with people, not logos. Amy's book helped me to realize that my instincts were right, and to go ahead and embrace the innovative side of marketing. Don't get me wrong, this book is loaded with high end practical social media marketing advice, but it won't excite everyone. If you're a follower, or always wanting to do the safe (same) thing, you probably won't get it. But if you feel you are a bit of a renegade and believe that failing fast leads to bigger success, this book is for you. An inspiration for renegades everywhere.
on September 28, 2012
I am so grateful for this book! I have had a social media allergy for years, painfully attempting to stay connected from a distance. I learned so much from Amy Jo Martin that I immediately began to use the techniques in her book "as if" someone might care. I mean, my first thought was "I'm no Shaq. Or The Rock. Or the CEO of Zappos. No one cares what I have to say." But, I decided to act as if they did. Thank goodness I knew what the magnitude of this platform could do if people started to care, because it's become an invaluable tool for helping me keep my mission and vision for the company strong in the midst of wonderful chaos!
on September 29, 2012
I found Amy Jo's book to be both innovative and inspiring. A must read for anyone wanting to create their own niche in the Social Media World. Amy Jo is a true leader and innovator in social media. Her views are a true inspiration, for anyone wanting to learn the true Social Media culture.Renegades Write the Rules: How the Digital Royalty Use Social Media to Innovate
on September 13, 2014
Good boo about twitter and how to utilize social media. You can also go to the website http://digitalroyaltyuniversity.com/course/8-royal-rules-part-1/ and get most of what is in the book for free. Also check out the youtube videos they have and you should be able to do what is in this book for free. Still a good buy though if you want to read.
on December 26, 2014
Encouraging to see that its bravery not money that makes social media awesome. Amy lets you know that no matter your budget your social channels are only as good as you work them and put yourself out there.
on December 29, 2013
Took a while to read this and I only really got into it once more than half way through and then it became a compelling read. It's a good read and really hammers home the use of Twitter and introduces some good new metrics to monitor.
on October 22, 2012
I wanted to share with Amazon visitors my review via the "I'm Reading" (Facebook app). "It's a risky thing to embrace social media, but the truth is that nothing worth doing is without risk." For those still sitting on the fence when it comes to using social media, you will enjoy and profit from Amy Jo Martin's book. An insightful comparison: "A home with hundred-year-old heart pine flooring is more ... valuable than one with laminate .... the value of social media is in the bumps, nicks and bruises that give your brand its unique humanity." Numerous examples of successful social media campaigns (with a focus on sports, but not exclusively), are provided; I found them eye-opening. I come to social media from a nonprofit perspective, and recently spoke at a conference full of skeptics. This book is refreshing with many lessons to be learned from real life. To whit, "Ultimately, people don't buy what you do; they buy why you do it."
on May 28, 2016
In April 2016 I read a thought leadership article that discussed how it took the world 25 years to understand electricity, and how to leverage it for growth, innovation and opportunity. The article then spoke to how we are currently in the same space with digital and social media. Amy Jo Martin and Digital Royalty are the exception. Not only did they immediately grasp the power of digital platforms, they also pioneered how brands / people / products could leverage social media environments, and more importantly, how social and digital environments could shape brands / people / products. It's an absolute must read for entrepreneurs to CEOs and everyone in between. It's as relevant today, if not more, than when it was written in 2012, can't recommend enough.
on November 17, 2014
I couldn't put this book down. This book is essential for anyone looking to build a brand or be a social figure. Social media is the present and the future and is essential to be apart of. Amy Jo Martin provides evidence for why and executes her stories like a pro. I love it and will be taking many notes during my next read.